PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever

iceburns288
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Ho. Lee. Shiet. The first Duke Nukem Forever trailer is coming out tomorrow, no joke.
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29639

Here is a preview screenshot:
http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/8915/8915_4768484983d88.jpg

sputnik
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
its still vapourware in my books...

sr20s14zenki
12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Bout time, hope its coming out soon.
Loved the origional DN3D hahha

A790
12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Doesn't mean shit. We all know the actual GAME is never coming out. Anyone remember the Duke Nukem Forever trailer that was released YEARS AGO?

sr20s14zenki
12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
^^ yep, bastards

b_t
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I think its going to come out finally. They were probably just waiting for the Halo series to finish up for now so they could take advantage of that and then roll out their own epic series of awesome shooters.

zachattack54
12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I remember the 1st one for n64. it was dope!!! One of my all time favorites. Thats sweet that a new one is coming out to. I cant wait.

A790
12-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I think its going to come out finally. They were probably just waiting for the Halo series to finish up for now so they could take advantage of that and then roll out their own epic series of awesome shooters.
I hope you're right man. Duke Nukem 3D was one of the defining games in the genre.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I remain... skeptical.

403Gemini
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by A790

I hope you're right man. Duke Nukem 3D was one of the defining games in the genre.

Was it?

Quake was a redefining game, not duke3d... quake was true 3d graphics, not sprites and didnt rely on teleporters to create maps which had different levels of elevation. Duke 3d was alright, but hardly defining - it really offered nothing new/interesting other than allowing 13 year olds to pay digitized strippers money to show their tits w/ nipple tassles lol

analbumcover
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
nipple tassles FTW!

rage2
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Quake was a redefining game, not duke3d... quake was true 3d graphics, not sprites and didnt rely on teleporters to create maps which had different levels of elevation. Duke 3d was alright, but hardly defining - it really offered nothing new/interesting other than allowing 13 year olds to pay digitized strippers money to show their tits w/ nipple tassles lol
Quake redefined the technical aspects of 3d games. Duke, while not truly 3D (tough to do at the time with the hardware to get that kinda smooth frame rates), opened up the genre we now know as 3d shooters.

As for DNF, well, how many times over the last 10 yrs have we seen screenshots and trailers? lol

Until I see a demo, it's still vapourware.

A790
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Was it?

Duke Nukem 3D WAS defining. It CREATED fan-based maps/missions, it allowed anyone and everyone to play multiplayer both through IP and LAN, and it was the first shooter that had style and charisma.

Yes Quake was great (I'm not going to argue that since we agree on it), but saying Duke Nukem 3D didn't completely change the genre is like saying that Total Annihilation or StarCraft didn't do it for RTS.

Given the hardware that was out there at that time, Duke Nukem 3D was a technical marvel and is STILL fun to burn through.

Splooge
12-19-2007, 10:42 AM
fuk it. it's all about Wolfenstein haha

403Gemini
12-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Quake redefined the technical aspects of 3d games. Duke, while not truly 3D (tough to do at the time with the hardware to get that kinda smooth frame rates), opened up the genre we now know as 3d shooters.

As for DNF, well, how many times over the last 10 yrs have we seen screenshots and trailers? lol

Until I see a demo, it's still vapourware.

Opened up the genre to 3d shooters? pretty sure wolvenstein and doom laid those tracks for duke 3d to ride on ;)

while i won't deny duke 3d was a great game , it wasn't the first game to have user based mods (doom/doom2 you could get a mouselook + jump feature) - hell i used to play through duke 3d with a couple buddies every couple weeks back in jr high, it just wasn't a phenomenal game that really introduced anything new... but i will agree, it did have charisma and had its own sense of charm (shrinking gun, yes please lol)

Great game, but not ground breaking.

