PDA

View Full Version : 14 day license plate rule?

nodoubtt
12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I've heard that if you buy a new car and haven't gotten a license pate on it, that you can put a license plate from another car that you have registered on it for up to 14 days from date of purchase?
is there any truth to this statement?

calepeters
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
yes there is, if you have another car, and transer the insurance from the old car to the new car, you have 14 days to get registration

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:53 AM
You can use the plate of another car under the following circumstances:

1. The car you're driving has insurance. there is no grace period for this. You insurance company has to have your VIN/make/model and have given you a pink card.

2. The car you have taken the plate from has to have been sold or traded.

3. You must keep a bill of sale for the car you bought and the old you sold (took the plate off)

If you didn't sell you car but want to use its plate write up a alberta bill of sale to a friend or family member to keep in the car with you. Its technically a legal document but as long as your friend or family member doesn't have it they don't own your car. shred it when you've got the new plate registered.

This will definately save you the $225 ticket. Also don't let anyone fool you into thinking you have a 14 day grace period on insurance. You don't. No company will cover a car that wasn't insured with them prior to a loss. Lots of people like to tell you this but try to give a cop the insurance for a different vehicle when he pulls you over and use that excuse. Better yet, get in a collision and call your company to cover it.

TomcoPDR
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by calepeters
yes there is, if you have another car, and transer the insurance from the old car to the new car, you have 14 days to get registration

Edit: nevermind, I'm not completely sure to answer this :D

G-ZUS
12-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
You can use the plate of another car under the following circumstances:

1. The car you're driving has insurance. there is no grace period for this. You insurance company has to have your VIN/make/model and have given you a pink card.

2. The car you have taken the plate from has to have been sold or traded.

3. You must keep a bill of sale for the car you bought and the old you sold (took the plate off)

If you didn't sell you car but want to use its plate write up a alberta bill of sale to a friend or family member to keep in the car with you. Its technically a legal document but as long as your friend or family member doesn't have it they don't own your car. shred it when you've got the new plate registered.

This will definately save you the $225 ticket. Also don't let anyone fool you into thinking you have a 14 day grace period on insurance. You don't. No company will cover a car that wasn't insured with them prior to a loss. Lots of people like to tell you this but try to give a cop the insurance for a different vehicle when he pulls you over and use that excuse. Better yet, get in a collision and call your company to cover it.

You don't have to keep a bill of sale for the car you sold, I've done this a couple times and I managed to get my plate checked and pulled over because the plate doesn't match my car, I tell him I just bought the car, insurance, bill of sale, drivers license and they have never asked me for the bill of sale from my old car.

Funny thing is, last car I sold. The guy thought he had 14 days to transfer insurance, I told him no you don't, he insisted he does, so off he went. Calls me and tells me he got a no insurance ticket for $2800

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Actually the rule is a common misconception. My wife just came back from a course in insurance where they told her the REAL rule. You have 14 days for INSURANCE and REGISTRATION. Even most cops dont know this rule...they all think its just registration. Its not...

The thing is, you have to have had insurance on your old car that you sold, and it still has to be active. Also, you need to know that coverage will be the same ie. if you just got a brand new car, and you get in an accident, dont expect to be covered for collision if you didnt have it on your old car. Its a good idea to keep your pink slip from your old car too.

The lady that taught the course has been in the industry for 27 years, and knows all of the rules. She even said that most cops are like "what?, no way"

hope that helped

TomcoPDR
12-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Actually the rule is a common misconception. My wife just came back from a course in insurance where they told her the REAL rule. You have 14 days for INSURANCE and REGISTRATION. Even most cops dont know this rule...they all think its just registration. Its not...

The thing is, you have to have had insurance on your old car that you sold, and it still has to be active. Also, you need to know that coverage will be the same ie. if you just got a brand new car, and you get in an accident, dont expect to be covered for collision if you didnt have it on your old car. Its a good idea to keep your pink slip from your old car too.

The lady that taught the course has been in the industry for 27 years, and knows all of the rules. She even said that most cops are like "what?, no way"

hope that helped

haha I was right in the first response then... yea, as long as you call your insurance saying you'll be driving a newly bought vehicle with your old plates (give them new vehicle VIN), and the active insurance from the old car will cover the new vehicle (until you get it home/ destination), THEN you call your insurance for insuring the new vehicle + and then new plate at the registry afterwards (if you're keeping the old one too)

At least that's what I thought at first, good thing someone confirmed.

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
You dont even need to call them. What if you buy a car on saturday when they are all closed. you have 14 days to alert them that you are driving a new car and to switch your insurance.

ie. if you buy your car saturday, as long as you had active insurance on your old car, you are insured, just make sure you have a bill of sale so that you dont get busted for the plate. Then you call them monday and tell them to switch to the new VIN.

