PDA

View Full Version : restaurant open Christmas day

smc
12-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Are there any nice resturants open in Calgary on Christmas day?

Sorath
12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
chinese LOL

they are open 24/7

benyl
12-13-2007, 12:39 AM
A large majority are open. Just call the ones you want to go to.

Speed_69
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
yup..all chinese restaurants will be haha

turbotrip
12-13-2007, 12:51 AM
i remember dennys was open last year

smc
12-13-2007, 12:54 AM
I was hopping for something higher class than Denny's. Ethnic would be ok as long as it is a nice. Any "fancy" joints open on christmas?

gatorade
12-13-2007, 02:10 AM
silver dragon

tson
12-13-2007, 02:39 AM
u callin chineeeee not fancy

Kritafo
12-13-2007, 08:00 AM
We go to Happy Valley every Christmas...yeah...not exact classy...but Happy Hill is probably open, little nicer and the food is always good.

My family totally hates turkey, stuffing and pretty much all that food. So I end up just making turkey for myself either Boxing day or Christmas eve.

Going out makes clean up fabulous!

smc
12-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by tson
u callin chineeeee not fancy

Don't get me wrong, there are some very fancy chinese restaurants, I just havn't been to any in Calgary.

B20EF
12-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Thomsons Restaurant in the Hyatt, it's not a regular hotel restaurant, it's actually pretty good

01RedDX
12-14-2007, 01:16 AM

rawsensation
12-14-2007, 01:20 AM
ho won lol cause that place is really fancy :rofl:
but on the flip side the food is good thou can't complain i'd rather have better tasting food than a fancy joint that serves average food

smc
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Raw Bar in the hotel arts is any good?

signature7
12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
i've been to fancy chinese...but the food was horrible

dragonone
12-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl
A large majority are open. Just call the ones you want to go to.

all the fancier ones are closed

i called: the catch, oceana, centini, metro grill, murietta's.... all closed 24+25

topmade
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Ho Won :thumbsup:
You might want to bring some snacks and pillows.

will_e_chill
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
i think viet restos are open on christmas, but at the risk of slagging my own, i might not call all of them "nice"... :D

urban.one
12-18-2007, 12:21 PM
You guys trying to re-create "A Christmas Story"??

ashee
12-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Carriage House Inn, they have good Christmas dinners.

nj2Type-S
12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
You guys trying to re-create "A Christmas Story"??

that's the first thing that popped into my head right when i saw these chinese food suggestions, hahaha :rofl:

TurboZombie
12-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
We go to Happy Valley every Christmas...yeah...not exact classy...but Happy Hill is probably open, little nicer and the food is always good.

My family totally hates turkey, stuffing and pretty much all that food. So I end up just making turkey for myself either Boxing day or Christmas eve.

Going out makes clean up fabulous!

Might not want to go to Happy Valley, see below:

Environmental Health
IN THE MATTER OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH ACT – ALBERTA
ORDER OF AN EXECUTIVE OFFICER
To: Tommy Ho/Happy Valley Restaurant
Unit D, 100 - 3rd Ave. SE
Calgary, Alberta T2G 0B7
Re: The Food Establishment located in Calgary, Alberta and municipally described as:
Happy Valley Restaurant
Unit D -100 3rd Ave. S.E.
Calgary, Alberta

