PDA

View Full Version : Good Job CPS! - Two police officers charged with assault

5hift
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=298c11bf-c669-4c78-974f-920eab8a1b9d&k=7769

Two police officers charged with assault

Two downtown Calgary police officers are charged with assaulting a man in a stairwell.

The off-duty officers are accused of assaulting a man inside the Calgary Police Service administration building at 316 - 7 Ave. S.E. on Nov. 6.

The man reported the incident immediately. He had a cut to his forehead and a broken rib.
Both officers have been relieved from duty with pay.

Const. Dino Izzo and Const. Roland Stewart are both charged with one count of assault causing bodily harm.

They will appear in court Jan. 18.

Good job guys, way to keep up the public image while at the same time the RCMP is undergoing scrutiny for being even more corrupt if thats possible.

gen2teggy
12-19-2007, 01:04 PM
HAHA

rinny
12-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Looks a three week holiday with pay for them.

rmk
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
At least these two idiots were caught.

MilanoRedTeg
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I'll never understand why they get pay when they do shit like this.

5hift
12-19-2007, 01:08 PM
the same reason they only ever have internal investigations into matters like these

shawtie
12-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MilanoRedTeg
I'll never understand why they get pay when they do shit like this.

Thats what I dont get...

FreakinPrince
12-19-2007, 01:09 PM
that's what i was just thinking....you get caught and yet you are still rewarded with pay? come on!!!! that's why our tax money is going waste

rmk
12-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
the same reason they only ever have internal investigations into matters like these

I wonder if this will be swept under the rug like when the CPS officers were caught lifting drugs from the drug storage locker downtown?

(* I heard about this on Global news this year, no link to post)

digi355
12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
that's what i was just thinking....you get caught and yet you are still rewarded with pay? come on!!!! that's why our tax money is going waste

Inncocent until proven guilty. Might piss you off but it's everyone's right to have their day in court.

spikerS
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM

innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

All we know for sure is that there was an altercation between them. for all we know, the guy could have assaulted one of the cops first and the other joined in to help. not saying this was the case, and do not mean to defend the cops, all i am saying is that we don't know the full story. Would be pretty harsh on the cops and their families to be suspended without pay at this time of year if they were truly innocent of any wrong doing.

*edit* damn you digi355, beat me to the punch.

AllGoNoShow
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
More of these to come in the future. People never used to report this type of shit for fear of reprocussions, now people are getting fed up with it.

5hift
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I could be wrong, but usually one is not charged with assualt (especially a police officer) unless there is decent evdience of an assult taking place along with a suitable story. If there was no proof the cops would just say it was self defence and it would be their word against someone elses.

Secondly, if the guy was a random who just assulted two undercover police officers, wouldnt the police officers have the ability to lay an arrest right there despite being off duty?

No wonder cops have this superiority complex. You can assult someone, spend the holidays with your family while getting paid, and then return in a few weeks, when a internal investigation covers up any potential lose ends.

So you say innocent until proven guilty, if these jokes are convicted, do you think the CPS will regarnish salaries paid while they were on administrative leave?

rmk
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
More of these to come in the future. People never used to report this type of shit for fear of reprocussions, now people are getting fed up with it.

Ex Police Chief Jack Beaton was a huge fan of keeping things hush hush. He spent most of him time going after and suing former officers who were exposing him and the force for their shady doings.

redline
12-19-2007, 01:29 PM

that is unions at work...

Masked Bandit
12-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I wonder what the WHOLE story is to this......

finboy
12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
if they are found guilty, i think they should have to pay back the money they were paid while suspended

Isaiah
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by finboy
if they are found guilty, i think they should have to pay back the money they were paid while suspended

...and subject themselves to a beating the likes of which they dished out to their victim.

TomcoPDR
12-19-2007, 02:02 PM

So you say innocent until proven guilty, if these jokes are convicted, do you think the CPS will regarnish salaries paid while they were on administrative leave?

Originally posted by finboy

:werd: EXACTLY. I agree with the "innocent until proven..." espeically in the law enforcement field profession, people do wrongly accuse cops of wrong doings. HOWEVER, in solid cases (i.e. surveillance cameras, etc...) proves these CPS started an unprovoked assault, they (the cops) should have to be held in a harsher regards; and fined in excess of what they were paid doing their rewarded vacation.

shawtie
12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
He was known to police before this incident...when I knew him he was in and out of jail all the time.

01RedDX
12-19-2007, 02:07 PM

finboy
12-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

...and subject themselves to a beating the likes of which they dished out to their victim.

if it was an unprovoked assault, or for that matter the police were not phisically attacked, they should face criminal charges.

5hift
12-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Originally posted by shawtie
He was known to police before this incident...when I knew him he was in and out of jail all the time.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

There is always two sides to every story, but what I see in this situation, is one guy with cuts and broken ribs, and two police officers with no injuries mentioned. If there was even any remote evidence the guy started the conflict, wouldnt he be charged for assault and listed in the article as well?

Burying the actions of their officers in the previous criminal history of the victim is a specialty of the police. Remember when that black kid was clearly uneccarily roughed up by the police and it was caught on tape. Because he was involved with drugs, all of a sudden that was a bigger issue than another CPS officer on a power trip. This will be made into how the guy has a previous record etc. IMO, since it happened at the police services building, I think he made a remark to passing cops or something while there for a different issue.