G-ZUS
12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
So, if you get pulled over by a cop who was checking your plates, how do you tell him to f*** off politely when he writes you the $2800 ticket?

ZC_CIVIC
12-16-2007, 03:15 PM
well they dont write you a ticket, they write you a summons, ive had one before, i got a pink copy and had to show up to a visit with the crown and if you have proof of insurance then they will viod the ticket, if not they will slash you with a fine or another court date, not sure about what happens after since i did have proof of insurance just not in my car... but i agree with g-zus what do you tell the police man when they have city wide on the way to tow your car? cuz i dont think they would belive you if you told them its legal how your driving... and if they do tow your car can you go after the city for the towing fee and the impound fee and also the pain in the ass fee, since you have to iether call a friend or call a cab...how would we do it...good thing when it happend to me i was 1 block away from work...so yeah do explain

gen2teggy
12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
my booker told me...i have to tell em to tranfer insuince to the new car. but i have 14 days to get it registered.

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Im not sure how that works, but they should start telling the police how it actually is with insurance. Thats the thing about privatized insurance...they have rules and the authorities dont necissarily know about all of the particular rules. if you have a pink slip from your old car with you, that should be proof enough. They can call your insurance company and make sure you have insurance you know.....you just tell them who you are insured with, and by rights they should ask you. Ive had them call MY insurance before to make sure i had it cuz i misplaced my pink card. Then its up to you broker to tell them how the rule actually works. Its unfortunate that such a misconception hasnt been widely taught against....they really should get the word out there about that one. But the way i see it, if you are buying a car during the week, there should be no reason you cant alert your insurance company and get a slip. I would primarily put the 14 day rule to use involving insurance on a weekend if i had to get a car and i couldnt call my insurance. I can get the teacher's name. Like i say, 27 years in the insurance industry, been a broker, underwriter, pretty much every position. She knows...

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by gen2teggy
my booker told me...i have to tell em to tranfer insuince to the new car. but i have 14 days to get it registered.

Yep, your broker may have been a newer broker, my wife didnt find this out until she went for her level two in insurance and took a side course...i think its called CIP course....and thats the one that the teacher said its 14 days for both, and not alot of people know that is the truth.

civicluva
12-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Im not sure how that works, but they should start telling the police how it actually is with insurance.

Yea no shit. Cops think they know everything, the last time I had an issue the cop told me my car's insurance wouldn't cover me past midnight. WTF, how would he know? Its because he doesn't.

RaDuS
12-16-2007, 08:06 PM
yesir first then you said is right.

honda/teg
12-16-2007, 08:13 PM
all this is tottaly BS go down to your registration and they will tell u there is no fukin 14 day rule for registration, u can only get a temporary registration which is called a 'TRANSFER' its a sticker u put where ur plate should be but u can only do this if u have insurance

honda/teg
12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by civicluva

Yea no shit. Cops think they know everything, the last time I had an issue the cop told me my car's insurance wouldn't cover me past midnight. WTF, how would he know? Its because he doesn't.

R u a GDL driver still if so then cops know their shite because if u are gdl u are not alowed to drive from 12am-5am and ur insurance does not cover it if u drive during those times if u are still under GDL

Kloubek
12-16-2007, 08:18 PM
The ticket is actually $230. I got one 2 days ago.

(talk about splitting hairs....)

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by honda/teg
all this is tottaly BS go down to your registration and they will tell u there is no fukin 14 day rule for registration, u can only get a temporary registration which is called a 'TRANSFER' its a sticker u put where ur plate should be but u can only do this if u have insurance

Actually, it is a rule, better get your shit straight. If you have a bill of sale in your car and it hasnt been 14 days since the day documented on the bill of sale, you are good. The FACT is, 14 days for both. Look into it if you dont believe me. Also, registry offices are privately owned, so maybe they didnt know what they were talking about...

ZC_CIVIC
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM

R u a GDL driver still if so then cops know their shite because if u are gdl u are not alowed to drive from 12am-5am and ur insurance does not cover it if u drive during those times if u are still under GDL

ok mr know everything im about to show you that you dont know everything....

thats bogus unless your a GDL class 7 driver, if your under GDL class 5 then that rule dont apply to you...if you still feel your correct read the rules...

What are the rules and conditions of GDL?

