PDA

View Full Version : Be careful on highway 2....

Perfect Dark
12-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I was coming back to Calgary on QE2 by Red Deer when bambi decided to introduce himself to my car :(

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/12/34423221844.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7270129)

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/12/34423323897.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7270190)

403Gemini
12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
It doesnt really matter what highway you're on, there are literally thousands of deer hits every year in alberta... im surprised alberta hasn't made them extinct yet.

Most importantly, you and your occupants okay?

The Cosworth
12-12-2007, 09:49 AM
damn, sorry to hear. It doesnt look like he came up over the hood and onto the windsheild.

Good thing your ok, RIP Deer

mekeni
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
good to hear that everyone is okei... xcept for the deer :(

Masked Bandit
12-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Did you keep the deer for sausage?

Perfect Dark
12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Everyone is okay, I had my wife and little girl in the car but no injuries at all.

Luckily my hood formed a nice ramp upon impact and launched the deer over my car instead of through it. It landed a good 100ft behind me. I was very surprised how well the Suby did, I was able to stop easily and no real neck-wrenching bang when he hit me.

Oh, and no sausage from this fella....he wasn't looking very edible.

rage2
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Glad to hear you're OK. You and your family are very lucky. Deer collisions on the highway can go both ways pretty easy!

kevie88
12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Fuck I hate deer.. long legged rodents is all they are!!

Sorry about your car!!

Perfect Dark
12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Glad to hear you're OK. You and your family are very lucky. Deer collisions on the highway can go both ways pretty easy!

Trust me I know just how lucky we are....I have seen what those accidents can look like.

I think the luckiest thing is that there was RCMP crawling all over the highway for whatever reason so my speed was actually at a very reasonable level.

rc2002
12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
How fast were you going when you hit it? Judging by the pics, looks like you had some significant slow down time. Glad you all walked away without injury.

Perfect Dark
12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
How fast were you going when you hit it? Judging by the pics, looks like you had some significant slow down time. Glad you all walked away without injury.

I was going approx 115kph when I hit. As far as slow down time there was none, one second he wasn't there and the next he was.

The only thing I can figure is that his head was turned and I didn't see the reflection of his eyes.

dennisaur
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
i've hit a deer before so i know what it's like to go through that, glad to hear the family's okay though

Masked Bandit
12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

I was going approx 115kph when I hit. As far as slow down time there was none, one second he wasn't there and the next he was.

The only thing I can figure is that his head was turned and I didn't see the reflection of his eyes.

Usually you don't get too much warning with deer. They basically jump out of the ditch onto the road and SMACK! Glad to hear you and the family are okay.

ekguy
12-12-2007, 10:59 AM
thank god it wasn't a moose....do we have moose in alberta???

SpoonEK9@STRD
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
RIP Deer. We will miss you.

littledan
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
ya we have moose in alberta. i hit one coming back from ft.crack last year. i was in a chevy astro ext van. someone had just hit the moose and was pulled off to the side in the opposite direction. i'm coming southbound and its dead of night very dark and you cant see shit. buddy that had jsut hit the moose, being the genious that he is, is just parked there with his headlights on no hazards... doenst flash his high beams or warn me in any way. before you know it BANG i hit the moose and was launched into the air with all 4 wheels off the ground. landed on all 4 wheels and was in the ditch going about 75kph sideways... in a van! luckily i managed to turn into the skid and kept it upright and didnt hit any trees before coming to a stop.

inside of my van looked as though a bomb had gone off and somehow my rear wiper was activated. got out and thought my car would be a write off. NOPE! turns out chevy builds this beast fucking strong! nursed it home witha crooked steering wheel and my nammer mechanic had it back on the road for $400 bucks! only suspension damage! and a little moose hair on the front grill. i'm just lucky it had already been hit and was 1/2 laying down when i smoked it causing it to be used as a ramp.

big semi truck came along and pushed it into the ditch. thing was huge! covered the lanes in both directions!@

Supa Dexta
12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I've avoided over 15 deer, 4 moose, and 3 wolves in the last several days (and one crazy little rabbit, ha).. one moose was way to close dancing at the front of my bumper with my low beams on, and the truck sideways... :thumbsdow

mark4091
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
From what I've heard about hitting deer.....especially at that speed you're car held up well to say the least.

Jay911
12-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Good to hear you're ok. Hope your 06 Subie fares better than mine did... punched a doe at full gallop (for both of us.. deer running across Hwy 22, me at 100 kph) last May and totaled the car. It took out the front grille and hood of my 06 WRX and its face left an oily print on the windshield (but didn't crack it) before it sailed over the top on the left side and got finished by the guardrail posts on the other side of the road.

Airbags did not go off and I braked to a stop on the shoulder. The damage looked not too bad at first...

http://www.jay911.org/images/rex/10-05-07_0543.jpg

Headlights, radiator, grille, hood and hood scoop, radiator brace, fans, and plastic coolant bottle appeared damaged to begin with.

SoC sent it to Contemporary Coachworks (I just had it towed to Subaru not knowing they couldn't deal with it there). Upon opening things up, they found the timing belt shroud was shattered and said they would have some serious issues if the plastic shards had jammed into the timing belt/pulleys while the motor was still running. When they stripped that down and started up the car to see if the timing was still intact, they found that the deer's impact had bent down the water pump and alternator, cracking the block. That put the $ amount way over the cost of repair.

Now got an 07 WRX... got slightly less than was left on the 06 from the insurance co, and carrying the balance on the payments for the 07. Car held up amazingly well for the impact it took, IMO.

Perfect Dark
12-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Looks like Subaru has designed their hoods to become projectile ramps upon impact lol.

Your damage sounds alot like mine does, almost everything you mentioned is toasted on mine (I have no idea about the engine though, couldn't see much) I am praying for a writeoff though, with the backlog at collision shops it would take forever to get my car back :(

Perfect Dark
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
So 3 months later I finally have my car back.

I am friggin stoked though, it's like I am driving it for the first time again. Now begins install on the pile of parts I have waiting for me...so much to do before DTP!