Being known to police doesnt give them the right to beat you down, especially in the police services building of all places. I mean if they do that there, what do you think would go down in a alley or somewhere where there was no one else around.

shawtie
12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
No it doesnt give them the right to beat you down but maybe they think they can get away with it because who would believe the guy who has been in jail for assaults/drugs etc.

topmade
12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
:werd: not enough details. Stories like these always gets blown out of proportion and due to the publicity of it, they probably had to suspend them with pay to investigate.

Not backing anyone up here, but just saying we need more details.

5hift
12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/12/19/4732805.html

"Two city cops face criminal charges after an incident where a homeless man claims he was assaulted by two-off-duty officers.

The constables have been put on seven-day paid leave, Insp. Ken Marchant of the professional standards section said today.

After that point, Chief Rick Hanson will review the officers’ status pending the outcome of court proceedings.

The charges stem from a complaint by a man who said he was assaulted by what he thought were two undercover officers in a stairwell of the service’s administration building on Nov. 6.

The man who, had a cut to his forehead and a broken rib, said it was from being attacked by police officers.

Marchant said the officers, who were not in uniform yet and about to report to duty, found a man sleeping in the stairwell area at the time of the alleged attack.

The complainant reported the incident within minutes of the attack and cops launched an investigation at that point.

Professional standards section investigators then sent it out for an independent review and the Edmonton Crown Prosecutor’s office reviewed the case and recommended charges.

The officers accused of assault causing bodily harm are Const. Dino Izzo, an eight-year veteran, and Const. Roland Stewart, who has two years on the force.

“Any time an officer is charged either on duty of off-duty is a concern,” Marchant said, adding the alleged victim is a 46-year-old man of no fixed address.

Marchant said he could not elaborate on any other details given the case is now before the courts.

If the officers are convicted, an internal police review would be conducted and could lead to a reprimand or even dismissal.

Izzo and Stewart are scheduled to appear in provincial court Jan. 18. "

So jumping a sleeping homeless man for sleeping in your building's service stairwell?

5hift
12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by shawtie

You know some 46 year old homeless man?

mark4091
12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by topmade

:werd: not enough details. Stories like these always gets blown out of proportion and due to the publicity of it, they probably had to suspend them with pay to investigate.

Not backing anyone up here, but just saying we need more details.
agreed.

GTS Jeff
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I can't wait for DayGlow's comments about this.

Basically what I've learnt about cops is that they:

-taser people to death
-hand out speeding tickets to make some cash for themselves
-get killed by farmboys even after their years of elite training
-assault hobos to get paid vacations

To serve and protect...bullshit.

dragonone
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
i can confirm that making cash for self bit
more than one friend have had a choice to cough up cash on the spot of pull-over (for speeding)

A3GTiVR6SC
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

thrasher22
12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah but what they DIDN'T mention in the statement is if the homeless guy did anything to deserve it, or was just sleeping and they kicked the shit out of him.

Cops deal with shady people every day, if someone indicates they're going to be a threat a cop wouldn't take a chance they're just talking the talk, they assume they're going to get fucking stabbed.

If it was unnecessary and unprovoked, of course they should be charged with assault, but I'd bet the guy made the first move.

5hift
12-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

-taser people to death

I dont know if DayGlow will make a comment, I mean that little traffic manual he refers to in every post probably doesnt tell him what to do in this situation.

5hift
12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
Yeah but what they DIDN'T mention in the statement is if the homeless guy did anything to deserve it, or was just sleeping and they kicked the shit out of him.

Cops deal with shady people every day, if someone indicates they're going to be a threat a cop wouldn't take a chance they're just talking the talk, they assume they're going to get fucking stabbed.

If it was unnecessary and unprovoked, of course they should be charged with assault, but I'd bet the guy made the first move.

if the bum made the first move, we'd be reading about another taser fatality. Why would they resort to punching and kicking a defenseless man when they can try out their new toys on him.

Think about it, if he made a move towards cops, shouldnt the cops have arrested him at the scene, and he'd be listed among the other cops charged for assualt?

spikerS
12-19-2007, 08:32 PM

if the bum made the first move, we'd be reading about another taser fatality. Why would they resort to punching and kicking a defenseless man when they can try out their new toys on him.

Think about it, if he made a move towards cops, shouldnt the cops have arrested him at the scene, and he'd be listed among the other cops charged for assualt?

they were off duty, they didn't have the taser on them.

funny how the cops can only do wrong around you holier than thou idiots, and never do any good.

phil98z24
12-19-2007, 08:47 PM

JAYMEZ
12-19-2007, 09:01 PM
There is always 3 sides to the story , so we will see how this goes.. Ive seen morons being arrested before at my work and then shout "Racism or assault!!" when all the cops are doing is holding the moron in place... But on the other side I have seen unnecessary force used , I guess it comes with the power some of these guys are given... Im just afraid with all this mass recruiting and some restrictions being removed we are going to see some bad people come into the system that will give the good guys a bad rep..

JAYMEZ
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM

-taser people to death

True..

But they also arrest killers
- Arrest Drugdealers
- Arrest Child Molestors /Rapists
- Keep drunk drivers off the road
- Keep me from getting shanked or shot at work..

