PDA

View Full Version : How to choose the right body shop!!!!!

integra_xsi
12-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Things to consider when choosing a body shop.

Body work: bodywork should be completed in 180 grit or higher. If its not the scratches will show up when the paint is cured.

Ask if the shop uses Lead to repair body work. Lead is better than bondo (plastic filler). It's more durable.

Prep work: The prep work should be finished in 800 grit or higher.
Ask the shop if they wet sand or dry sand the primer. Wet sanding does a better job if done properly. The primer should be checked for sand scratches. In a high end shop, the scratches are removed before its painted.

Paint work: Ask if the dirt nibs and contaminants are sanded out in the base coat, before the clearcoat is applied.

Detail work: Detailer should remove the dirt and contaminants that are on the clear coat prior to delivery of vehicle.

Body lines, straightness of panel, and color matching is also something to consider.

If the shop you choose does'nt do these steps they are not a high end shop.

dragonone
12-20-2007, 12:53 AM
we should get this stickied (if the info correct) and list all those bodyshops from that recommended bodyshop thread

20incheyes
12-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Being a bodyshop owner that list is amusing to read. I'm not sure where you gathered this info but it looks like its from sources allover, including the 1960s.

frozenrice
12-20-2007, 05:43 PM
^^I think the OP's intent is not a bad idea, so seeing as you're from the other side of the fence, out of curiosity then, what kinds of things would you add (or delete) from the OP's list to make it more realistic?

TomcoPDR
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
Being a bodyshop owner that list is amusing to read. I'm not sure where you gathered this info but it looks like its from sources allover, including the 1960s. :werd: lol, "lead" I remember my high school bodyshop days of brazing...

Good intentions, but wrong title/delivery that's all... "signs of good bodywork process" or something like that. I'm not current in the bodyshop biz, so I can't judge anything off that list.

integra_xsi
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I guess the title should have been different.

I realize the steps taken to complete a pain job may seem extreme, or even over kill.

Your average production shop wont do these steps because, most production shops are paid by the job, not by the hour.

The body work is usually finished in 80-120 grit grade

The prep work is finished in 320-400 grit. There is no wet sanding and work is not checked for scratches.

The painter will not sand out imperfections in the base coat.

The detailer may or may not remove imperfections in the clear coat. Depending on the shop.

There are shops that use those steps in the city as of today.

If your curious which of these shops ,who go to extremes when repairing a car, send me a private message and i can point you in the general direction.

Sharpie
12-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by integra_xsi
I guess the title should have been different.

I realize the steps taken to complete a pain job may seem extreme, or even over kill.

Your average production shop wont do these steps because, most production shops are paid by the job, not by the hour.

The body work is usually finished in 80-120 grit grade

The prep work is finished in 320-400 grit. There is no wet sanding and work is not checked for scratches.

The painter will not sand out imperfections in the base coat.

The detailer may or may not remove imperfections in the clear coat. Depending on the shop.

There are shops that use those steps in the city as of today.

If your curious which of these shops ,who go to extremes when repairing a car, send me a private message and i can point you in the general direction.
Dude, I know you're trying to help, but please get some info straight. These are the worst of your concerns when taking a car to a body shop. You should be finding out if they are removing all the mouldings, door handles ect. on blends and such. because you will be able to see scratches when you pick up the vehicle, so you can bitch right away. But if stuff was just masked off then it can start to peel 3-4 months down the road, and you're basicly hooped. Also sanding inbetween base coats to clear coat, isn't neccassary in a good booth. plus like you said most shops are production so they dont worry about having a paint job come out 100%, although alot of shops should fix dirt nibs and such.

integra_xsi
12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
You bring up an interesting point sharpie:

The removal of mouldings, handles, mirrors on blend panels has nothing to do with the shop you choose to take your vehicle. It has to do with the insurance company who wrote up the estimate. If it says r&i (remove and install) on the estimate the body man will remove it because he/she is paid to do so. If there is no time allocated for removal, the person wont. Its that simple.

As for the scratches, warranty that the paint sunk and you want it fixed. Thats why lifetime warranty is available.

Maranello's, Exotic Cars International, Contemporary Coachworks, Distinctive Autoworks, These companies have down draft booths in their shops. They all denib the dirt in the base before clear coats.

Proboscis
12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I thought denib was after the clear?

AllGoNoShow
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM

The removal of mouldings, handles, mirrors on blend panels has nothing to do with the shop you choose to take your vehicle. It has to do with the insurance company who wrote up the estimate. If it says r&i (remove and install) on the estimate the body man will remove it because he/she is paid to do so. If there is no time allocated for removal, the person wont. Its that simple.

As for the scratches, warranty that the paint sunk and you want it fixed. Thats why lifetime warranty is available.

Not everyone uses Insurance to get their car painted you know?
When people walk in to get a quote from the shop, they want a price on the shit they wil be doing to the car. Therefor it is up to the shops discretion to choose to remove the mouldings or not, and most choose not to speed it up, sure they may not get paid quite as much per job, but they can take on my jobs if they don't need to nitpick.

