PDA

View Full Version : Badminton - where to play?

Mys73ri0
12-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Tried to search and couldn't find anything...

are there any rec leagues or open gyms (for badminton only) around?

does U of C have a badminton club or anything like that?

TC2002
12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Are you looking for a league or just for fun whenever?

I used to just book a spot at one of the gyms at the U for badminton.

Randy
12-20-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.badmintoncalgary.ab.ca/

98type_r
12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Cardel Place has drop in for badminton, but you have to reserve a court online. Talisman also has courts for public use from what i remember, but it's been a while since I've been back there.

04es
12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
any leisure center in calgary would have it. but talisman and cardel u can reserve courts

heinz256
12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
for talisman you can also check their website for court times

anarchy
12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I've played in pretty much every court in Calgary and I still always prefer to go to Village Square Leisure Centre. It's a good place to play and there's usually decent players around. I haven't been in a long time but I know tuesday nights (cheap night) and Fridays nights were usually busy, but you wouldn't have to wait longer than 30 mins to get on a court.

If you're looking for some good competition, it has always been a decent place for me to play. however, you cannot reserve the courts tehre.

The advantage to talisman and cardel is that you can reserve your courts but there's usually noone random for you to play with so you'd have to bring a buddy.

12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by heinz256
for talisman you can also check their website for court times
Agreed. At night it's not very busy either so they just have like a section with nets up and it's pretty much empty.

riced
12-20-2007, 08:19 PM
I kind of hate the idea of reserving courts for 30 or 45 min increments.
Especially at cardel, I've had bad eperiences.. where your playing and all these old guys come and kick you off and they suck.

I've been so used to VSLC cause you just play whoever, whenever. You play for courts and switch off and on, and theres no "this is my court for this time"

but yeah, cardel in the evenings on weekdays is not bad, just bring buddies.

lint
01-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Anyone play at the U of C badminton club that's starting tonight?

npham
01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I've played there before(club), there are a few good players that show up but they are a tight group to crack. They only like to play in their circle of players, but a lot of people show up, so court time is tough.

lint
01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmmm, we'll see how it goes then. The price is right.

SOAB
01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
i played in the UofC badminton club last semester. the floor sucks ass but there are lots of people to play with.

as for being a tight knit group, i think it's just that like most badminton players, we like to play with others with the same skill level. if one or two of the players are far below the level of the rest of the players, the game is just not as fun or challenging.
the less skilled players may also feel that the others just don't want to try their hardest against them (which is probably true)

most of the players there play with feather shuttles.

what level do ya'll play at? any folks here play in the tourny's around calgary and edmonton?

Ichigo
01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
BEYOND BADMINTON GAME!!!

dooman24
01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
LOL! i used to live at the Village Square Leisure center
lol loved it there.. went there so much when i was young.. sometime skipped school to go play.. loved badminton..
VSLC has good players.

lint
02-08-2008, 12:52 AM
So the club has been running about 3 weeks now, and I'm still shaking off the rust. The level of play is very good, much better than the city rec leagues that I played in before. The floor does suck ass, but what can you do.

Does anyone know any places that let you demo rackets? I still use a couple of 20+yr old cab 9's and have been thinking about getting something newer. But it's been so long since I've shopped around for a racket, I have no idea what's out there.