WHEREAS I, an Executive Officer of the Calgary Health Region, have inspected the above noted Food Establishment pursuant to the provisions of the Public Health Act, RSA 2000, c. P-37, as amended;
AND WHEREAS such inspection disclosed that the following conditions exist in and about the above noted food establishment which are or may become injurious or dangerous to the public health or which might hinder the prevention or suppression of disease, namely:
a. Cooked foods were being dried on the stairwell at room temperature,
b. Foods were left in dirty stairwell,
c. Cleaned dishes removed from dishwasher placed on dirty surfaces,
d. Floors and shelves had excessive food spills and were dirty,
e. Cockroaches seen running on preparation surfaces,
f. Foods left uncovered and exposed to cockroaches as premises heavily infested,
g. Partially covered bins of food beneath the dishwasher scrap sink,
h. Uncovered containers of food stacked one atop another in cooler units,
i. Cooked and raw foods stored next to each other; and raw meats stored above cooked foods,
j. Eggs stored on floor near exit at 14-17 degrees Celsius,
k. Walk in cooler latch broken, not closing properly foods measured 11-18 degrees Celsius,
l. Pop cooler not working - sticky rice and other foods measured 21 degrees Celsius and
m. Perishable sauces left at room temperature under the counter near the cook line and measured at 21 degrees Celsius.,
Re: The Food Establishment located in Calgary, Alberta and municipally described as Unit D, 100 3rd Ave SE Calgary, Alberta
AND WHEREAS such inspection disclosed that the following breaches of the Public Health Act Food Regulation, Alberta Regulation 31/2006 and the Food Retail and Foodservices Code 2003 exist in and about the above noted food establishment, namely:
a. Cooked foods being dried on stairwell at room temperature which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 25 (1) which states: All high risk foods must be stored, displayed and transported at a temperature of (a) not more than 4 degrees Celsius or such higher temperature , or (b) not less than 60 degrees Celsius or such lower temperature
b. Foods left in dirty stairwell which is a breach of AR 31.2006 section 23 (1) which states: All food used in a commercial food establishment must be (a) protected from contamination and (b) handled in a sanitary manner
c. Cleaned dishes removed from dishwasher are placed on dirty surfaces which is a breach of the Alberta Food Retail and Foodservices Code 2003 section 4.2.5 (c) which states: Equipment, food contact surfaces and utensils should be stored in a place and manner that prevents contamination
d. Floors and shelves had excessive food spills and were dirty which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 28 (1) which states: A commercial food establishment, all equipment and utensils in it and all surfaces in it with which food comes into contact must be maintained in a sanitary condition and, without limiting the foregoing, must be washed and sanitised in a manner that removes contamination
e. Cockroaches seen running on preparation surfaces which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 21 (1) which states: The commercial food establishment and any surrounding area, premises or facilities supporting the commercial food establishment must be kept free of pests and of conditions that lead to the harbouring or breeding of pests (11) A written record of all pest control measures used in the commercial food establishment and surrounding area, premises and facilities referred to in subsection (1) must be maintained
f. Foods left uncovered and exposed to cockroaches as premises heavily infested which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 23 (1) which states: All food used or to be used in a commercial food establishment must be (a) protected from contamination and (b) handled in a sanitary manner
g. Uncovered containers of food stacked one atop another in cooler units which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 23 (1) which states: All food used or to be used in a commercial food establishment must be (a) protected from contamination and (b) handled in a sanitary manner
h. Cooked and raw foods stored next to each other; and raw meats stored above cooked foods which is a breach of the Alberta Food Retail and Foodservices Code 2003 section 3.5.1 (d) which states: Raw or unprocessed food shall be kept separated from ready to eat foods
i. Eggs stored on floor near exit at 14-17 degrees Celsius which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 25 (1) (3) which states: Subsection (1) does not apply to whole raw shell eggs which must be stored, displayed, packaged or transported at a temperature not exceeding 7 degrees Celsius or such other temperature as an executive officer stipulates under subsection (4)
j. Walk in cooler latch broken, not closing properly; foods measured 11-18 degrees Celsius which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 28 (3) (a) which states: All equipment and utensils in a commercial food establishment must be kept in good
Re: The Food Establishment located in Calgary, Alberta and municipally described as Unit D, 100 3rd Ave SE Calgary, Alberta
working order and condition and also a breach of section 25 (1) (a) all high risk foods must be stored at a temperature of not more than 4degrees Celsius or such higher temperature
k. Pop cooler not working. Sticky rice and other foods measured 21 degrees Celsius and perishable sauces left at room temperature under the counter near the cook line: measured at 21 degrees Celsius which is a breach of section 25 (1)(a) all high risk foods must be stored at a temperature of not more than 4degrees Celsius or such higher temperature or (b) not less than 60 degrees Celsius or such lower temperature
l. No written cleaning procedures or records kept which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 29 (1) which states: A commercial food establishment must have written procedures designed to ensure its safe and sanitary operation and maintenance
m. Inadequate pest control records kept which is a breach of AR 31/2006 section 21 (2) which states: A written record of all pest control measures used in the commercial food establishment and surrounding area, premises and facilities referred to in subsection (1) must be maintained
AND WHEREAS by virtue of the foregoing, the above noted premises are hereby declared to be closed;
NOW THEREFORE, I hereby ORDER and DIRECT:
1. That the Owner immediately close the above noted food establishment
2. That the Owner undertake and diligently pursue the completion of the following work in and about the above noted food establishment, namely:
a. Thoroughly clean all floors, shelves, equipment including coolers, storage bins and utensils;
b. Repair/ replace upright (pop) cooler;
c. Repair latch to walk in cooler;
d. Ensure all foods are covered and protected;
e. Store all foods in food grade containers with tight fitting lids;
f. Have premises treated by a certified pest control company for cockroach infestation;
g. Clean and sanitise food contact surfaces and storage areas;
h. Re-organise kitchen to ensure that foods are not stored in areas of potential contamination such as beneath the scrap tray of the dishwasher;
i. Provide clean and sanitary counters /surfaces for placement and storage of cleaned dishes and utensils;
j. Store foods only in approved food storage areas of the commercial food establishment;
k. Store whole shell eggs at temperatures of 7 degrees Celsius or lower;
l. Store all other perishable foods at 4 degrees Celsius or below, or 60 degrees Celsius or above;
m. Store raw or unprocessed foods beneath and away from cooked or ready to eat foods;
n. Prepare a written cleaning schedule for the food establishment to include cleaning requirements for all areas of the establishment, chemicals to be used and staff responsible for each task;
o. Keep cleaning records to include areas cleaned, dates and staff/companies performing procedures;
p. Keep pest control records to include dates, control action taken, company /person supplying services and pesticides/measures used;
q. Provide documentation form the pest control operator that the cockroach infestation has been eliminated.
3. That, until such time as the work referred to in paragraph 2 is completed to the satisfaction of the undersigned, or an executive officer of the Calgary Health Region, the above noted premises shall remain closed.
Dated at Calgary, Alberta, this 31st day of May, 2007.
Section 5(2) of the Public Health Act provides that a person who is directly affected by this Order and considers himself or herself aggrieved hereby may appeal the same to the Public Health Appeal Board, 24th Floor, Telus Plaza North Tower, 10025 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton AB T5J 2N3, within ten (10) days. The terms of this Order remain in effect notwithstanding the filing or proposed filing of any such appeal.
The Owner is advised that the Public Health Act empowers the Calgary Health Region to carry out the terms of this Order on the Owner's behalf and at the Owner's expense should the Owner fail to comply with the terms hereof.

dragonone
12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
oh come on, EVERY SINGLE chinese place makes those faults, if not even high class and caucasian places
the 'idea' is to go to those information classes about food safety/spoilage/health, than the inspectors check less

there's an old chinese saying that if u can't see it, it's clean. and i doubt it can kill me, if i get sick, it's a nice lawsuit

shawtie
12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Thats sick....if every chinese place is like THAT, I will never eat chinese again!!

gpomp
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
oh come on, EVERY SINGLE chinese place makes those faults, if not even high class and caucasian places
the 'idea' is to go to those information classes about food safety/spoilage/health, than the inspectors check less

there's an old chinese saying that if u can't see it, it's clean. and i doubt it can kill me, if i get sick, it's a nice lawsuit
yes i'm sure every chinese restaurant has open food lying around with cockroaches running all over it.

rmk
12-19-2007, 12:40 PM

nice.

dragonone
12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

yes i'm sure every chinese restaurant has open food lying around with cockroaches running all over it.

wanna tell me a couple places where u know the owner and have been in the back kitchen? and if u didn't know, the kitchen's the smoker's room as well, and i'm thinking that shouldn't be allowed

grrrouch
12-19-2007, 06:00 PM

and if u didn't know, the kitchen's the smoker's room as well,

dude you dont know what the hell your talking about. maybe at el-taco restaurnt in mexico the kitchen is considered the "smoking room" But ive worked at quite a few restaurants and never have we even been allowed in the back with lit darts, let alone the kitchen.

dragonone
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
i won't name the ones i've smoked in for their sake
but i can think of 4 that i frequent

i didn't say they were all dirty, i was just saying there's no need to be over sensitive about these restaurant hygeine. do ppl know about these health inspections? yes. do ppl still go to happy hill? yes.

how 'bout we go back on topic:drama:

toyboy88
12-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Golden Inn.

Isaiah
12-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Christmas bump. Any others?

pf0sh0
12-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Any pizza places open? I'm craving pizza, don't haveanything at home to eat.

turbotrip
12-25-2007, 07:25 PM
^lol :werd: i dont have shit to eat and need to find somewhere that will deliver

Team_Mclaren
12-25-2007, 07:29 PM
werd, pizza would be fucking good right now.

Weapon_R
12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Vogglios is open too :D

Team_Mclaren
12-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Vogglios is open too :D

doesnt that place take like 2 hours to make a damn pizza tho? lol why cant everyone think like the chinese, its an extra day to make more money

pf0sh0
12-25-2007, 08:17 PM
cause no one can be chinese like the chinese

max_boost
12-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by TurboZombie

Might not want to go to Happy Valley, see below:

After the notice was served, the owner spent $100k doing renos to the kitchen and cleaned it all up.

I went to Happy Hill tonight (same owner). It was so good. :drool:

prefirimp
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank you, this is good news for other visitors

Electric adjustable beds prices and reviews (http://adjustablebedsprices.org)

eglove
09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
seriously, wtf is with all the fucking n00bs bumping 1-2 year old threads??

n1zm0
09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by prefirimp
Thank you, this is good news for other visitors

Electric adjustable beds prices and reviews (http://adjustablebedsprices.org)

lol 'it' also tried to fake it's signature line, adjustable beds are for old hags, GTFO

jwslam
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i remember dennys was open last year
\yes i know this thread is 2 years old
\yes i know the op said more high class than denny's

my 2 cents: denny's only closes 3pm xmas to 6am boxing day each year.
this year i got the memo that we'll be 24 hours

sdiep
09-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Robots are getting good.

J403
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by smc
Can anyone tell me if the Raw Bar in the hotel arts is any good?

I used to serve @ Hotel Arts.
Raw Bar good isn't that great for the price.
It's nice in the summer when you get to sit pool side on the patio, but that's about it lol

nonlinear
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
xTq20prt0K8