Always some good with the bad right! The damn thing they need to change is our LAW and how these people are dealt with! I mean you see a first time child molestor offender get a few months , and then some dude short for cash commiting a fraud for $10,000 get ten years... I mean you can see were the Gov'ts focusing its attention. $$$$$$$$$$$

5hift
12-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24
Listen up, guys. Dayglow isn't the only one on this board who is a member of the CPS - so am I. I have had to sit and watch the misinformed opinions of some members here about the two officers who did their jobs properly and within the confines of THE LAW, who had their actions only half broadcast by the media and never got to show the other side of the story where the man in question elvated the circumstances to the point that the proper amount of force and techniques were used in order to effect arrest. Now that this has come up and I have to see this yet again - I've had enough, and I'm speaking up. Flame me as you wish, but I feel I have to say SOMETHING on behalf of these guys.

You don't know the entire story behind this incident and what actually happened, and I can tell you right now - we deserve the same due process as everyone else, and the key word in this whole mess is ALLEGATIONS. Everyone else can have their day in court, and if you think we can just cover things up and make them go away, you are fooled. We have alot more transparency than most in this city.. who do you think is the most visible, high profile, and watched out of anyone else? Us, the police.

If you seriously believe those two constables are on a 'paid vacation' at this time of year, you are deluded. This kind of thing isn't funny, and having to appear before the LERB or be formally charged is not fun, regardless of whether you are paid or not. Those two are worried for their careers, their livelihood, and their families, regardless of whether they did anything wrong or not.

The incessant bashing of cops on this board astounds me - you guys have no idea what we go through day in and day out, and the things we have to do to keep the bad guys at bay so you all can enjoy your life in this fine city. What especially bothers me is the quick jumping to conclusions about this matter, when you haven't the first clue about what actually happened.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but give it a break with the insults and petty crap about how we get away with shit and all that. Maybe you should consider all the good things, and that maybe there was a good reason for what happened? Those of you who considered that - I applaud you. Those of you who refuse to do so or are speaking before considering that - please, consider all sides of the story (especially when you don't have them) before speaking.

It's only fair.

^^

and how would you know exactly what happened? Did you see it with your own eyes, on video tape? or going by what someone in the police force told you? If your going by what your fellow police officers have said, you have about as much actual knowledge of what happened as I do. Yeah the guy has a history, why is that always the only thing brought up?

If the officers did their jobs within the confins of the law, and this bum initiated the situation, why wasnt he arrested/charged and listed in the paper as well?

"The incessant bashing of cops on this board" you refer to isnt some misguided middle class hate based off mtv rap videos hating cops. For me personally growing up in Calgary, I have had too many coincidental incidences and conflicts with the police not of my doing. A lifetime of bad experiences isnt going to leave anyone happy with the CPS. Dont give me this BS about not knowing what you guys "go through" day in and day out protecting Calgarians keeping the "bad guys at bay". You do that because you chose it as your job and you need a paycheck, drop the out to save the world cries.

urban.one
12-19-2007, 09:14 PM
The other side of the story: Guy attacks cops in stairwell. Cops restrain guy - guy gets injured. Cops do guy a favor and tell him to go on his way and they wont arrest him for assault. Guy is angry and crazy and goes and files complaint against officers.

Cops never do wrong. The media always twists everything.

Listen up, guys. Dayglow isn't the only one on this board who is a member of the CPS - so am I. I have had to sit and watch the misinformed opinions of some members here about the two officers who did their jobs properly and within the confines of THE LAW, who had their actions only half broadcast by the media and never got to show the other side of the story where the man in question elvated the circumstances to the point that the proper amount of force and techniques were used in order to effect arrest. Now that this has come up and I have to see this yet again - I've had enough, and I'm speaking up. Flame me as you wish, but I feel I have to say SOMETHING on behalf of these guys.

You don't know the entire story behind this incident and what actually happened, and I can tell you right now - we deserve the same due process as everyone else, and the key word in this whole mess is ALLEGATIONS. Everyone else can have their day in court, and if you think we can just cover things up and make them go away, you are fooled. We have alot more transparency than most in this city.. who do you think is the most visible, high profile, and watched out of anyone else? Us, the police.

If you seriously believe those two constables are on a 'paid vacation' at this time of year, you are deluded. This kind of thing isn't funny, and having to appear before the LERB or be formally charged is not fun, regardless of whether you are paid or not. Those two are worried for their careers, their livelihood, and their families, regardless of whether they did anything wrong or not.

The incessant bashing of cops on this board astounds me - you guys have no idea what we go through day in and day out, and the things we have to do to keep the bad guys at bay so you all can enjoy your life in this fine city. What especially bothers me is the quick jumping to conclusions about this matter, when you haven't the first clue about what actually happened.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but give it a break with the insults and petty crap about how we get away with shit and all that. Maybe you should consider all the good things, and that maybe there was a good reason for what happened? Those of you who considered that - I applaud you. Those of you who refuse to do so or are speaking before considering that - please, consider all sides of the story (especially when you don't have them) before speaking.

It's only fair.

~Leah~
12-19-2007, 09:22 PM

It's only fair.

Face it, cops DO get away with a lot of shit.