Then again, im one of the few that argue quake > duke3d (again, i loved both games - played them both equally over the internet with buddies - just quake changed the way games are made and gets my full respect on that). Anything 3d realms put out after duke3d just felt like they were trying to ride duke 3d's coat tails (like that samurai one, forget the name lol)

Edit; i'll add, duke 3d was the first game that i saw that had the pistol clip reload, and i fucking loved it - wish i had unlimited pistol rounds.

cityhunter2501
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
seems its out
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50464
but site is getting hammered really bad right now

b_t
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM

snip

I disagree 100% man. I thought it then, I still think it now, Duke was the far better game. Like most id software games, Quake was more a tech demo than anything else and the only thing I really have to thank Quake 1 for is laying the foundation Valve would later build Half Life on. Duke was a game that sacrificed major innovation in graphics for a major focus on gameplay, and I think it paid off way more in the long run... look at the following it still has! And then look at how excited people get about Quake sequels in comparison.

sputnik
12-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Lame trailer/teaser.

Nothing that a 3D animator couldn't have put together in a couple of weeks.

No in game action just lame animations of Duke and some random monsters.

Duke Nukem Vapourware 2007

Mibz
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I was just going to post laughter. It's my reaction to two phrases:
1. Duke Nukem Forever
2. Daikatana

But then I watched the trailer and thought for a moment....

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
*tear*

A790
12-19-2007, 01:59 PM
3D Realms owes the gaming community DNF, and I don't mean in the same way that Daikatana showed up.

brucebanner
12-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Wolfenstein rules!
:guns:

403Gemini
12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I disagree 100% man. I thought it then, I still think it now, Duke was the far better game. Like most id software games, Quake was more a tech demo than anything else and the only thing I really have to thank Quake 1 for is laying the foundation Valve would later build Half Life on. Duke was a game that sacrificed major innovation in graphics for a major focus on gameplay, and I think it paid off way more in the long run... look at the following it still has! And then look at how excited people get about Quake sequels in comparison.

teasing a community for 10 years certainly is a smart move to build a fan base, wouldn't it have been funny if ID teased us for 10 years with quake 2? Reason why people dont get as "excited" is because there has already been a number of quake games out since quake 1... albeit everything after quake 2 is garbage from ID... well other than doom 3...

I prefered quakes playstyle even though it wasnt anything to fantastic. Like you said it was basically the starting grounds for different companies like valve/sierra to take off with half life, if it wasnt for quake, how long would the sprite-based games been hanging around for? at least another year or two. Also i prefered the dark atmosphere quake pitted you against in quake 1. it felt very raw and evil, duke 3d felt like a 80's comedy mixed with 90's sci-fi movie (bad comedy mixed with over the top looking aliens). Im not saying thats a bad thing, it certainly brought its own charm to the table im just saying as a gaming stand point, quake impacted the world a lot more than duke 3d (least technilogically). I still stand firm that quake was the better online game with things like team fortress/mega team fortress which are STILL being played widley around the world.

b_t
12-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Sprite based games hanging around for another couple years would be no big deal for me. I wish people still made lots of sprite based games, especially side scrollers. And Duke was early 90s comedy mixed with early 90s sci fi movies, because remember, Duke came out in the early 90s :D

I'm not talking about the technological impact the game made because frankly, look at the technological impact made by every id game, and then look at how dated every id game looks just a few years later, and then look at how much more fun the games that were not showcasing new technology are.

The whole first person shooter thing has always been done better by someone else after Wolfenstein. Instead of Doom, there was Marathon, instead of Doom 2 - Rise of the Triad, instead of Quake - Duke, instead of Quake 2 - Unreal, instead of Quake 3 - Half Life, instead of Doom 3 - Half Life 2....

Then look at the gameplay aspects. How many games nowadays do you see that still use the gimmick of getting a bunch of colored keys to get to the end? Duke had a main character with a personality, more story (even though it was the absolute bare minimum) and a reloading pistol. A reloading pistol!!

DonJuan
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
"IT'S TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM... AND I'M ALL OUT OF GUM"

LOL! I loved Duke 3d

Can't wait for this one!

