PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new shocks and struts?

semidevil
12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a 2002 nissan altima. it has around 89k miles.

About 8 months ago when I went to a bodyshop to replace the brakes, the technician told me that I needed to replace my struts and shocks(He said something was leaking).

About 2 months ago when I went somewhere else to replace my tires, another technician also told me the same thing.

I do not know much about cars, so I asked the first guy if this causes any sort of danger for me, and he said no. he said that the car will bounce a bit more, but it is not a safety issue.

The second guy also told me the same thing. He said this is not a safety issue. the car will bounce more, will not stick to the ground, and might put more pressue on the tire(faster wear and tear).

So since these 2 guys told me that it is not a safety issue, would it be okay for me to not replace them yet? Is it *really* not a safety issue whatsoever? Do I have anything to worry about?

This is just a regular car that I use to drive to and from work, and I dont really suspect much bouncing happening while I drive.

Is it safe to not replace them yet? My car wont break down will it?

also, the comment about more wear and tear on the tire; does it dramatically decrease the life of a tire??

thanks.

sr20s14zenki
12-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Your car wont break down, but youll notice the weak struts will compress more than the ones that arent leaking, which will make the car feel funny at times, and ultimately if you let them get too bad, it can drastically effect how your car handles over bumps.

For a good factory replacement, i would reccomend picking up Monroe Sensatracs. Call Autovalue for pricing on those, the full set of 4 should cost you less than 400$

Pm me if you want installation.

PS: heres an ebay link, these are good as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-Shocks-GR2-Struts-2002-2004-Nissan-Altima-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ007QQitemZ170178339201QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

gofastmerc
12-22-2007, 09:52 PM
With nothing controlling the wheels motion, it can potentially be hazardous over bumps. If the tires are not touching the ground, it's hard to steer and stop.

It also very hard on tires. You will burn through them a lot faster.

integra_xsi
12-22-2007, 09:57 PM
The one way you can tell if you need struts, when you push down on your bumpers and release it should just come up and stop. if your struts and shocks are bad. It will bounce up and down. One thing you want be careful doing is going too fast
specially on deerfoot. sometime it will feel your wheels want to go one way and the car goes another way. If youre not care ful you may lose control.

Supa Dexta
12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Guy's: Location: OKLAHOMA

It's been 8 months already, why not just get them fixed? It makes for a shit ride, and makes it harder on the car over all.. Stock replacements aren't that pricey, take care of your stuff, especially since it really isn't that old..

sr20s14zenki
12-22-2007, 11:22 PM
^^^LOL didnt notice the area, i just always assume ppl on beyond are from calgary...i know there are members from other areas of the world tho, *DUH!!*

rc2002
12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I doubt all 4 of your struts are leaking. Just fix the one that needs fixing. From experience, I've found that when I have one bad strut (usually a rear one) the other one goes pretty soon too. Then the ride quality becomes unbearable.

If your car is bouncing all over the place and you drive hard, it could be really dangerous - especially if there are bumps on corners.