Class 7 Learners GDL

Be 14 years of age or older,
Pass a vision screening,
Pass a knowledge test on the rules of the road, and
Have parental consent if you are 17 years of age or younger
Conditions for Drivers in the Learner Stage

Must hold a Learner's Licence (Class 7) for at least one year to be eligible to move to the next stage
Must be accompanied by a fully licensed (non-probationary) driver who is 18 years of age or older and is seated next to the driver
Not permitted to drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
May not have more passengers than the number of seat belts in the vehicle
Will have your operator’s licence suspended at 8 demerits
Zero alcohol tolerance

To become a Probationary driver you must:

be 16 years of age or older, and
pass the basic Alberta road test.
Conditions for Drivers in the Probationary Stage

Must spend a minimum of two years as a probationary driver to be eligible to move to the next stage
May not have more passengers than the number of seat belts in the vehicle
Will have your operator’s licence suspended at 8 demerits
Zero alcohol tolerance
May not re-class to a commercial operator’s licence
May not serve as an accompanying driver to a learner
To become a fully licensed driver (Class 5) you must:

not have had your operator’s licence suspended or cancelled for the last 12 months of the two year probationary stage, and
pass an advanced road test.

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 09:21 PM

hope that helped

Well I am glad your wife took a course from someone that is in the industry. That is what I like to call third party information. I however am personally in the industry and can tell you that one of two things happened to your wife:
1. she was misinformed
2. she misunderstood

Insurance has no grace period. At all. Zero. PERIOD. if anyone decides to drive a vehicle without being properly insured you are breaking the law and can be charged. No matter who heard what or which registry agent said what. It is not legal. Insurance companies will not cover damage to any vehicle that has not been covered by them or the liability for any vehicles or persons you cause a loss to. If you drive a car thinking there is a 14 day grace on insurance and you kill someone you will be sued, no insurance company will cover you and you will most likely be paying for the rest of your life.

I am open to a challenge from anyone to find any sort of grace period for a different vehicle in insurance policy. When a company give you insurance there is a policy, which in all reality is a contract between the insured and the insurer which states a certain vehicle or vehicles for certain coverages for a set period of time. Within your policy it tell exactly what they will or won't cover. No where is any insurance policy does it state that the contact will cover any other vehicle under any circumstance.

I urge anyone taking this thread to heart to take what I say as true until they read their own policy to see if I am right or not. I assure you all I am correct.

PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE UNDER THE ASSUMPTION YOU ARE INSURED WHEN YOU'RE NOT.

On another note honda/teg, yes there is a 14 day rule on registrations provide you bought one and sold one. So in the case of just buying a car you're not allowed to take 14 days to register. but if you sell the car the plate is registered to then it is alright. I believe I mentioned this all above.

Speed_69
12-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Actually, it is a rule, better get your shit straight. If you have a bill of sale in your car and it hasnt been 14 days since the day documented on the bill of sale, you are good. The FACT is, 14 days for both. Look into it if you dont believe me. Also, registry offices are privately owned, so maybe they didnt know what they were talking about...

:werd: I'm an insurance broker and it's true..you have fourteen days to transfer your insurance without even having to notify your insurance company. You only have as the same amount of coverage as the lowest vehicle on your policy though. Say example, one of your vehicles only has Third party liability and you have another one with Third party liability, Collsion and Comprehensive. Your newly acquired vehicle will only have Third party liability coverage for those 14 days unless they are advised to add it onto your policy before the grace period is over. I was also not aware of this rule until I took an errors and omissions course couple months ago and I've been in the industry for over a year now. You'd be surprised how many brokers/agents don't know about this rule. Majority of them will tell you that you have to add it right away or there is no coverage.

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

:werd: I'm an insurance broker and it's true..you have fourteen days to transfer your insurance without even having to notify your insurance company. You only have as the same amount of coverage as the lowest vehicle on your policy though. Say example, one of your vehicles only has Third party liability and you have another one with Third party liability, Collsion and Comprehensive. Your newly acquired vehicle will only have Third party liability coverage for those 14 days unless they are advised to add it onto your policy before the grace period is over. I was also not aware of this rule until I took an errors and omissions course couple months ago and I've been in the industry for over a year now. You'd be surprised how many brokers/agents don't know about this rule. Majority of them will tell you that you have to add it right away or there is no coverage.

Lets see some documentation on that please.

skorpiius
12-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Here's some info...

from: http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/default.aspx?id=4655

What if I didn’t know the vehicle was uninsured?

Every vehicle in Alberta is required to have third party liability insurance, and driving while uninsured is a serious offence....

<SNIP>

It is your obligation to advise your insurance company when you acquire a replacement vehicle if you intend to have it on the road and therefore need it covered under your policy. Under some circumstances you have a 14-day grace period from the date that you purchase the vehicle to request that the replacement vehicle be covered under your existing policy. However, there are many exceptions and limitations to this grace period, so you should never assume that you have coverage on a newly purchased vehicle. The best advice is to contact your insurance company before you drive the vehicle to be sure that you are sufficiently covered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also an old no longer current snippit off an insurance website (only in the google cache now)

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:VuqTKQF60QwJ:www.transwestinsurance.com/fyi.html+alberta+auto+insurance+14+day+grace+period&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Q. Can I move my license plate from one vehicle to another and consider it insured?