Take my friend for example. We were at Shanks on Nov. 30 for my boyfriend's work Christmas party. Around 1:30, buddy goes outside for a smoke. This guy is a quiet Nova Scotia boy (I know it's rare) and I've never even heard him swear before. He goes to ask a group of guys for a lighter and out of nowhere this cop pushes him, wrestles him to the ground. He keeps trying to vocalize that he's not resisting, and wants to know what's going on. The cop pulls out his tazer.... and tazers him not once, but TWICE! After all this bullshit about people dying from tazers and he gets tazed twice for what reason? He gets taken down to the station and he finally gets to ask what he did. "You tried to kick me in the face." says the cop. Ummm... and this is what happened when the initial takedown started when he was asking for a lighter? A few days later after lawyers contact Shanks and the police, we find out a guy that sort of looks like our buddy had punched a girl in the face that night. They just decided to go after our friend cuz he was the first one they saw that fit the description. Ridiculous. If he gets away with that, are you seriously still going to sit there and tell me there was a good reason for attacking an innocent person who did absolutely nothing?

And you know, when you do try to help the cops out, do they even thank you? No. I've helped the police catch 3 robberies in progress thanks to the view from my downtown apartment balconies. I witnessed a guy breaking into someone's car (from looking through the parking lot, finding the brick, and watched him smash the window) and could tell exactly what was taken and the direction he was running. I actually directed the officers as I was watching from my balcony to let them know they got the right guy. Of course they needed proof so they got a hold of the victim and called her cell phone.... and the guy's pocket started ringing. But they treat me like that was my duty to help them out. I used to have so much respect for cops but let me tell you with recent events over the past couple of years, that is slipping away.

Godfuader
12-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Isn't suspension with pay a huge career obstacle for the police? I understand that they get paid during investigations because of due course...but it should be black mark on their profile.
I deal with the CPD while im wearing my suit in my office and I have dealt with the CPD dressed casually in my car...and they do tend to flex their bullying muscle in the latter situation. 10 years ago there were a few bad apples on the force....5 years ago it was a toss-up...nowadays with the lack of proper recruiting, all we encounter are these power-tripping kids on the force. :thumbsdow

mark4091
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM

-taser people to death

Do you learn everything from the internet?

I have NEVER met a bad cop, everytime I've been arrested or in any sort of trouble I have never had a problem and was able to get along with the cops.

rmk
12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
But they treat me like that was my duty to help them out.

It IS your duty as an upstanding citizen to help out. Good on you.

phil98z24
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM

phil98z24
12-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Take my friend for example. We were at Shanks on Nov. 30 for my boyfriend's work Christmas party. Around 1:30, buddy goes outside for a smoke. This guy is a quiet Nova Scotia boy (I know it's rare) and I've never even heard him swear before. He goes to ask a group of guys for a lighter and out of nowhere this cop pushes him, wrestles him to the ground. He keeps trying to vocalize that he's not resisting, and wants to know what's going on. The cop pulls out his tazer.... and tazers him not once, but TWICE! After all this bullshit about people dying from tazers and he gets tazed twice for what reason? He gets taken down to the station and he finally gets to ask what he did. "You tried to kick me in the face." says the cop. Ummm... and this is what happened when the initial takedown started when he was asking for a lighter? A few days later after lawyers contact Shanks and the police, we find out a guy that sort of looks like our buddy had punched a girl in the face that night. They just decided to go after our friend cuz he was the first one they saw that fit the description. Ridiculous. If he gets away with that, are you seriously still going to sit there and tell me there was a good reason for attacking an innocent person who did absolutely nothing?

And you know, when you do try to help the cops out, do they even thank you? No. I've helped the police catch 3 robberies in progress thanks to the view from my downtown apartment balconies. I witnessed a guy breaking into someone's car (from looking through the parking lot, finding the brick, and watched him smash the window) and could tell exactly what was taken and the direction he was running. I actually directed the officers as I was watching from my balcony to let them know they got the right guy. Of course they needed proof so they got a hold of the victim and called her cell phone.... and the guy's pocket started ringing. But they treat me like that was my duty to help them out. I used to have so much respect for cops but let me tell you with recent events over the past couple of years, that is slipping away.

The only comment I will make regarding your Taser story is that there are many eyes who will see that report and why he used a Taser on that person, and no, he will not get away with it like you seem to think will happen. The CPS takes force issues very seriously, and I can assure you that if he was in fact wrong in doing what he did (not knowing the entire story, as I'm sure you don't when hearing only one side of it) that officer will be held accountable. Not everyone gets to see this part of the process which is why people don't believe it happens, but I can assure you - it does.

About helping the boys out, I can guarantee you they appreciate it. Every bit of help is always appreciated it, and I'm sorry they never thanked you for that. I try to do whenever I can, but sometimes you just get busy, wrapped up in the investigation, or just plain forget... I don't think it's meant as a slight against anyone. I'm sure there are those who treat it how you see it, like it's your duty, but they are in the minority.

DayGlow
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry, but I won't comment about this because I personally have no idea what happened. A complaint has been filed, it has been investigated and reviewed by the Crown and charges laid.

I know the same as everyone else. I can't defend or condemn actions I have no knowledge of. If they are guilty of a crime they will face the consequences of their actions, or ultimately vindicated, depending on the truth comes out in their day in court.

GTS Jeff
12-20-2007, 01:00 AM

It's only fair. Wow ok. First off, let me say that I like you. I really do. You're nothing like DayGlow and I appreciate your ability to think in a reasonable manner.

My last post was definitely unnecessary bashing, as I have met just as many respectable cops as dirty, self-righteous cops. I guess it could be attributed to the ticket I got a couple days ago. The jerk pulled me over for doing 120 in a 100 because I sped up to pass a car on an undivided highway, even though he clocked me going exactly 110 before and after the pass. But I digress.

