PDA

View Full Version : Land Surveying/Geomatics

johnny.r1.lee
12-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Any of you in the profession of landsurveying or geomatics???

Do you enjoy it?
Anything you'd warn other people about?

hockey_fan59
12-13-2007, 01:23 PM
its a decent job if you dont mind hard work. pays well but thats only because of huge overtime hours.

winters are tough. depending on who you work for, you do building services. meaning you hammer metal spikes into the ground.

i've never actaully been full time in the industry, but i did some while i was a summer student for Stantec. i worked alongside them a lot of the time.

Antonito
12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by johnny.r1.lee
Any of you in the profession of landsurveying or geomatics???

Do you enjoy it?
Anything you'd warn other people about?

All the guys I went to school with that were in that program love it, but they are outdoorsy guys, so the rain and snow don't bug them.

If you hate being indoors, it 's a great job. If the weather bugs you, it's a terrible job.

johnny.r1.lee
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
i've also done survey work in the summer,
im just wondering what life is like after your are a commissioned surveyor

Supa Dexta
12-14-2007, 11:33 PM
And depending on what your doing it can be scattered work, if theres not much oil activity, there wont be much for them to do in regards to that.. I spent some time with several of them last winter here and there, I needed to get them to do little jobs and clear several ~150m lines of sight, and set up a base az for me.. I was doing geomagnetic surveying, I always had to go along behind them and pull out the spikes though.. ha, since it would throw off my surveys.... Cold as F*ck standing around doing that all january in macmurray though....

4DoorGTZ
12-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I miss the bush surveying, been stuck on a plantsite doing construction/industrial surveying for almost a year. But, I've got a schedule, guarenteed work till the end of summer, and I'm only 2hrs from home.

Bongo
12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I've also done survey work in the summer,
im just wondering what life is like after your are a commissioned surveyor

You usually spend most of your time in the office after you get your commission.

I miss the bush surveying, been stuck on a plantsite doing construction/industrial surveying for almost a year. But, I've got a schedule, guarenteed work till the end of summer, and I'm only 2hrs from home.

Bush surveying is great, plant sites not so much, although being two hours from home must be nice.

winters are tough. depending on who you work for, you do building services

Pile jobs, how I hate you. We are doing a lot more flagging in the winter now too. Winter is also when there is a lot of legal that gets done in BC. BC does completes legal after everything is built, unlike AB that posts everything at the time of construction.

4DoorGTZ
12-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I would definetly say with the patch slowing down and with the number of surveyors I see around now there are going to be a lot of them/us looking elsewhere for employment. (field crews)

The somewhat small company I'm with has at least 4 trucks sitting in the office, thats out of aprox 25-30 crews. Lots of the work down south has dried up and guys from Med Hat are up in Cold Lake/Conklin

4runneron36s
12-19-2007, 11:51 PM
I like it. Actually I love the job but don't always like the work. Bugs, heat, and cold get to you but it's not that bad. I have half a year of field time left till I'm back in the office and then a commission sometime after that.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.