PDA

View Full Version : You want cleaner air? NO WAY!

kertejud2
12-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I can only imagine the horror's of having cars with better fuel economy. Imagine, the Environmental Protection Agency wanting a state to pollute more than it wants to.

Can somebody please point out the downfalls of wanting less polution and less strain on non-renewable resources?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/washington/20epa-web.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin

Toms-SC
12-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Because Global Warming is something the Bush administration made up as a plan 'Beta' in the case they did not go to war in Iraq but Al Gore stole the plan and left the administration. As we all know war makes money and spurs mass development in an economy, to which extent it can be argued.

So as plan Beta, they would have submitted to the world that Global Warming is going to kill us all, spurring mass development in the fight against green house gases (sound like a line you remember?). With the war against green house gases in full swing the Bush administration would have profited largely due to their investment in 'Green' firms and the development internally of 'Green' products.

This move was just a stab in the back to Al Gore who stole plan 'Beta'.

Bimmer88
12-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Global Warming is a big hype and yes it's real but I believe it's a natural way of life, and a natural process of earth.

Ice glaciers have melted and receeded but they've also come back in decades.

Now second of all, Global Warming is an issue but why? because it's been sped up. So basically we have nothing to worry about.

There are cities, countries, small islands, and communities that are acting green.

I think a small island in Asia I believe or off the coast of New Zeland I totally don't remember but that whole island is powered by off shore wind power. Can you believe that?

Also right here in Alberta in Okotoks, a whole community retrofitted with solar panels to generate not only heat but to store energy.

I think were hopeless and screwed by where shit is going, but what were doing to prevent it, is better than nothing. We will leave a lot to mankind, but at the same time were going to rot this planet and it's too late.

So what if we have to live underwater? and why did politicians not step in ages ago? We have the technology to do many things... but why why why!!!???

lint
12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Global Warming is a big hype and yes it's real but I believe it's a natural way of life, and a natural process of earth.

Ice glaciers have melted and receeded but they've also come back in decades.

Now second of all, Global Warming is an issue but why? because it's been sped up. So basically we have nothing to worry about.

There are cities, countries, small islands, and communities that are acting green.

I think a small island in Asia I believe or off the coast of New Zeland I totally don't remember but that whole island is powered by off shore wind power. Can you believe that?

Also right here in Alberta in Okotoks, a whole community retrofitted with solar panels to generate not only heat but to store energy.

I think were hopeless and screwed by where shit is going, but what were doing to prevent it, is better than nothing. We will leave a lot to mankind, but at the same time were going to rot this planet and it's too late.

So what if we have to live underwater? and why did politicians not step in ages ago? We have the technology to do many things... but why why why!!!???

How inbred are you?

A790
12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by lint

How inbred are you?
Glad to see you have something constructive to contribute :)

I don't see any downsides to acting green. So long as they can make fast sports cars that are green, I'm happy :)

Eleanor
12-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Because Global Warming is something the Bush administration made up as a plan 'Beta' in the case they did not go to war in Iraq but Al Gore stole the plan and left the administration. As we all know war makes money and spurs mass development in an economy, to which extent it can be argued.

So as plan Beta, they would have submitted to the world that Global Warming is going to kill us all, spurring mass development in the fight against green house gases (sound like a line you remember?). With the war against green house gases in full swing the Bush administration would have profited largely due to their investment in 'Green' firms and the development internally of 'Green' products.

This move was just a stab in the back to Al Gore who stole plan 'Beta'.

I thought this was posted by Toma at first :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Eleanor
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
To answer the thread though, personally i think it's dumb to impose fuel economy. Emissions are really the problem. if they just do fuel economy standards, every will be driving a dirty diesel or a hybrid and we can see all the lithium batteries piling up in our landfills.

although i think the real reason they're doing this is just so they don't have to rely on middle east oil.

TKRIS
12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Actually, while counter-intuitive at first, I recently read an article about how the new diesels (for semis and whatnot) that are EPA certified are much less fuel efficient than their pre-EPA counterparts.
I'll try to find the article (it was in a trade magazine, so I'm not sure if it's on the web), but the jist of it was that, in order to meet the EPA standards, the engines had to have significantly more horsepower to accomplish the same jobs, in order to have the excess available to ensure complete combustion and reduced emissions. This increase in horsepower, predictably, reduced the engines fuel economy.

Granted, it wasn't in the realm of a diminishing return, but it should be noted that a reduction in emissions does not neccessarily equate a reduction in consumption.
In a similar vein, simply reducing the size/power of the engines available in passenger vehicles will not ensure that fuel consumption or emissions are cut.

Personally, I'd welcome further exploration into using mechanical advantages to negate the increases in consumption that seems to accompany the reductions in emissions. I've been preaching the gospel of "more gears" for years, and only recently are we starting to see some headway being made (6 speed automatics, etc).

iceburns288
12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I thought this was posted by Toma at first :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hah, +1

autosm
12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
^^^

http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0600/d000609/d000609.html