You say that being suspended with pay is rough? Fuck that. You know what's tough? Being in jail. Not being able to work because you're behind bars. No pay whatsoever. Having to call an attorney from the clink. Hoping your family can make bail. Now what were saying was so tough about being on a paid vacation?

Bimmer88
12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
EDIT: Well sorry it was a pointless comment I posted, and the homeless man may of deserved the beating but we don't know that. Let the CPS do their own internal investigation, and we can conclude from there.

No officier is above that law, just as if no celebrity or richest man in this world is above the law. All will be served justice, and punished accordingly. However, they may be let off lighter since they are public servants.

Also, the media in Canada can be pretty bias as well, most media stories don't choose to play the real truth because it's not as attractive. Lets face it, we live in a society that's run by greed. Why do you think at 6AM in the morning Global News with their helicopter plays a "Subway" Logo on the bottom left or when the lady or man is signing off, they say alittle "shpeel". If you want BIAS news turn your channel to CNN.

PS: The strike on the Transit Union was not because they wanted a raise, it was due to pension and other sorts of factors. I was told this by an actual employee that works for Calgary Transit. The media lies!!!

TomcoPDR
12-20-2007, 04:36 AM
To phil98z24: First off, I honestly do respect the PRINCIPLES and IDEAS/THEROIES in your line of work (to serve and to protect), and I respect YOU and other officers for choosing your career, a job, in which you have the potential to risk your lives, and ideally performing the outlined duties servicing the city within your task desciption; which in theory help run a city in orderly fashion. (hey, but with all due respect, you seen that snow-crab catching TV show "deadlist catch" those guys risk their lives too, coal miners risk their lives too, Chinese immigrants building the Canadian railroad risk their lives too, list goes on, and those are regular non-active violent related jobs) "Law Enforcement" is a choosen active violent JOB, let's make this clear. (people joining the army know they'll fight, high chances of dying, chances of killing people for those who are into that)... So PLEASE do not forget the rewards for being in high risk law enforcement jobs (i.e. not talking about wink-wink specific cases, even off-duty officers caught beating someone REGARDLESS of reason, they don't get arrested, they don't get legally deserved tasered, the "perk" is paid time-out until the evidence is "solved", I mean proper paperwork gets processed... what about speeding pass for spouses whereas citizens get fines, tickets, dermits, court dates, etc...) This high risk JOB comes with perks, in this great free-will country, people CHOOSE their jobs under free-will, and quit under free-will.

But the sad truth is that in society there are greater factors such as reality that prevents one who wears a uniform from doing their proper "police work" regardless of their good intentions or not... An extreme example would be there are certain types of officers assigned to Compton (LA) who really can't BE IN Compton. (so does that mean the officer(s) are not doing a good job? cuz people get their asses capped every day there) REALITY CHECK is that in order for certain officers to stay alive (and not truely risk their lives), is to look away. (I'll man up, I'z be doing exact same if I was patroning Compton)... The other extreme would be two classical words: Rodney King. Basic human interaction principles we learn from pre-school, either YOU intimidate and bully, or YOU get intimidated and bullied on.

phil98z24
12-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Tomco - I appreciate your point of view. I am aware of the so called 'perks' you describe, and the extremes in the case of officers like the ones who work places like Compton. As far as doing this job by choice; well, we do it because we like what we do and helping people.

GTS Jeff - You can think what you like about being suspended with pay as being a vacation... I just know that in their position they now get to worry about their careers and what will happen, even if they did nothing wrong. It can't be easy. You are entitled to your opinion, and that's fine. Thanks for your response though, I appreciate the more settled flavor to it. ;)

As far as the rest of you go - I've said my piece. I can see everyone's perspective (as I've mentioned) but I just want to see a little bit of fairness and consideration for all sides of the story before people lower the boom, that's all. As Dayglow said, I have no personal knowledge of this either, I just would like to see people tone it down a bit until the courts decide what has happened and the ruling is made. Thanks!

Merry Christmas, all!

JAYMEZ
12-20-2007, 06:03 AM
^^ I can see that your a very reasonable person , and you probably are a good police officer.. But you must understand what people of calgary have seen dealing with Police officers. I have seen some very corrupt police doings , and you know it'll happen no matter what and no matter where you are in the world..

And I totally agree that people need to take into consideration for both sides of the story before they make a decision to bash the police.

Lets just hope the law makes the best and RIGHT decision.

Merry Christmas to you too!

VTEXTC
12-20-2007, 06:53 AM

Take my friend for example. We were at Shanks on Nov. 30 for my boyfriend's work Christmas party. Around 1:30, buddy goes outside for a smoke. This guy is a quiet Nova Scotia boy (I know it's rare) and I've never even heard him swear before. He goes to ask a group of guys for a lighter and out of nowhere this cop pushes him, wrestles him to the ground. He keeps trying to vocalize that he's not resisting, and wants to know what's going on. The cop pulls out his tazer.... and tazers him not once, but TWICE! After all this bullshit about people dying from tazers and he gets tazed twice for what reason? He gets taken down to the station and he finally gets to ask what he did. "You tried to kick me in the face." says the cop. Ummm... and this is what happened when the initial takedown started when he was asking for a lighter? A few days later after lawyers contact Shanks and the police, we find out a guy that sort of looks like our buddy had punched a girl in the face that night. They just decided to go after our friend cuz he was the first one they saw that fit the description.