A. It depends on the circumstances. If you no longer own the vehicle that you take the plate from (eg. traded on the new one), and the one you move it to is a newly acquired vehicle, then yes, like coverage applies. If you own both vehicles at the same time and simply move the plate from one to the other, and don't notify your insurer, then no.

Q. If I buy a vehicle, it is automatically insured?

A. Again, it depends on the circumstances. As above or if every vehicle you own is insured by the same insurer, then a newly acquired vehicle is automatically insured for liability coverage accident benefits, and physical damage coverage subject to certain conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really the simplest answer seems to be ASK YOUR INSURER since a lot of this seems less to do with law and more to do with the idea that you will have insurance if your insurer says you do, and under what situations they will say they're covering you is up to them and their policies.

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Well I am glad your wife took a course from someone that is in the industry. That is what I like to call third party information. I however am personally in the industry and can tell you that one of two things happened to your wife:
1. she was misinformed
2. she misunderstood

Insurance has no grace period. At all. Zero. PERIOD. if anyone decides to drive a vehicle without being properly insured you are breaking the law and can be charged. No matter who heard what or which registry agent said what. It is not legal. Insurance companies will not cover damage to any vehicle that has not been covered by them or the liability for any vehicles or persons you cause a loss to. If you drive a car thinking there is a 14 day grace on insurance and you kill someone you will be sued, no insurance company will cover you and you will most likely be paying for the rest of your life.

I am open to a challenge from anyone to find any sort of grace period for a different vehicle in insurance policy. When a company give you insurance there is a policy, which in all reality is a contract between the insured and the insurer which states a certain vehicle or vehicles for certain coverages for a set period of time. Within your policy it tell exactly what they will or won't cover. No where is any insurance policy does it state that the contact will cover any other vehicle under any circumstance.

I urge anyone taking this thread to heart to take what I say as true until they read their own policy to see if I am right or not. I assure you all I am correct.

On another note honda/teg, yes there is a 14 day rule on registrations provide you bought one and sold one. So in the case of just buying a car you're not allowed to take 14 days to register. but if you sell the car the plate is registered to then it is alright. I believe I mentioned this all above.

could you be so kind as to prove this, mr "i am in the industry"? It seems that not only a government website says that my wife is properly informed, also an insurance website, as well as an insurer as skorpiius said......

update: we just found it in teh book, c14-2005-Automobile insurance part 1, under General Provisions, Definitions and exclusions, under b) a newly aquired automobile. I can scan it if you like, but it looks to me like you have some brushing up to do pal (=

honda/teg
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM
go to your local registration and find out for ur self trust me if u drive a car with an other plate from your other car u are fuked and u will get u car towed , it hapened to my friend just this weekend cauz he lisened to idiots like u

honda/teg
12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
and also i thought we were talkin on here about driving a car for 14 days after purchase with your old plate ,which once again is bs

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
go to your local registration and find out for ur self trust me if u drive a car with an other plate from your other car u are fuked and u will get u car towed , it hapened to my friend just this weekend cauz he lisened to idiots like u and also if u are a class 5 gdl u are not alowed to drive from 12am-5 am go to registration and they will give u a book so u can study this shite, and also i just finished my defensive driving course and this is where i learned all this i am gonna try and photo copy my booklet they gave where it clearly states u cant drive from 12am-5am if u are a class 5 gdl

DOOD, if you have a bill of sale, you are good to go, if he got a ticket, he should have fought it, because the cop was WRONG!

I have been pulled over after buying a new car with my old plate on it. He asked for the bill of sale and insurance (he didnt know better about the insurance rule, which i just proved and will scan tomoro) Better talk to other registry offices, because you are WRONG! you have 14 days to transfer registration, and 14 days to alert your insurance company, FACT!!!!!!!!!

ZC_CIVIC
12-16-2007, 10:41 PM
go to your local registration and find out for ur self trust me if u drive a car with an other plate from your other car u are fuked and u will get u car towed , it hapened to my friend just this weekend cauz he lisened to idiots like u and also if u are a class 5 gdl u are not alowed to drive from 12am-5 am go to registration and they will give u a book so u can study this shite, and also i just finished my defensive driving course and this is where i learned all this i am gonna try and photo copy my booklet they gave where it clearly states u cant drive from 12am-5am if u are a class 5 gdl

dood your a tool, i just posted the friggin GDL rules...only a class 7 driver under GDL rules cannot drive from 12-5am...so for one your not even agreeing with the registration rules 14 days, thats a friggin given since ive dont it b4...so get some fucking facts before you fight shit you dont know a fucking thing about you idiot

honda/teg
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
he went to registration after the ticket and they said u cant drive it, to drive a new car home if u do not wish to register it u must get a transfer form where u show them u have insurance and they give u a temporary piece of paper with numbers on it and u put it on ur rear window , if iam wrong the wtf do registries offer transfer forms 'temporary plate "

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I believe you are referring to a "in transit sticker"

If you have the OLD plate from your previous car, on your new car, and a bill of sale for the new car, you have 14 days. The registry he was at are idiots, or he didnt have ANY plate, which you arent allowed to do. If you HAVE YOUR OLD PLATE and BILL OF SALE for the new car, you have 14 days

ZC_CIVIC
12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I believe you are referring to a &quot;in transit sticker&quot;

If you have the OLD plate from your previous car, on your new car, and a bill of sale for the new car, you have 14 days. The registry he was at are idiots, or he didnt have ANY plate, which you arent allowed to do. If you HAVE YOUR OLD PLATE and BILL OF SALE for the new car, you have 14 days

but that pce of paper means your driving it from one point to another point not temporary registration...

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
^yes that is true.

And just for you, Tom_9109, heres your proof, i found it online

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

pdf page 14, under, 5. Automobile Defined, b) Newly Aquired Automobile

thanks for playing, time to brush up bud

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM

could you be so kind as to prove this, mr &quot;i am in the industry&quot;? It seems that not only a government website says that my wife is properly informed, also an insurance website, as well as an insurer as skorpiius said......

update: we just found it in teh book, c14-2005-Automobile insurance part 1, under General Provisions, Definitions and exclusions, under b) a newly aquired automobile. I can scan it if you like, but it looks to me like you have some brushing up to do pal (=

Howabout you read skorpiius last two lines. They tend to go along with what I am saying that the policy is what dictates what is covered. He says:

"Really the simplest answer seems to be ASK YOUR INSURER since a lot of this seems less to do with law and more to do with the idea that you will have insurance if your insurer says you do, and under what situations they will say they're covering you is up to them and their policies."

On a side note the Q&A he quoted had the following at the bottom:
"These answers are coverage dependant. Please contact your own insurance professional for more details."

I understand that you are frustrated with the fact that your book says its the way it is but please understand that when a collision occurs and an insurance company is being put in a situation where they may have to pay out alot of money they look to the policy and if there is no coverage they don't pay out money. The insurer is not bound to follow what is written in the textbook that you looked it up in. They are however bound to follow the insurance policy (IE: contract) that you entered into with them. I don't need to brush up on anything, I know should the day come and someone crash a car not listed on the policy and there is no provision written specifically into it, coverage will be denied. I understand that your wife is obviously trained and knows her aspect of insurance, which i understand is being a broker?? I might be being a little over-zealous with saying that there is no grace period at all. I am sure in some situation there will be. But you have to understand unless its not right in the policy its not going to be covered. I have read over my policies and have found nothing for any sort of grace period. My policy is the document I would have to take to court if it entitled me to a coverage and the insurer tried to deny. In a perfect world and in the textbooks theres is a coverage, however in real life where contracts and lawyers exist there will most likely be none. There may be policies out there that have that written into them, I would really like to see one.

On a final note, the original poster is most likely asking because he wants to do what is right and avoid charges, fines or even worse getting into an accident without coverage. I can't stress enough not to drive a vehicle without KNOWING you are completely covered. The only way for anyone to do that is to assume that you aren't unless you can find a provision in your policy which states you are.

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Thats not a text book, thats the alberta insurance act...you cant change the act. I dont give a shit what you say is in the "contract" they have to work by the rules dictated by the provincial superintendant, and that has to go to court to be changed, and it hasnt been. That wasnt a manual, that is SPF 1, Standard Policy Form, the standard form of insurance that everybody follows. Of course the insurance company could MAYBE use it as a loophole for the primary purpose to fuck you over. The only thing that shows on your policy is the statutory conditions, the rest doesnt have to be in there. Whatever man, you obviously think you know what youre talking about, i dont realy care what YOU think, i just proved it. :whipped:

:closed:

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
accidently posted twice. ignore this one.

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Actually you haven't proved anything. You've interpreted the information available to you in the way you want to to get the outcome you desire. In fact you haven't proven anything other than you like to badmouth me for not knowing things and then you post a generic policy as the insurance act. I mean come on, stop the crap.

This is the alberta insurance act, not the thing you posted and claim is.
http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/i-3/20071123/whole.html

For starters the policy you are reading is a generic policy and not what every insurer will use. here is the part you want me to look at
"– 12 –
A Newly Acquired Automobile – an automobile, ownership of which is
acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of
its delivery to him, notified to the Insurer in respect of which the
insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile
described in the application or the Insurer insures (in respect of the
section or subsection of the Insuring Agreements under which claim is
made) all automobiles owned by the lnsured at such delivery date and
in respect of which the Insured pays any additional premium required;
provided however, that insurance hereunder shall not apply if the
Insured is engaged in the business of selling automobiles; "

What you are reading is definition within that particular contract. that is not something all insurance in alberta must follow. That is simply one version of a policy.

