PDA

View Full Version : Tire Life: One blew out, time for a new set?

treg50
12-20-2007, 10:01 AM
One of my rear tires blew out while driving on snow and ice. It caused me to do couple of sweet WRC drifts (left then right) as I was coming out of a turn. The tires have been used all-year around since new for 5 years. They're all-season and have 105 000 kms on them, they were rotated once.

Tread depth? They're not bald or close to it, but they're quite low compared to new. I don't see any nails or visible punctures, etc.

When a tire goes is it a sign that it might be time to get a new set?

mekeni
12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
yes, please...

benyl
12-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Check out those things called wear bars... If you are there, replace them.

85regal
12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
should be replaced when they hit the wear bars, show signs of cracking, or very bad uneven wear. 105,000km?? wow..must have been a hard compound.

tirebob
12-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I personally replace my tires at around half tread or just below. Obviously it helps that I have a tire store but even before I did that.

A tire at half tread loses probably 75% of its abilities in wet and snow. Again, it is not that the tire is neccesarily dangerous though... Just I like to have maximum traction levels.

As for wearbars, that is the point your tire is illegal... Being just above does not make them good...

rc2002
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
^ I've noticed that too - driving tires with anything less than half tread in water or on snow is noticeably worse.

I think the wear bars should be placed a lot higher on tires.

105,000km is unbelievable for a set of tires. I can't believe your tires held out that long. What kind of tires are they?

teggypimp95
12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Most tires are rated for 80k, and i have always thought that was too far fetched. But 105 km wow! for sure time for a new set! Not only are your treads probably at the wear bar, but you have to remember the compounds in them break down as well, causing them to be less sticky on road or snow. I bet your side walls are pretty lose also!

Either they are fantastic tires, or you drive like an asian grandma. I wouldent be able to make them last that long lol.

Kloubek
12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
It is definately time. Regardless, you'd have to buy two new tires as you cannot replace just one. If you are going to replace two, then you might as well replace the other two. 1) Sometimes you can get a better deal by purchasing all four 2) Your handling will be better, and more predictable, and 3) You're going to have to buy another two soon anyway. Why not do it when it's slick outside, and you can utilize the better traction right away?

Just suck it up and purchase new tires. For a 1.7el, they will be pretty inexpensive...

treg50
12-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Sounds like I did a good job of saving my tires... and here I thought maybe they were giving out early, lol.

Originally posted by richardchan
^ I've noticed that too - driving tires with anything less than half
tread in water or on snow is noticeably worse.

I think the wear bars should be placed a lot higher on tires.

105,000km is unbelievable for a set of tires. I can't believe your tires
held out that long. What kind of tires are they?
They were the Firestone FR690. The overall user opinion for that tire was not great, but they worked great for me.

Update: Done. Old set out, new set in. I went with the Michelin HydroEdge. A tire that has good reviews in it's class, so it will at least be better than my old Firestones which I didn't mind, plus a promo for $100 off a set of 4 helps too.

YLW_DUB
12-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, it doesn't mean you need all new tires. just remember that you should have two of the same tires on the same axle. So I say get two new tires and put them on the front or rear of your car. Your choice.