Yet another example of "many sides" to every story. I was at Schanks that night, and clearly remember the taser "victim" if you can call him that, being asked to step away from the officer, or risk being arrested for obstruction. It was during the time that the officer tried to make the arrest that the taser was deployed. I can't vouch for the "kicking in the face" allegation made, but can say that the officer was trying to arrest an unruly drunk who wouldn't listen for obstruction of justice.

As countless others have said, my opinion here is moot. I'm sure that the CPS internal investigation and lawyers will figure this and all other similar incidents out. After all, that is what our justice system is for. Like it or not, everyone including the cops are subject to it!

googe
12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
The reason people get so upset is because nothing makes your blood boil more than getting bullied by someone untouchable. It's really hard to take in stride, and most people will hold that grudge forever. I'm sure everyone can relate. When the person that walks on you one day happens to be a cop, and it's seemingly for no good reason other than "because they can", you just can't wait to see that guy and all others like him thrown to the wolves.

It would be more beneficial for the CPS to NOT instinctively defend these guys against all reason. The more you can distance yourselves from the bad apples and flush them out of the force, the better it will be for everyone.

If by the time most people in their mid to late 20s have seen some serious bullshit pulled, I hope someone on the force can man up and admit that "due process" is not always followed among their coworkers.

I just find it hilarious when certain cops on here defend every single move right down to flipping on sirens at a quiet intersection because they didn't want to wait for a light by saying "they were probably responding to a call and had to turn the sirens off so as to not alert the criminals". It's not stuff like that or letting friends off speeding tickets that anyone even cares about, but to be in complete denial of everything makes it hard to take them seriously.

I definitely wouldn't say that every cop I met has been an asshole, I respect a lot of them. But I seriously despise the bully cops, and they've only become worse since tasers have been introduced. Some personalities don't respond well to power, and the taser gives them way more power than some of them can handle. A handheld device that has about as much persuasion and compliance power as a gun, but the victim is unscathed minutes later. Sounds like a bully's wet dream! At least with a gun, you have to stop and think "is this REALLY necessary", because you know you wont get far using your gun as a bully toy.

The obvious cash-cow operations that have no argument whatsoever for increasing public safety (and some of which are even shown in studies to be MORE unsafe) also really detract from the "noble" image they try to portray, pissing off even more non-criminals that otherwise would have supported the organization. But no, you'd rather trade their $127 for their support and wonder why everyone is so bitter :)

From phil98z24's couple posts on here, I'd say he sounds like he has his head on straight and I appreciate his side. I can understand the need to step in when you feel that your own are being wrongly crucified, but I also hope you'd be the first to jump in when your coworkers ARE in the wrong. I dunno what I would do, you won't get anywhere being a whiny rat to your coworkers, but if your name gets smeared because of their bullshit and you didn't say anything, you can't really blame anyone but yourself.

5hift
12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Googe hit it right on the head. The most frustrating thing with the police, especially cps is how nowadays they have this untouchable you cant do shit attitude.

Many incidents have happened after this summer alone, where the police have exhibited this very behavior and nothing really has been done, and I would love to hear phil98z24's opinions on these.

This very topic right now, from the police's very own mouth: The homeless man, who suffers from a mental illness and is known to downtown outreach agencies, allegedly encountered the officers when they discovered him inside a lower stairwell. He was found in front of a locked door leading to the police gym. It appears he was sleeping at the time," said Insp. Ken Marchant of the professional standards section.

Or the tape showing a handcuffed man lying on his stomach being punched by an officer and being dragged by his handcuffed wrists. Why was he initially charged with possession of cocaine and resisting arrest, but those counts were later withdrawn? The cocaine magically disspeared?

Or how in August, Calgary police Const. Neal Stubbs, 32, was charged with assault after the RCMP responded to a domestic call at his home. The arrest triggered an internal police investigation and Stubbs, a seven-year member of the Calgary force, has been relieved from duty WITH PAY. So you mean if I beat my wife, get charged and get fired, I still get paid?

Also in August, criminal charges were laid against Const. Dean Pankewicz, a veteran officer accused of brokering sales of firearms that were supposed to be destroyed in last year's provincial gun amnesty. A police officer selling guns.... back to the streets he collected them from.

And Det. Travis Dunkle was relieved from duty with pay in August following a dispute over an $8 cab fare in Sylvan Lake that resulted in criminal charges against him. Highlights the general attitude of the police of how they think they are above the law... willing to have your name in the paper and charged over 8 bucks.
Earlier this year, Dunkle was fined $920 and had his driver's licence taken away for a year after pleading guilty to not providing a breath sample stemming from a crash involving a tractor-trailer in April.

So let me get this straight, I can beat up a Cabbie over 8 bucks, cause an accident driving drunk, and I still get relieved from Duty with PAY? What does a cop have to do to get fired without pay? Lead the RCMP on a high speed chase while shooting wildly in the air and doing lines of coke off underaged hookers breasts? I really am interested to see how phil98z24 can explain this as justifiable.

Eleanor
12-20-2007, 12:16 PM

If this story is true, and you went to lawyers, I don't think he'd be getting away with it. Couldn't the officer in question get charged with unnecessary force or unreasonable seizure? If you didn't get a lawyer and press charges, then you're helping him get away with it.

As for the story at hand, I do believe that the CPS overall does very good work for the city and unfortunately it's incidents like this that people tend to associate the entire force with. If the officers involved are found to be guilty, i'm sure they would be punished to the fullest extent of the law (however minor that may be unfortunately) and we'll all be reading about it on the front page of the Herald. If they are innocent i highly doubt there will be anything in the papers about it more than a tiny column on page 17 in the city section if at all.

