PDA

View Full Version : Sports Related Jobs

Ajay
12-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the prospects of sports related jobs in Calgary. Things along the lines of marketing or sales for professional sports teams in and around Calgary. From my research this city doesn't seem like a hotbed of activity for this type of field. Curious to know if anyone has experience in this?

badatusrnames
12-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I think you probably need to have connections to get in with the pro teams around here at least, they seem to hire within small circles of friends and family. I know some people (sisters) that worked in the Stamps front office and got the job through their parents connections with the team.

I think it would just be incredibly difficult to get your foot in the door if you don't know anyone personally. Not to mention that like you said, it's a pretty small job market and there probably is only a small number of jobs in the field with very limited turnover anyways.

I think Sport Chek is usually hiring though :)

CCM Pro
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I work for the Flames and it indeed is tough...I do not notice the hiring within family etc... but networking is the key...volunteering as well helps to build the proper relationships.

kertejud2
12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the prospects of sports related jobs in Calgary. Things along the lines of marketing or sales for professional sports teams in and around Calgary. From my research this city doesn't seem like a hotbed of activity for this type of field. Curious to know if anyone has experience in this?

Unless you know somebody its almost impossible to get that kind of job. With essentially 3 pro sports teams (4 if you want to imclude the Hitmen) there aren't that many spots open to begin with.