PDA

View Full Version : Puppy / Training class

spiceboy
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I have a couple of 5 month old puppies and am looking for puppy classes for them. Do you guys have any recommendation? Thx

teggypimp95
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Im not sure about classes but i know if you look up in the phone book there is lots. I know a big one called "sit happens".

Also if you have a shaw pvr box record the show called " At the end of my leash", or just watch it when ever it is on. Its a calgary show with this guy who is a professional dog trainer. One of the best in the world. Follow along with what he says and it will help you alot.

anarchy
12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I know some of the pet stores do them. I believe Pet Cetera has classes for about 150 bucks if i recall correctly.

But there are also a lot of books you can read and shows you can watch that really help a lot. It'll save yourself a lot of money.

Rav4Guy
12-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Superdog Spectrum

BoostMonkey
12-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm actually going to be going to sit happens tonight, its puppy play time, you can bring your dog there for $5 and let them play with all the puppies. I have a 3 month old chocolate lab.

anarchy
12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by BoostMonkey
I'm actually going to be going to sit happens tonight, its puppy play time, you can bring your dog there for $5 and let them play with all the puppies. I have a 3 month old chocolate lab.
That sounds pretty good. i wish I had done this with my dog when she was a pup.

She doesnt interact with any dog at all, she just ignores them and does her own thing. If they get close and try to play or sniff her, she'll growl at them. She's just a little pomeranian cross too.

tson
12-20-2007, 06:28 PM
its easy it if piss somewhere smack it and take it outside

BoostMonkey
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
The puppy play time was excellent, my pup is dead tired! there was at least 40-50 puppies there, they seperate the small from the large breed puppies. For $5 it was an hour of puppies playing which is almost more entertaining for the owners to watch than for the puppies, and then on the way out the door she handed out stuffed animals to everyone that i know cost more than $5 at petcetera, they are monkeys with santa hats on and when you squeeze them they make monkey noises.
I would highly suggest this to anyone that has a pup full of energy and to get socialization skills, you can take them there up until they are 20 weeks old.
They also do dog training, puppy, intermediate, advanced and then extra classes on top of it, their prices are VERY good and more reasonible than petsmart.
I really enjoyed my experience there.

Some of the things i saw, 3 puppies shred a stuff toy in under a minute, seeing a little corgi puppy beat on 2 rotti's lol, my lab pup pinning a "don cherry" pitbull pup to the floor and then it snapping on her, haha to funny. Would have been fun to video tape some of the things.

dropdat
12-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by tson
its easy it if piss somewhere smack it and take it outside

Is that how you were trained?

Perfect Dark
12-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I take my dog to Sit Happens for both the obedience training and the puppy playtime. It's not that cheap but the classes are decent and you really do notice a difference in your dogs behavior.

clem24
12-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I've been to Superdog Spectrum before, but got no results. It is rewards/clicker based, which was not effective at all.

The best $$$ I've EVER spent on my dogs was at Clever Canines. They have very practical training and just about everything they teach makes sense. If you've ever watched the Dog Whisperer and prescribe to his methods (that basically dogs are dogs and should be treated/trained as such, but doesn't mean we don't love them any less), then this is the place for you:

http://www.clevercanines.ca/index.html

Contact Tracie and tell her Clem sent ya.

Their classes fill up really fast (and there's usually a long waiting list) and only works out to only about $15/class. During their last session, my friend got in on the waiting list because they actually kicked out some people in the class as they weren't serious enough. And not only that, but it's really awesome exercise for the owners too (about 1.5 - 2hrs of walking or hiking, 3 times a week).

codetrap
12-21-2007, 12:03 PM
We took Gracie to Sit Happens and I quite enjoyed their classes. We often get compliments on how well behaved Gracie is, but we did have to spend a fair amount of time working with her.

kenny
12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by clem24
http://www.clevercanines.ca/index.html

Contact Tracie and tell her Clem sent ya.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I took our puppy there and the improvement is amazing. This "class" is 3x per week so it does take a lot of committment but the results are worth it!

Rav4Guy
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks Clem,

I did get in contact with Tracie and will be joining her classes. Thanks!

clem24
01-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Wicked! You won't regret it.