I find it funny that people don't believe that the papers manipulate stuff printed in them, they're going to print whatever they think will sell the most papers and the police pulling over 30 DUIs isn't as exciting as a couple of bad apples beating up a homeless guy.

As for the officers getting paid after being charged I agree with finboy's point of making them payback any money they were paid while the investigation was underway.

:thumbsup: to DayGlow and phil98z24 to show people on these boards that not all CPS can be painted with the same brush. It's good to have some professional insight to some of the matters on this board.

Canmorite
12-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Looks a three week holiday with pay for them.

Yup. So sad.

DayGlow
12-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Googe hit it right on the head. The most frustrating thing with the police, especially cps is how nowadays they have this untouchable you cant do shit attitude.

Many incidents have happened after this summer alone, where the police have exhibited this very behavior and nothing really has been done, and I would love to hear phil98z24's opinions on these.

This very topic right now, from the police's very own mouth: The homeless man, who suffers from a mental illness and is known to downtown outreach agencies, allegedly encountered the officers when they discovered him inside a lower stairwell. He was found in front of a locked door leading to the police gym. It appears he was sleeping at the time," said Insp. Ken Marchant of the professional standards section.

Or the tape showing a handcuffed man lying on his stomach being punched by an officer and being dragged by his handcuffed wrists. Why was he initially charged with possession of cocaine and resisting arrest, but those counts were later withdrawn? The cocaine magically disspeared?

Or how in August, Calgary police Const. Neal Stubbs, 32, was charged with assault after the RCMP responded to a domestic call at his home. The arrest triggered an internal police investigation and Stubbs, a seven-year member of the Calgary force, has been relieved from duty WITH PAY. So you mean if I beat my wife, get charged and get fired, I still get paid?

Also in August, criminal charges were laid against Const. Dean Pankewicz, a veteran officer accused of brokering sales of firearms that were supposed to be destroyed in last year's provincial gun amnesty. A police officer selling guns.... back to the streets he collected them from.

And Det. Travis Dunkle was relieved from duty with pay in August following a dispute over an $8 cab fare in Sylvan Lake that resulted in criminal charges against him. Highlights the general attitude of the police of how they think they are above the law... willing to have your name in the paper and charged over 8 bucks.
Earlier this year, Dunkle was fined $920 and had his driver's licence taken away for a year after pleading guilty to not providing a breath sample stemming from a crash involving a tractor-trailer in April.

So let me get this straight, I can beat up a Cabbie over 8 bucks, cause an accident driving drunk, and I still get relieved from Duty with PAY? What does a cop have to do to get fired without pay? Lead the RCMP on a high speed chase while shooting wildly in the air and doing lines of coke off underaged hookers breasts? I really am interested to see how phil98z24 can explain this as justifiable.

A lot of it has to do with the media not following up on their reports.

The guy that was charged with possession that had the charges dropped? That was part of a larger deal with the crown where he pled guilty to some other earlier charges and that one was dropped. The crown at the time had no idea that the dropped charges were from this incident. Media was informed of this, but never reported it.

The charges against Cst. Stubbs were dropped as they were unfounded. Why would the media report that? It's boring isn't it?

As for the other guys they are charged and before the courts. Based on the outcome of their trials, which they have the right to have like every other person in society internal disciplinary actions will be decided on. Depending on the internal review they could face lost of wage, demotion and the corresponding wage cut or outright dismissal. For reference I know of one individual that was found guilty of impaired driving. His internal review had him dropped from 1st class constable to 4th class. That means he lost around $20,000 in wages. For a person with a family and mortgage, that's a massive punishment on top of the sentence from the courts.

btw, where does it say he beat up the cabbie? My understanding is that he just refused to pay the $8 only. If he is found guilty of this incident on top of his last transgression my guess is that he will be relieved of duty. I would be really surprised if he's able to keep his job after this.

2000Accord
12-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Firstly – I think there are some excellent points on this thread…one of the most important being that the media is not as responsible in their reporting as they should be…one could say they are not held to the same level of professionalism as the CPS…don’t get me wrong, I too have encountered cops who like to be a bully as they are ‘untouchable’, and this is incredibly frustrating…but there are some pretty good cops out there too.

I am also willing to give a bit of latitude to the CPS who can be a bit rude at times, I can appreciate if I were dealing with some of the low-life’s they have to deal with in a day, that my patience may be a bit worn by the end of the day/week...I did a say a bit of latitude, they should still be held accountable to be professional and not abuse their authority.

I am also willing to give some latitude to suspensions with pay….many of us could receive an impaired or have an altercation with a cab driver, and this would not have an impact on our profession/career/income…whereas the two officers in question currently are heading into Christmas with great concern for their career/income….that said, the police do have a lot of power, and consequently it is reasonable that they are held to a very high standard. In my opinion this 7 day suspension with pay does seem reasonable seeing as the investigation is currently ongoing.

phil98z24
12-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
^^ I can see that your a very reasonable person , and you probably are a good police officer.. But you must understand what people of calgary have seen dealing with Police officers. I have seen some very corrupt police doings , and you know it'll happen no matter what and no matter where you are in the world..

And I totally agree that people need to take into consideration for both sides of the story before they make a decision to bash the police.

