PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Calgary Motorcycle Show

Palmiros
12-21-2007, 02:32 AM
I just remembered about this upcoming event, so I thought I'd use this as an occasion to remind everyone else. This will be my first year attending this, and I'm wondering if any of you guys are going?!

Details as follow.

http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/imagesHp07/hp2_01.jpg

Event dates & times
January 4 - 6
(January 4) Friday: 12:00 noon - 9:00 p.m.
(January 5) Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
(January 6) Sunday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Admission
Adult: $12.50
Junior: $9.00 (Ages 6 - 15)
Children: under 6 - FREE when accompanied by an Adult
Family Pass: $33.00 (2 Adults & 2 Juniors)

Discounts & Coupons
http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/images2/SHE_RIDES_PRICE_lg.jpg
http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/images2/CMS_RADIO_COUP_08.jpg

Exhibitors
For more info on exhibitors click here (http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/links.htm)

Other event details
For other event details click here (http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/visitor.htm)

--------------
That being said, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and best of luck in the New Year.

dimi
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I have found the quality of the Motorcycle Show has been deteriorating over the years so this year I'm not even going.

Palmiros
12-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by dimi
I have found the quality of the Motorcycle Show has been deteriorating over the years so this year I'm not even going.

From past experiences, have they ever sold equipment "on site"?

Graham_A_M
12-22-2007, 12:39 AM
^ I'll be going, apparently the new 08 R6 is damn good this year... that amoung other bikes.:thumbsup:

Its a great way to get rid of the winter blah's with a little two-wheeled action.:dunno:

12-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Cant wait to see the new ZX10-R!!

Cowtown_Raider
12-22-2007, 11:38 PM

party pooper :D

Yep, I gotta go. Gets me psyched up for spring

katana9x4
12-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Me and the g/f will prolly hit it up.

old&slow
12-23-2007, 07:16 AM

Be specific! You go to see motorcycles...and they are there.

Spoons
12-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

From past experiences, have they ever sold equipment "on site"?

Not that I know of. I was there two years ago, missed last year, and they weren't selling anything on site.

Palmiros
01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Bump! Starting tomorrow!

ryanallan
01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by 5.0
Cant wait to see the new ZX10-R!!

me too !
same with the 08 R6

03ozwhip
01-04-2008, 02:24 PM
its mainly just a show for the upcoming products for the year. i work for Parts Canada and i have been involved in the show process for 5 years now, not once did i see stuff for sale. its not the WOW. i was actually supposed to be one of the models of the fashion show this year, but i got cut out because i gave my notice on Wednesday the bastards, there goes my money for parts on the car!

r3cc0s
01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
ducati desmosedici

world's only road going MotoGP bike

katana9x4
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
anyone gone yet?

01-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
ducati desmosedici

Is there sopossed to be one there? I was there setting up last night and didnt see it. Would love to see that bike in person!!

Kobe
01-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Pretty decent show, the GSXR600 is the best bike this year

GTxAXSMYuSw

Palmiros
01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Going this afternoon :goflames:

Neons4life
01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
If you are in the market for a bike you will never beat some of the deals going on down there

2007 R6 - $7800 out the door
2007 R1 - $10,100 out the door

These deals were through bowcycle

Kobe
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
07 R6 for 7,800 is a SICK DEAL...
They had the 636 for 9,000 out the door last year and it was an amazing deal

MrSector9
01-05-2008, 05:39 PM
bow has some insane deals for the show.. VTX1800's for $9,999... almost half price..

i love the new r6 color scheme.

Graham_A_M
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
ducati desmosedici

Not even by a long shot buddy!!:nut:

MotoGp bikes are 800cc not 1000cc like the Desmo, their also 260BHP not 200.

As amazing as it would be to own an ACTUAL MotoGp bike, I honestly dont think a single person (except for a *very* small few) can afford the stratospheric maintenence, as the engines are (on average) rebuilt every third or forth racing weekend, which for us would be perhaps once every 3-4 weeks of fairly aggressive riding... and thats not even including the slipper clutches that wear out quite frequently under that insane amounts of HP & torque. Some of those engines turn past 20k RPM, so parts wear out extremely fast in certain cases, since MotoGP dis-allows Titanium to be used anywhere on the bike asides from the exhaust. (Instead they use a not-so decent material called MMC for Metal Matrix Composite)
Almost all MotoGP bikes are starting to use the F1 derived pneumatic valves, which are GREAT and all for 17k+ Rpms (as modern valve springs have a ceiling of 17-17.5k), but the pneumatic valves are very impractical unless your planning on short trips and dont mind ridiculous maintenence schedles. As they use compressed air to operate them. Since an on-board air compressor would add way too much wieght and sap too much HP. You also then have valve leakage issues which are oh-so-carefully monitored by the computer: so rather then have the valves fail due to too little PSI, the ECU system shuts off the bike.
Unfortunately, on these balls to the walls GP bikes, this has happened on certain occasions thus with non-finishes

The parts used on that Calibre of engine would be atrociously expensive, Lord knows how much exactly, as obviously their not publically released figures. Thats why its a very watered down version of what Ducati Desmo GP bike really is.
To my understanding an actual GP engine (being the REAL deal) is upwards of $80-100k. I believe thats how much Honda wanted for their 990cc RC211V 5cyl engine when sold to customers such as the KR (Kenny Roberts) racing team amoung many other smaller MotoGP entries that also wanted that FANTASTIC engine.

Its just not possible at ALL to have a Road worthy MotoGP bike (being one that Stoner would ride) for the street and actual GP competing alike.
Great marketing concept, but it'll never happen. The forks alone used in MotoGP are worth $15k for the pair.
The front brake master cylinder is $4k.
The rear shock is worth $8k.
I really dont think $80k for the FULL deal is even remotely accurate.
I'd go on a limb and say a person can expect to pay $250k for an ACTUAL GP bike... given all the datalogging equipment and misc parts.... it adds up remarkibly quickly. :nut:

MotoGP technology is not shared except for given parimeters such as the engine firing order or crank shaft timing degrees. There are SO many little subtleties that are not shared.

For them to release a race-fit GP engine to the public would be giving away their extremely highly regarded and confidential technologies.... like I say.... it'll never happen to much of a degree any more then what the available $80k Desmo is today.

_raw
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I couldn't make it this time, though I wanted to. I've never been to a bike show before either.
Does anyone have pictures of the events or what they had there?

Palmiros
01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by _raw
I couldn't make it this time, though I wanted to. I've never been to a bike show before either.
Does anyone have pictures of the events or what they had there?

I have a few. I'll post them up as soon as I upload them.