In there i see a part about 'notified to the insurer' and also a part saying 'insured pays any additional premium required'. Take a good read at that and you tell me if it has anything to do with simply bolting a plate onto a vehicle and driving it on different insurance or if it is more their definition so that someone can add a vehicle to their existing policy without signing anything, You're smart people, think about it.

PS: be sure to read all the enabling regulations, statues and acts.

sr20s14zenki
12-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Whatever man, you seem to know it all. I guess a person being in the industry for 27 years, ie, a very well known teacher, doesnt know what shes talking about hey?. The teacher's name is Helen Wood. Also, my wife's brokerage has been in business for 30 years, her boss has been running it since he was 20 years old. he is also a teacher at the Alberta Insurance Institute, and he also says the same thing about the 14 day rule. I sppose hes wrong too hey? So....how long have you been in the business, and if you dont mind me asking, what part of the insurance business are you in? Reception maybe?

Speed_69
12-16-2007, 11:40 PM
are you in denial tom_9109? I think you need to take a course about this to learn things..just like how i did and how sr20s14zenki's wife did.

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Well since its a vote on the subject I guess your wife, her teacher, boss and yourself must be right because more of you say it. Well please actually prove it. all you have done is shown me a generic policy and popular opinion. Not one person you mention that thinks this is on the claims side of it, they sell policies, they don't deal with the damaged vehicles or the policies that cover them after the person buys their insurance. I do put value into what they think as I am sure when it comes to their aspect of the business they are very knowledgeable. I would love to be wrong on this, please show me a statute, regulation or act that says that it applies to everyone and i will gladly admit I am wrong. I am in damage appraisal which no isn't adjusting or underwriting however puts me in contact with a lot of adjusters from a lot of companies on a regular basis. I have based every part of what I have put in here on fact and experience. So far no one can provide any documentation that states there is such a coverage with every company and every policy. Until such time as we see that it would be fool-hearted to drive with a plate off a different car. I assure you it is up to the individual company and completely dictated by your particular policy.

ZC_CIVIC
12-16-2007, 11:46 PM
i think mr tom tom has been TOLD....now leave b4 you become ashamed of yourself and cry.....

from what i have read today i would take a chance at the 14 day rule if i had to...b4 i wouldent but now i feel comfortable doing it...

****EDIT**** what company you work for tom...ima make shure i dont go there you make your company look bad....not knowing the rules...shitty company...

tom_9109
12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ZC_CIVIC
i think mr tom tom has been TOLD....now leave b4 you become ashamed of yourself and cry.....

from what i have read today i would take a chance at the 14 day rule if i had to...b4 i wouldent but now i feel comfortable doing it...

****EDIT**** what company you work for tom...ima make shure i dont go there you make your company look bad....not knowing the rules...shitty company...

Well I own the company so I don't think my boss will mind too terribly much. People can believe what they want. unfortunately I can't provide a piece of documentation to back up my side. Thats kind of the point I am saying there is no rule so how can there be documentation it does not exist. All I have asked for is for someone to provide the documentation to back it up. Not that they heard it or think it or their wife thinks it, an actual document. Everyone seems to think because a broker and a guy whos wife is a broker says its there that it is. I mean really all I need to see is a statute or act that blankets all policies in alberta and I will write an apology to each of these people. I have conceded all along that some policies do cover such a situation, the argument is that not all do. It should be very easy to prove me wrong with a document if there is such a rule that covers every albertan policy.

And on a personal note ZC why do you think you can talk to me like that?

sr20s14zenki
12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Tom_9109 is partially right about one thing, for the piece of mind, ask your company.....we can call this one closed (=

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes we can call it closed. But i still leave the challenge open to anyone who can. Prove to me that there is this rule. That is what someone who thinks there is a rule will have to do in front of a judge should he be in a collision and denied coverage.

ZC_CIVIC
12-17-2007, 12:27 AM
ima call my insurance tommorrow and see if this i true tho them... and sorry for the ranting on you tom it just seems sr20 had more back ups then you

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 12:30 AM
I just don't base my credibility on others who should know the answer. Kinda remind me of the "oh i should no because my brother's wife is a XXXXXX"
I know a lot of people throughout the industry including family. But it opinion doesn't prove anything so there is no point adding what they think about it. I've taken courses but when it comes to insurance or the law, its best to read exactly what material is relevant.

I would love to be proved wrong, would have save me alot of hassle over the years buying and selling so many cars.

every rule has to be written somewhere, doesn't it?

