PDA

View Full Version : Importing Honda from US - HELP!

Potato
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I have made a deposit on an Acura in the US to import. When I called American Honda to obtain a Recall Clearance Letter (as required by RIV for the federal inspection) they said that under no circumstances will American Honda issue a Recall Clearance Letter to a Canadian importing an American car into Canada. The only way they will issue this letter is if the car is already owned by an American citizen, and they provide evidence of their citizenship, who owns the car in the US and is moving to Canada. They said this has always been the case and it is to prevent competition between the American and Canadian markets... but I know of Hondas that have been brought into Canada so I am confused but have some hope.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get around this???

Thank you!!!!

analbumcover
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
lol, next time research before you put a downpayment on a vehicle, and if its at a dealership those bastards should have told you beforehand.

you're looped

at least you'll learn for next time

Potato
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I put a refundable deposit on the car - there is no issue of me being screwed financially. But I really want this car and researched for a month for it.

I have known first hand three people who have imported cars and this letter was not an issue at all. It was a simple, no hassle phone call then it was received by fax.

My question is for anyone who has an American Honda - how did you get around this issue?

The Cosworth
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda/Acura had stated this a few months ago, there was even a thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Something to the effect that not only will they not honor the warranty, but the dealers can get in major shit from the manufacturer to sell the car to a canadian, hence why they require all the proof to cover their asses. I am going off memory so not sure if this is right.

clem24
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Yo

First, it was new policy established in November that Honda/Acura will no longer sell to Canadians. Warranty was never transferrable to begin with, but at least you could still buy it before November.

Second, make sure you car is actually eligible, as many '08 Hondas are no longer eligible under the new rules.

Third, if the dealership sold you the car KNOWING that you are Canadian, then have the DEALER write up a recall letter under their letterhead. Who gives a shit what happens to the dealer if Honda/Acura finds out. That's their problem.

We got in before Honda instituted the new rules and the dealer was able to provide said letter. If I am correct, this letter is actually not necessary if there are no open recalls for your car. But it's safer to have it in hand.

Good luck.

rage2
12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by clem24
We got in before Honda instituted the new rules and the dealer was able to provide said letter. If I am correct, this letter is actually not necessary if there are no open recalls for your car. But it's safer to have it in hand.
The recall letter is absolutely necessary. How else will RIV know there's no recalls on your vehicle? Take your word for it? LOL

Potato
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
It is a 2004 RSX and it is not from an Acura Dealer but a Re-Sell Dealer. Can they still issue this letter? Or can they obtain it from American Honda?

benyl
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
No, you have to go to a Honda or Acura dealer. They need to check the database to see if all the recalls have been performed on your car.

Potato
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Anyone who has actually imported a Honda have any suggestions??

kaput
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM

Potato
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
That makes sense to me, I hope it works!

badseed
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
lol, next time research before you put a downpayment on a vehicle, and if its at a dealership those bastards should have told you beforehand.

you're looped

at least you'll learn for next time

Good advice idiot, what a waste of a post.

Recall letter does not need to be in your name, you must just have possion of it. If you know someone who is a US citizen, maybe they can request it?

benyl
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
They won't give out the information unless you own the car.

Potato
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Do you think that because I have called Honda and they have made notes in their computer on that VIN number that I am trying to get the recall letter, the current owner (the dealer) may have problems getting it for me?? Stupid question, I'm sorry.

clem24
12-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2

The recall letter is absolutely necessary. How else will RIV know there's no recalls on your vehicle? Take your word for it? LOL

I thought this was a new car.. In which case, there probably aren't any recalls on it, so the recall letter is a just in case. Running the car through carfax can show what recalls were issued for the car. RIV can issue the form 2 without the recall letter on a new car.

But seeing as it's a 2004, then yes, recall letter is necessary.

But now.. Just curious. How much can you possibly have saved on a 2004 RSX to make this worthwhile? Esp. now that you'll need to pay the duty on it as well (Japanese made), plus GST (vs. if you just bought locally from a private sale). AND.. that you're buying it from a stealership.

clem24
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Potato
Anyone who has actually imported a Honda have any suggestions??

Um... Read my post again. We imported one 2 months ago.

johnny.r1.lee
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
umm im not sure if the rules have changed,

but you can sign up for honda owners link or something on the american honda website, enter in ur new cars vin#, and i know from experience they used to honor the print out of the website where it tells you there are no outstanding recalls...

that may not be the case but I would look into it.
i imported a s2000 almost 2 years ago

Potato
12-12-2007, 01:04 PM
This is what I got off the RIV website:

In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question

If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.

Does this mean only an actual Acura dealership or are certain dealers "authorized" to sell "Honda Certified" pre-owned Acuras?

:confused:

benyl
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by clem24

I thought this was a new car.. In which case, there probably aren't any recalls on it, so the recall letter is a just in case. Running the car through carfax can show what recalls were issued for the car. RIV can issue the form 2 without the recall letter on a new car.

Recalls happen all the time. Even new cars on the lot will have recalls.

You will not get form 2 without a recall letter for ANY car, new or used.

Potato
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks to everyone who had some input on this issue. For those who thought they knew, here's what I found out myself:

I just spoke to RIV and they said when importing a Honda/Acura, you do not need to obtain a recall letter because they know honda won't do it. They will check the VIN themselves on the Honda Ownerlink website to see about any recalls. Just send them the payment and they will send you the form 2.