PDA

View Full Version : U of C wait list

ashee
12-18-2007, 01:26 AM
There's a class I wanted to register for in Winter but it's full and doesn't have a wait list like some of the other classes.
Why do some have wait lists and others don't?

gpomp
12-18-2007, 01:32 AM
why dont you ask the registar?

ashee
12-18-2007, 01:33 AM
They seem impossible to get a hold of.
I can't get anyone direct line through the phone and they are quoting me 5 business days through email.

msommers
12-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Probably something to do with high-demand courses. Best bet is to go wait in line at the registrar's office and check it out. I have always gotten the answers I needed and only had to sit roughly 10mins, especially at this time of year no one will be there

ashee
12-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Are they open over the holidays?

muse017
12-18-2007, 01:42 AM
why don't you just wait until the first week of the school? I'm pretty sure there'll be some available spots.

ashee
12-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I hate missing the first day of class because that's when they always let you know what's going on, haha, but I might have to.

muse017
12-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Doesn't really matter. Just go to the class and talk to your prof about your situation then you should be fine.
First week of my japanese class had like 35 students in classroom of 30. Some of them were sitting on the floor.

ashee
12-18-2007, 01:51 AM
That's a pretty small class

toyboy88
12-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Yeah, just go the first day it say's even if your not in the class. I've seen plenty of people flooring it/standing the first week, until the got their classes all sorted out.

And yeah most second language courses are all max 30/class.

schocker
12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
i would just attend and wait until people drop, or contact the prof for that class and say you are trying to get into their class so that they know, not that you are not there for a week then just show up suddenly, that is what i had to do last year for one of my options.

menzel
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
There are many reasons a class will or will not have a waitlist. One could be the size of the classroom, another could be the request of the prof or the department. The waitlist system is a joke anyway because in my experience, one can get overloaded into a class, completely bypassing the waitlist system altogether if you talk to the right person in the department. They should have eliminated class overloading when they brought in the waitlist system because overloading is not fair to people who are on waitlist.

Originally posted by ashee
There's a class I wanted to register for in Winter but it's full and doesn't have a wait list like some of the other classes.
Why do some have wait lists and others don't?