FiveFreshFish
12-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Just do it ASAP. Why temp fate?

Sharpie
12-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Just do it ASAP. Why temp fate?

:werd: I dont get why everyone is getting all hyped up over something that is so simple? Honestly who cares that his 'wife' was taught by someone with 27 years experience, its all based on personal experience. I personally wouldn't risk it and how hard is it to call your insurance and get them to fax you a temp insurance?

canuckcarguy
12-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Go back to your original post, tom, where you categorically state that "no insurance company will cover you and you will most likely be paying for the rest of your life". Now you agree that some people might be covered by their insurance company.

If you don't really know for sure, you shouldn't be blathering on about possible lifetime consequences.

I know, for a FACT, that my own insurance provider, on my policy, will cover me on a new purchase for 14 days even if I don't contact them. I've done it, I've asked them about it, and it's explicitly stated in my policy. I don't have to have sold my previous vehicle, either.

The smart play here is to call your own insurance agent and confirm your policy terms, or better yet read your policy, before you drive your new vehicle.

1. she was misinformed
2. she misunderstood

sr20s14zenki
12-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie

:werd: I dont get why everyone is getting all hyped up over something that is so simple? Honestly who cares that his 'wife' was taught by someone with 27 years experience, its all based on personal experience. I personally wouldn't risk it and how hard is it to call your insurance and get them to fax you a temp insurance?

i was more thinking about if you were to buy a car on the weekend and it was your only choice kinda thing. Yah, of course during the week there should be no excuse for not calling them and getting them to fax you a slip. And not only was she taught by somebody with 27 years in the insurance business, also her boss, has owned his brokerage for 30 years, and he says the same thing. Do you think he would put his business on the line if he didnt know?And you have another broker on here telling the same thing, and another guy who called his insurance and they said the same thing. Its not just me, its like 4 other people so far. But yes, by all means, call your insurance, you should know all about YOUR policy.

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Go back to your original post, tom, where you categorically state that &quot;no insurance company will cover you and you will most likely be paying for the rest of your life&quot;. Now you agree that some people might be covered by their insurance company.

If you don't really know for sure, you shouldn't be blathering on about possible lifetime consequences.

I know, for a FACT, that my own insurance provider, on my policy, will cover me on a new purchase for 14 days even if I don't contact them. I've done it, I've asked them about it, and it's explicitly stated in my policy. I don't have to have sold my previous vehicle, either.

The smart play here is to call your own insurance agent and confirm your policy terms, or better yet read your policy, before you drive your new vehicle.

I've clarified what I was meaning since that first post. The debate here is if there is a rule that covers everyone. My main point is simply that there is no blanketed rule that covers every policy, I was hasty saying no company will cover it. I should have said no company will cover it unless its written specifically in the policy. I have conceded that there are some policies that may cover such a situation. But if say 50% of policies have such a coverage and 50% don't, I guess that means there is no rule now doesn't it.

And once again, since its explicitly stated in your policy, would you mind posting the section of the policy? I would really like to see how they worded such coverage.

As for all the back up from people that seems to sway general opinion, Today is Monday and I'll be seeing a few adjusters today and be sure to talk it over with them.

Supa Dexta
12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Directly from bandit:

"Plates - You can take the plate off your car and stick it on the new car for the purpose of transporting it home. Make sure you keep with you the insurance and registration for the existing vehicle as well as the bill of sale for the new car. The only thing to be aware of is that PLPD is the only coverage that extends to the new vehicle."

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
I have done some further looking into this and as others have stated before there is a coverage and yes it is in every policy.

It is the Newly Aquired Automobile Section as they had mentioned early. So yes I am wrong however to anyone planning to do this, from how I have had it explained to me by a claims manager is that the original vehicle must be sold or traded in order to use its insurance, you can't still own the vehicle.

So I looked into it myself. I am for the most part wrong. Sorry for that :)

canuckcarguy
12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Takes a good guy to admit fault.

Consensus is, I think, contact your insurance company if you're in the market for a vehicle so you know the score before you get into a jam...

Speed_69
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM

:werd: In the insurance industry..you learn something new every day.

kvanderlaag
12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Dear Hondateg or whatever,

Your friend is dumb. I am going to agree that either he had no plate, which is illegal, or he let the cops hassle him because he didn't know his rights and the legislation in question.

With a plate from another vehicle, you have 14 days to get your registration changed. Insurance, apparently, is the same under specific circumstances, but I don't know enough about it to comment on that. I have done this numerous times. Bill of sale, pink slip for that vehicle, and your name attached to the plate in question is enough for two weeks.

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Consensus is, I think, contact your insurance company if you're in the market for a vehicle so you know the score before you get into a jam...