403Gemini
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Sprite based games hanging around for another couple years would be no big deal for me. I wish people still made lots of sprite based games, especially side scrollers. And Duke was early 90s comedy mixed with early 90s sci fi movies, because remember, Duke came out in the early 90s :D

*snip*

The whole first person shooter thing has always been done better by someone else after Wolfenstein. Instead of Doom, there was Marathon, instead of Doom 2 - Rise of the Triad, instead of Quake - Duke, instead of Quake 2 - Unreal, instead of Quake 3 - Half Life, instead of Doom 3 - Half Life 2....

Then look at the gameplay aspects. How many games nowadays do you see that still use the gimmick of getting a bunch of colored keys to get to the end? Duke had a main character with a personality, more story (even though it was the absolute bare minimum) and a reloading pistol. A reloading pistol!!

I'll agree, i miss side scrolling games, they are a blast :D

-Marathon didnt play as smoothly as doom, though it did have the dual wielding weapons ;)
-Rise of the triad > doom 2? no wai ;) Doom had more enemies and much better level layout
-Quake > Duke 3d - I personally enjoyed Quakes "world" more than dukes, but i won't disagree duke brought its own style and played it very well
-Quake 2 was much better than Unreal. Visually unreal was a much nicer game but quake 2 had weapon recoil and a stronger online fan base
-Quake 3 and half life cant even compare to each other since quake 3 was strictly an online arena game whereas half life was a very story driven / objectives game
-Doom 3 and halflife 2... they can compare that they were both fantastic fps games released around the same time, but they were targeted for different things. Half life 2 for using its newer engine and interactivity, doom 3 for its use of lightning and spookiness, i cant pick which is better.

IMO the evolution of FPS goes:

1- Wolvenstein (the one that started it all)
2- Doom 1+2 (wolvenstein with more weapons, demons, and gore!)
3- Quake (being the first true 3d shooter)
4- Half life (breaking away from the "get the keys, find the end" and introduced essentially 1 long level with lots of objectives to contine)

I'd say nothing really interesting has came out since the first half life. yeah sure the engines have updated, theres new toys like the grav gun and portals - but thats nothing too spectacular. Prey just seemed to be like "lawl we can play with physics too!!!"

Between wolvenstein and now the games that didnt make the list there have been a lot of games which deserve a good noteable nod. (Unreal, Marathon, Duke3d)

Guess i look at things as revolutionizing to really leave an impression on me. Again, never saying duke 3d is a bad game at all, its a very good game and i have a lot of fond memories with it :)

And yes, reloading pistol F T W!!!!

SpoonEK9@STRD
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
IDs engines kill it. Quake Physics destroyed. Quake 1 still one of the best online fps ever made. Halo online reminds me of quake, fuck i love halo 3.

Anyone remember lo wang? yeah just as crap as this trailer.

rage2
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Opened up the genre to 3d shooters? pretty sure wolvenstein and doom laid those tracks for duke 3d to ride on ;)
I knew groups of ppl that played wolf and doom. Duke3D, EVERYONE played it, so yes, it was that game that brought 3d shooters to the masses.

I'd say the nipple tassels definately had a part in making it so popular! :rofl:

BTW - does anyone notice Phaneuf looks like old school Duke Nukem? haha

JAYMEZ
12-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Awww man i miss duke nukem and making Custom maps with naked girls everywhere hahah!

BerserkerCatSplat
12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

Anyone remember lo wang? yeah just as crap as this trailer.

The worst part of Shadow Warrior wasn't the game, oh no. It was the novels. They had such classic lines, like "Hey baby, you want to wash Wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash Wang?"

*shudder*

Eibbus
12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Where quake stood out is its soundtrack. To date i think its still one of the most critically acclaimed gaming soundtracks ever. Trent R. Is to thank for that one.

Mibz
12-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The worst part of Shadow Warrior wasn't the game, oh no. It was the novels. They had such classic lines, like "Hey baby, you want to wash Wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash Wang?"

*shudder* I enjoyed the fortune cookies.
"Man who stand on toilet, high on pot"
"Baseball wrong, man with 4 balls cannot walk"

Cadillac08
12-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Shit i thought that was rob van dam in the picture for a second
DUKE NUKEM FTW

Zero102
12-23-2007, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Eibbus
Where quake stood out is its soundtrack. To date i think its still one of the most critically acclaimed gaming soundtracks ever. Trent R. Is to thank for that one.

Indeed, but you can't forget the soundtrack to quake 2 by sonic mayhem, good programming music that is.

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Duke Nukem Maker 3D Realms Shut Down

UPDATE: The status of 3D Realms is still up in the air, but Take-Two issued a statement to G4 which stated that Take-Two's publishing agreement didn't provide funds for the development of Duke Nukem Forever, but that, "Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever."

ORIGINAL STORY: Assuming the rumors are true, it's a sad day for fans of the first-person shooter genre and videogames alike. Both Shacknews and The Escapist are reporting that sources have told them that the mighty game developer 3D Realms (formerly Apogee Software) -- best known as the company behind Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, and Duke Nukem 3D -- has shut down. This news comes just a day after 3D Realms celebrated the 17 year anniversary of Wolfenstein 3D's release.

It's currently unknown what impact this will have on the ongoing development of been-in-development-forever Duke Nukem Forever. Many figured the game would never see the light of day even with 3D Realms open, given that the game was first announced in April 1997 and had only seen minimal exposure to the public over the years, with its most frequent appearances being on annual vaporware lists.

We're waiting to hear an official announcement about the status of the company. It's depressing to think that the company that was responsible for so many games I played during my childhood (going back as far as things like Crystal Caves) might be gone for good. Former 1UP news editor Patrick Klepek pointed out on Twitter that 3D Realms' website still has a listing for a level designer, which leaves me with a shred of hope -- however small it might be -- that this is a stunt to get people talking about Duke Nukem Forever.

In all of this, one thing has been confirmed to us: Duke Nukem Trilogy, a platformer for PSP and DS in development at Apogee Software -- a separate entity that was formed last year -- is still in development.

Mibz
05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
*tear*

b_t
05-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Even though it wasn't going to come out anyway, it still feels like we have lost something.

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Even though it wasn't going to come out anyway, it still feels like we have lost something.

Honestly though, I think it has a better chance of being developed to a full product, now, then it did before!

Sugarphreak
05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Honestly though, I think it has a better chance of being developed to a full product, now, then it did before!

Has been what, 12 years so far? What's another 3 or 4?

b_t
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No kidding. The name is legendary, somebody will snap that up and use it.. but it just wouldn't be quite the same as if 3D Realms had followed through on more than a decade of promises and finished it.
Hopefully whoever picks it up does a good job instead of just cashing in.

black13
05-06-2009, 11:20 PM
The game has already gotten legendary status. Just don't understand how this game with huge potential got stuck in development hell.

A790
05-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by black13
The game has already gotten legendary status. Just don't understand how this game with huge potential got stuck in development hell.
Daikatana anyone?

Mibz
05-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I was just going to post laughter. It's my reaction to two phrases:
1. Duke Nukem Forever
2. Daikatana
Originally posted by A790
Daikatana anyone? BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bball2
05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Duke Nukem Forever gameplay Leaked
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/316675.html?playlist=featured

B69
05-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Game has potential if they were to take out all those cheesy one liners.

b_t
05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Did you never play Duke Nukem 3D? Duke is one liners.

A790
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by B69
Game has potential if they were to take out all those cheesy one liners.
Fake.

natejj
05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
And now they are bankrupt.

http://www.shan.biz/entertainment/duke-nukem-bankrupt-closed

And Take Two is suing them!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/15/taketwo_sues_apogee_over_dnf/

And their response!

http://kotaku.com/5257517/3d-realms-miller-responds-to-take+two-nukem-suit

To sum it up, 3D games wasted 12 years making a game, ran out of money, Take two was paying then 12 million to make the game, they didnt, Take two SAYS they invested over 12 million in it, 3D says they never got a penny, now take two wants their supposed money back. Sigh, this game is never going to get made. Ever.

Some more details, and a better summary.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/3D-Realms-Vs-Take-Two-Getting-Ugly-17572.html