Lets just hope the law makes the best and RIGHT decision.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Man, I hope so too... we need to be held accountable just as much as the next guy. I can understand that perspective; I just want everyone to just cool it a bit and see that the law will take care of things, and to not make assumptions. Thanks!

phil98z24
12-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Dayglow said it all... I have nothing really further to say to this. I'm not going to deny there are bad apples, because there are. Those are the ones that need to be dealt with a punished accordingly - we don't want them, and we don't need them. Googe, rest assured - I will be the first to stand up and admonish people for their actions. I will not defend anyone who is clearly in the wrong, I hate that just as much as you do. I also hate that crap that some of the bad apples do just as much as you guys, if not more. We take an oath of office that swears to uphold the law, not break it. When one of our own does that, trust me, it pisses us off. I just don't want anyone to assume these guys went and just tuned this guy for no apparent reason until the facts come out.

The only thing I will say further to the incidents is that the media doesn't report the follow up and when they do, it's a small little blurb and doesn't glorify/embellish like they do with the initial incident. It's quite unfortunate.

Merry Christmas, all!

topmade
12-21-2007, 11:30 AM
You can blame all that stuff on the media, they feed it to the public becuase it's the kind of stuff that sells. You'll never see "Nice cop lets man off on speeding ticket", but this happens all the time. But you'll see "Cop charged with assualt for giving out petty speeding ticket". Without even knowing a fraction of the real story (again media, leaving out certain details), people see this shit and say "WTFOMFGBBQ, this must mean ALL COPS are bad!!"

Keyword here is all the "ASS"umptions that people make. Lets just hope justice prevails and whoever is in the wrong gets the proper penalty. I just don't know what you'd do to the homeless man if he was making this shit up?

TomcoPDR
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by topmade
I just don't know what you'd do to the homeless man if he was making this shit up?

Like fall down the stairs all by himself and brusing himself?

http://www.break.com/index/driver-gets-tazed-for-being-slow1.html

googe
12-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Dayglow said it all... I have nothing really further to say to this. I'm not going to deny there are bad apples, because there are. Those are the ones that need to be dealt with a punished accordingly - we don't want them, and we don't need them. Googe, rest assured - I will be the first to stand up and admonish people for their actions. I will not defend anyone who is clearly in the wrong, I hate that just as much as you do. I also hate that crap that some of the bad apples do just as much as you guys, if not more. We take an oath of office that swears to uphold the law, not break it. When one of our own does that, trust me, it pisses us off. I just don't want anyone to assume these guys went and just tuned this guy for no apparent reason until the facts come out.

The only thing I will say further to the incidents is that the media doesn't report the follow up and when they do, it's a small little blurb and doesn't glorify/embellish like they do with the initial incident. It's quite unfortunate.

Anyways, I'm away on a well deserved holiday in Saskabush of all places, hahaha.. if you guys want to have a look at the papers today or Citybeat about the stolen vehicles where they talk about the Sequoia trying to run down two officers, one of those officers was me. Good times. ;)

Merry Christmas, all!

Fair enough :thumbsup: Merry Christmas!

rmk
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
can't remember if this thread (cps members beat down person in staircase) or the thread about the cps beatdown in downtown alleyway (vid was on youtube) is the one reffering to the charges:

cps member charged:

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2008/08/release.20080812_153902_7231_0

two years on the force. nice one rookie

phil98z24
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rmk
can't remember if this thread (cps members beat down person in staircase) or the thread about the cps beatdown in downtown alleyway (vid was on youtube) is the one reffering to the charges:

cps member charged:

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2008/08/release.20080812_153902_7231_0

two years on the force. nice one rookie

Hmmm... seems to me they said something about a traffic stop and ensuing altercation from said traffic stop. ;)

rmk
08-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Hmmm... seems to me they said something about a traffic stop and ensuing altercation from said traffic stop. ;)

touche :rofl:

looks like those act out will be punished. a youngin, no less.

phil98z24
08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Keep this in mind: He is 38 years old and probably a mature enough fellow to know what he was doing, and I'm sure there are details that we don't yet know... public scrutiny and accountability sometimes drive the system to hold us accountable for things where in the end we are found to be in the right. We will see what happens, right? :)

Super_Geo
08-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Keep this in mind: He is 38 years old and probably a mature enough fellow to know what he was doing, and I'm sure there are details that we don't yet know... public scrutiny and accountability sometimes drive the system to hold us accountable for things where in the end we are found to be in the right. We will see what happens, right? :)

You're innocent until proven guilty in the court of law... but this isn't the court of law. This is probably Calgary's biggest internet mob, and typical Beyond threads about anyone getting into shit always starts with people making fun of that person and speculating about where they went wrong in life. It's a system that works, please don't fuck with it... especially if the only time you do so is when you have nothing to go on except the fact that a cop is in trouble, so then there must be another side of the story.

Dayglow and phil98z24, I don't give one flying fuck about what the other side of the story might be, I really don't. You know what really happened? Then pipe the fuck up and tell us what really happened!

If not, don't hop on here saying "Ooooh, um... well... um... nothing is official yet, wait for half a year for the results to come in and then form an opinion." How about no. You know what, if you give that much of a shit about it, you keep track of the story and come back in 6 months and if the cop is cleared then prep a news release and yell it from the roof tops and tell us how wrong we all were.

Until that day comes, Elsom is a douchebag who shouldn't wear the badge. Oh, and I'm 90% sure he barely passed high school.