PDA

View Full Version : Old VW Diesel?

Bubba-G-
07-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Hello,
Hopefully this week I will getting my new lightning :bigpimp: (if I have time cause of work).
Anyway I need something to drive for dirt cheap to commute to work and back in the cheapest and most reliable fashion.
I have seen that I could get a mid 80's VW Jetta diesel for like under 2g's but I'm kind of unknowledgable with VW's. So how reliable are these little diesels?
I went and test drove one it was a 85 but the guy wanted 2200 and it smelt like antifreeze was leaking somewhere? possiby needing a new head gasket?
What do I have to look out for on these cars?

Bubba

Weapon_R
07-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Not really familiar with them, but these diesel engines are probably one of the best things to come out of the VW factory. If it's in good condition, they will last a very long time, they are fuel efficient (but they have very low output, especially in 1985 when one of their engines barely put out 50hp and was used on the vanagon).

Bubba-G-
07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replie,
I have been searching the internet for more info about these old diesels but have came up with nothing there is very little info on these old cars.
Does anyone else have any knowledge on them?

Bubba

Ben
07-21-2003, 12:14 AM
its a half million mile motor.

you wont find much on the net, but the most common issues are just changing air filters, fuel filters and glow plugs...routine maintenance basically. The bodys rot out LONG before the motor dies. plus, they get great milage.

James
07-21-2003, 05:15 AM
I almost picked one up 2 weeks ago( still in need of car:( )....'85 2-dr Jetta for $1400, good little cars, just too damn loud.... probably just this specific car, but at ldle, the whole thing shook, inside and out :rofl:..rough shape body wise too, but for $1400 it would have been a good deal.