Not all shops offer lifetime warranty either, obveously that should clue in when you go to get the paintjob done but either way you should not have to rely on a warranty in the first place if the work is done right.

TomcoPDR
12-21-2007, 03:36 AM

Maranello's, Exotic Cars International, Contemporary Coachworks, Distinctive Autoworks, These companies have down draft booths in their shops. They all denib the dirt in the base before clear coats.

I'm sorry dude, but how long have you been doing bodywork? I know you've got good intentions with starting this post, but sounds like you're reading off a grade 10 bodyshop text book, piece by piece.

I'm sorry to say this, and this applies beyond bodyshop, there are tons of legal ways for shady companies to get away with "lifetime warranties", yea the LIFE of their company; or legal entity. I'm also talking about those infommecials (if you're not happy send it back, we'll refund $9.99 product after you pay for $20.00 worth of shipping)... tons of ways the fine print screws the average joe.

SpoonEK9@STRD
12-21-2007, 12:09 PM

Since when did the insurance company know whats required to repair a car? The bodyshop gives the estimate to the insurance company, not viceversa.

integra_xsi
12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
To AllgoNoshow

I understand not everyone goes thru insurance, there is customer pay. If your paying to have the work done you have to make sure if removing of trim is how its done in thier shop.
I agree with you with the warranty if the work is done rigth in the first place warranty shouldnt be an issue. On the other hand what if the paint peels off and underneath it was sanded.. thats what warranty is for. .

To TomcoPDR
I didnt realize i was coming across as, i was reading this out of some text book. As far as I know Checking and removing sand scratches in primer and sanding out dirt in the base is something not learned in a grade ten textbook, I have worked over 10years in autobody in 3 of the shops i mentioned up in the list....Thats how i know, this is how work is done in these high end shops.
As for companies screwing the average that goes both ways. customers do it to companies too.

Spoon EK9

yes you make a good point, but the insurance companies have final say in the matter and are the ones who adjust the estimates accordingly.

20incheyes
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

Since when did the insurance company know whats required to repair a car? The bodyshop gives the estimate to the insurance company, not viceversa.

LOL LOL LOL

So insurance companies spend billions of dollars on repairing cars and know nothing about it. Bodyshops must be making huge money just bumping estimates to the max to cash in. Brilliant points, if only the world worked this way I'd be rolling around in Calgarys 6th or 7th Enzo.

If anyone has a questions that dosen't make me burst out laughing I'll try my best to answer. I've completed thousands of insurance contracts, each company has it's own way of doing business but in the end their all similar.

TomcoPDR
12-22-2007, 10:08 PM

As for companies screwing the average that goes both ways. customers do it to companies too.

Big time :( I know that feeling, you know how many people want their fender bender fixed while under their hail damage claim using PDR. :rofl: "No that door wasn't KICKED IN, the hail must had done it."

tom_9109
12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

Many insurance companies have their own damage estimators or hire a third party to do the estimate and then they provide the insurance company with the estimate which the bodyshop then gets. If anythings missing or hidden damage appears the estimator then has to ok the additions in whats called a supplement.

As for the OP i think you have some generally good idea but really no customer should decide if a shop is good or bad based on what you've pointed out. There are probably 10 people in calgary that are proficient in lead work and it does not happen for regular damage repairs, you tend to see this on some restorations only.

If a estimate doesn't have R/I time on an estimate but it is required to properly complete the job they have to R/I the part. At which time they can get the extra 0.2 hours most emblems are and the 0.5 a doorhandle might be added onto a supplement. If they take the attitude that "I'm not paid to do it" and leave a part that required an R/I for paint they would be leaving themselves open to major liability. Should the paint delaminate later because that part left on caused a bad edge, the bodyshop would be responsible, not the estimator or the insurance company.

Its the bodyshops job to ask for a supplement when its essential to a proper repair.

integra_xsi
12-23-2007, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tom_9109
[B]

As for the OP i think you have some generally good idea but really no customer should decide if a shop is good or bad based on what you've pointed out. There are probably 10 people in calgary that are proficient in lead work and it does not happen for regular damage repairs, you tend to see this on some restorations only.

I made a quick judgement on the title tom, it should have been more like the differences between a high end shop vs production shop. Or how to achieve a flawless paintjob. some where along those lines.

Continental, Exotic Cars, Distinctive actually use lead on regular damaged repairs. on a daily basis.....

As for R&I high end shops will remove trim on a vehicle, without requesting for supplements. Wether they are paid for it or not. If a company offer life time warranty, it only makes sense to cover your ass. it only makes sense to remove trim unless you like repainting cars that have delamination problems.. Its just a waste of paint, and maybe a customer.....

schurchill39
12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Good intentions, but wrong title/delivery that's all...

:werd: