PDA

View Full Version : Jones Stripped of Medals

SilverGS
12-12-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22215224/

Hmmm it maybe easier just to allow all substances to make things a level playing field. Seems like a lot of "top" athletes are on something

Darkane
12-12-2007, 05:36 PM
All athletes except Rob Hope, world champion Natural bodybuilder :D

But yes I agree, to much substance usage in pro sports.

topmade
12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I was about to say this was old news cause I heard of this a while ago, but I guess it just became official.

They should make two divisions: All natural athletes and Steroided up athletes. I'd watch the sterioded ones, they'd be more fun to watch :D

benyl
12-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Too bad the steroid ones would die in their 40s from a number of different diseases...

three.eighteen.
12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Too bad the steroid ones would die in their 40s from a number of different diseases...

there still is a difference between steroid use and steroid abuse...while both are cheating (and morally reprehensible), i think athletes that have attainable goals and only use steroids in limited quantities to simply enhance performance are not really endangering their lives (from a physical standpoint) too much, no more than smoking lightly or eating trans fats...whereas straight up juicers or pro-wrestlers (meatheads of some sort) that abuse steroids simply for size have a pretty good chance of dying in their mid 40s

icecreamvan
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Don't care. I'd watch which ever is more exciting. Sumo wrestlers die young too.

urbannomad
12-12-2007, 06:55 PM
there should be a council on sport substance abuse. something like the olympics but a wide ranging council taking into consideration ALL SPORT on a compettitive level. But that, as we all know will be the day when pigs fly!
they should at least set something up for the NHL, NFL, MLS, NBA, CFL, and other pro leagues in the US and Canada...maybe that would be a good stepping point.

I'm glad she got stripped of her medals, they should do the same for Bonds also. if you are caught with drugs, which i know barry isn't being persecuted for that. It's actually perjury. Then they should erase their individual stats. It sounds weird but it would work.

Street_Soldier
12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Wouldn't it be wicked if you came in 4th all the times shes won a medal. Does that mean you get a medal now after all those years?

FiveFreshFish
12-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Wouldn't it be wicked if you came in 4th all the times shes won a medal. Does that mean you get a medal now after all those years?

I think so. It would be good that you finally get a medal, but shitty because you were robbed of the opportunity to stand on the podium.

Hakkola
12-13-2007, 12:23 AM

What's your point? I want to be entertained, if they want to make money and kill themselves for it, what's wrong with that?

5hift
12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad

I'm glad she got stripped of her medals, they should do the same for Bonds also. if you are caught with drugs, which i know barry isn't being persecuted for that. It's actually perjury. Then they should erase their individual stats. It sounds weird but it would work.

In the case of Jones, she should be stripped, but not because she juiced (btw why did it take four years for this to come out, she has 20 inch biceps, a 8 pack and tree trunks for legs, I coulda told you she was using the first time I saw her). She should be stripped because she was competing against amateur athlethes in a competition based on the idea of fair competition. If she was a professional athlete in a organized league however, doing whatever you can get away with for a edge is fair game.

Professional sports are not about fairness etc, they are about making money. Games are not fair to begin with, some teams are stacked with talent, some maintain talent barely above the minimum salary caps. Its not like players cheating and getting away with it are offsetting some balance of equality in the leagues. Players are also getting huge amounts of pressure to increase performance and get better from coaches and trainers. If they aren't abusing substances they are doing something else deemed illegal by the leagues. NFL recievers used to wear shoulder pads made for kids because they allowed more movement and weighed less. These shoulder pads were banned by the league because they were dangerous and offered no protection from hits. That gave recievers an edge, should those that were caught with these pads multiple times have their stats removed? Should we take away Jagr's stats in the NHL because 90% of his goals were scored with an illegal curve?

Abusing substances to gain an edge in sports isnt something new. This has been going on since professional sports turned into a money making business. The only difference is they have moved from common stimulants to chemcials cooked up in labs. Hell everyone here should be able to relate to the NHL, why do you think so many players used to always have cold medication on them?

Everyone forgets Bonds was a MVP when he was still a skinny kid with the Pirates. Roids boosted his HR totals, but his speed dropped causing his steals to drop. His batting average was always high. Its not like the Roids made him the star. If they strip Bonds of his stats because he juiced, are they going to remove the stats of every player outed later this afternoon when the Mitchell Report is released? Almost every power slugger and a ton of ace pitchers juice. Giambi, Tejada, Palmero, Bagwell, Canseco, McGwire, Sheffield, I could go on for days. You remove every steroid user, a ton of records, hall of famers and stats will disapear. The only reason Bonds is getting crucified is because he is an arrogant black man with a god superiority complex and sitting a top of the home run list.

If you want to put a asterix besides Bonds on the stats because being juiced racked up his stats, you should do the same to Babe Ruth, since he never played against Black or Hispanic players, racking up stats playing weaker competition in all-white leagues.

heinz256
12-13-2007, 03:47 AM
I feel sorry for her teammates because they might get stripped of their medal too since they were on the relay team with Jones when they won two of the medals

SilverGS
12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier

Thats part of the problem they haven't decided if they are going to move everyone up yet. In the 100m I believe second place was also caught juicing a year later or something so they don't want to give her the gold. They are considering leaving the medals blank.

That would suck for 4th place.

kertejud2
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

What's your point? I want to be entertained, if they want to make money and kill themselves for it, what's wrong with that?

Because thats not what the Olympics are about. And without the Olympics, most sports lose basically all money making ability they might have.

Splooge
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
steroid users are cheaters in sports. if they get busted with it, it's their own damn fault. they should just stop the whining, and accept the consequences of using it.

kertejud2
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Splooge
steroid users are cheaters in sports. if they get busted with it, it's their own damn fault. they should just stop the whining, and accept the consequences of using it.

Indeed. We can debate all we want about the steroid games or whatever else, but the fact is that in every competetive field of Olympic sport around the world these substances are banned which means the athletes are knowingly breaking the rules. Not only that, but they are knowingly trying to cover it up as well.