Zero102
12-17-2007, 05:36 PM
A couple of years ago this argument came up, I quoted a section from the traffic safety act that actually explicitly referred to the 14-day transfer period for registration. Shortly after this the act was re-written and I can no longer find that section in the act. Could somebody who is claiming the 14-day exemption please provide the relevant section of the traffic safety act?

My opinion on this matter is that although it is legal to switch your plates and drive for 14 days you should do everything you can to cover your ass. The last time I used this exemption I had flown over 3000 miles to pick up the car I wanted and here is what I did:

1) Printed out relevant section of the TSA, marked out the section that details the 14 day exemption
2) Printed out the alberta standard automobile insurance policy, again, marked the relevant section and even included a copy of it with my insurance company's name on it
3) Carried a bill of sale for the vehicle with me
4) Called my insurance company on the first business day following the sale (which was on a sunday so it took until monday) to notify them of the change and had pink slips faxed to the hotel I was staying at to prevent any future troubles.

The best way to prevent any troubles if you encounter police officers that are not familiar with this particular law (especially buying cars out of province and such) is to provide as much documentation as possible. For this reason, could somebody please provide the relevant section of the updated TSA?

sr20s14zenki
12-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I have done some further looking into this and as others have stated before there is a coverage and yes it is in every policy.

It is the Newly Aquired Automobile Section as they had mentioned early. So yes I am wrong however to anyone planning to do this, from how I have had it explained to me by a claims manager is that the original vehicle must be sold or traded in order to use its insurance, you can't still own the vehicle.

So I looked into it myself. I am for the most part wrong. Sorry for that :)

Thanks man (=, like he said, takes a man to admit they are wrong. The wife talked to her boss today, and he said that SPF-1 is set in stone, its the government that makes those rules for the insurance companys to follow, and they must follow them.

Anyhoo, what a confusing business insurance is eh? I may take it up in the future for fun lol.

Oh, and also, most insurance companys dont show that in your policy that they mail you, they say the bulk of your policy is available at your request. All they do when they mail you your policy is describe things that YOU may need to know, definitions and such. You have to request them to send you the rest of it.

tom_9109
12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
One thing I still think that need to be kept in mind is if you get pulled over by a cop that isn't aware and you're unable to explain it properly, chances are your car will get towed and you'll get charged still. Everything would work out in court but thats a lot of hassle no one wants.

hampstor
12-18-2007, 12:41 AM
So let me get this straight:

1) When purchasing a vehicle, you have 14 days to transfer registration and insurance from an existing vehicle/policy over to the new one.
2) You should notify your insurance company in advance and get a temporary pink slip with the intention of buying the vehicle - this is to avoid any possible delays by any cop that pulls you over

Did I miss anything or get anything wrong??

blueripper6
12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Wow.. good thread lol.

So from this thread I have learned to help out hampstor ^

1) Correct
2)You could if you want to be safe, but your not breaking the law. Who wants the hassle though?

I got pulled over an hour after I bought my 240, I had civic plates on it, it was pretty wierd what happened. They pointed guns at me and pushed me around, threw my cellphone and took my .4 chunk (they laughed at how small it was lol)

From my understanding I was driving illegaly with no insurance, I knew it was 14 days for registration, but I thought i was driving without insurance... I got pulled over up my street and I just told them I was on my way home. I pleaded with them saying I phoned my insurance and registration and asked them and they both told me that I had 14 days. They asked to search my car and I let them.. I was totally compliant because I was scared they were gonna fuck me:rofl: In the end they let me off with a "warning" which I guess was fit because I recently learned I didnt do anything wrong :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I really should follow my own advice. I bought a car in August, drove with a plate from my other car for 20 weeks and finally got a new plate yesterday. :D

BTW, it was insured the day I picked it up.

rc2002
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
^ I did that with one of my cars too. Insured it the day I bought it and then registered it 7 months later - it was a project car for most of the 7 months.

Everytime I've bought a car, I've put insurance on it before buying it. It just makes sense to.

If it's a car that I'm thinking about buying on the weekend, I'll let my insurance company know that on Friday and then confirm on Monday whether I bought it or not.

My insurance agent told me last time that if it's the weekend, or if they're closed, the car is still covered if I leave them a voicemail and request insurance BEFORE I buy the car.

Cos
02-25-2016, 10:53 AM

spikerS
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Cos
This rule been changed in the last 9 years? I have Bill drafting me up insurance so I am covered there, still have an active plate from a bike I sold to JRSC00LUDE so I should be covered I believe?

Yes, you are fine. You can no longer own the previous vehicle, and you must have valid insurance for the new vehicle, and last but not least, the plate must have be active (not expired). You then have 14 days from the bill of sale for the new bike to transfer the plate from the old bike.

Cos
02-25-2016, 01:38 PM