PDA

View Full Version : The Olive Garden - Free meal?

Zero102
12-23-2007, 06:14 AM
I am a litle bit suspicious about something that happened at the Olive Garden last night. My wife and I are in Calgary to visit her parents for christmas and we took them to the olive garden last night. I'll spare the details but basically they no longer have rasberry lemonade (calgary only, everywhere else has it), they had run out of just about every kind of food we liked and could think to order, and the kitchen was extremely slow.

The thing is, our waiter was absolutely excellent the whole time, he was super nice about everything and was fun to deal with, so even though basically everything had gone wrong it wasn't a bad trip, we were perfectly happy at the end. Heck, he even dealt with my mother-in-law emptying 4 different cheese shredders and demanding to keep another one at the table unless she wanted more.

Now here's the weird part,
At the end when he was supposed to bring us the bill, he informed us that since our experience had been so terrible he has already talked to the manager and they're waiving the bill for this trip....
We had 5 people with drinks and everything, it was likely around a $160 bill and they just waive it without the manager even coming over? That's a pretty big bill to just let go.

I agree in normal circumstances I think people would have been really pissed about the service but we weren't mad at all. We tipped him very generously and left for the night feeling rather lucky at the time, but I was thinking about this a little bit later on and I am wondering...
Could he had just come over and said that to get a very large tip, then later on write it up as us running out on the bill? Would that somehow come back to haunt us returning to there later? (We plan to go again before we leave for Vernon)
Am I just being stupidly paranoid and should stop worrying about this stuff?

urban.one
12-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I think youre being paranoid.

HHURICANE1
12-23-2007, 10:31 AM
You are being very paranoid. I've been comped at lots of restaurants for poor service (the joys of being a single male). It is standard practice to make sure you come back even after a poor experience. Any good establishment will do this.

Amysicle
12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
To give your mind a rest, you can always call the Olive Garden today and ask to speak to the manager from last night and thank them for how they handled the situation and compliment your waiter. If they go, "Free meal? What free meal?!" you'll have your answer.

BrknFngrs
12-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't even worry about it all, I use to comp tables all the time if things like that happened when I was serving. I found that if you comped tables and you provided good service you often got a great tip too.

sr20s14zenki
12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Ya, i wouldnt worry about it. I had my bill chopped in half at Aussie Rules, because the dinner was REALLY late getting to us. That was nice...

JRSC00LUDE
12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
haha! Even the olive garden staff know that slop isn't worth paying for! I love it! :rofl:

Pacman
12-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Is this an owning?

The Cosworth
12-23-2007, 11:01 AM
pm'd

don't worry no one is going to come after you ;)

BerserkerCatSplat
12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
haha! Even the olive garden staff know that slop isn't worth paying for! I love it! :rofl:

:werd: I can't stand Olive Garden. The food absolutely sucks.

asuth077
12-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Anybody who watches the show Weeds,

"I wouldn't take a shit in an Olive Garden"

Douche
12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
If somebody runs out on the bill, the server has to pay for it. At least that is everywhere I know.

tom_9109
12-23-2007, 02:48 PM
You're a criminal, turn yourself in.

A790
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Douche
If somebody runs out on the bill, the server has to pay for it. At least that is everywhere I know.
I'd never go for that. Most restaurants budget a certain amount for dine and dashing.

Ed the SOHC
12-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I've had the same experience at the Olive Garden and they took care of the bill for us too so I think it's normal for them to do this. Pasta costs pennies anyways...

JAYMEZ
12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
I dont see why you would worry about this? A free meal is a free meal. Joeys and Earls do this sometimes. Calling the resturant is overboard.

szw
12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, it would be nice to call and thank them anyways. The waiter may get rewarded or at least may get more acknowledgement for good service from the manager.

Mazstyle
12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I used to work at Red Lobster (till I got upper-cutted) anyways, They are owned by the same company Darden restaurants inc. I don't think this guy would have done what you said because it's standard practice, that if a table walks out on you, you get written up. Basically it goes on your file and if it happens too many times (2 or 3 times is the limit) then they can fire you....

If this guy really wanted to make a buck, he would do this on a table that pays cash and pocket it.... think about it, what'd you guys tip him $40? Or he could wait for a cash table with a $200 tab + tip then claim he had a " dine and dash"....

blinkme_210
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
I've been comped quite a few times before as well. Most recently was at Joey's. My colleague & I ordered Turf (steak), but was brought out Surf (salmon). The waitress had entered the order correctly, but it was the kitchen that screwed up, and within 5 minutes our correct orders were brought out. At the end of it all, the waitress comped our entire meal with appies & drinks, which I didn't felt she needed to do, because she was always chatting it up with us, and the meals came faster than usual. And of course we left her a large tip before we left.

max_boost
12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
I've been comped quite a few times before as well. Most recently was at Joey's. My colleague & I ordered Turf (steak), but was brought out Surf (salmon). The waitress had entered the order correctly, but it was the kitchen that screwed up, and within 5 minutes our correct orders were brought out. At the end of it all, the waitress comped our entire meal with appies & drinks, which I didn't felt she needed to do, because she was always chatting it up with us, and the meals came faster than usual. And of course we left her a large tip before we left.

Restaurants screw up on orders all the time but do they comp. the bills that often on mistakes like this? Free drinks or desserts would suffice IMO.

I wouldn't have taken the free bill but that's just me. They screwed up, apologized and brought out the correct order within 5 minutes. They handled it perfectly. All while a hot chick is chatting you up.

A large tip? How large? I would have left her a tip that would cover the entire bill at least.

Isaiah
12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

A large tip? How large? I would have left her a tip that would cover the entire bill at least.

I agree. I've thought about starting a tipping thread before for this very reason. I work in the industry and I can't believe the tipping habits of some people. If you're a 10% tipper, go to a 10% restaurant.

How much of a difference will an extra $3-$5 make to you on a $50 meal, or an extra $5-$10 on $100? You can be sure that it will make a huge difference to your server. I'm not suggesting you leave a baller tip for shitty service, but I certainly think that 15% should be the standard, not the exception. I can't count the times I've had customers come in just looking for an excuse to leave a bad tip. These people make me sick because they would rather have a bad experience in order to save $5 than have a perfect meal and have to leave a decent tip.

As a standard, I tip 15-20% and it will go up from there depending on how great the service was beyond the standard expectations. Table maintenance, relationships, eye contact, and service checks each push it up a little and I consider it money well spent if I'm compensating someone for a job well done.

Maybe it's because I'm industry and I understand the other side of the equation. Personally, I'm a full time student (~30 hours/week), I work full time (~35 hours/week) and I study and complete school work between 20-30 hours/week; so after my 100 hour week, I am extremely thankful to people who come in and leave a generous gratuity as I think I've earned it.

Finally, if you leave a bad tip for bad food or any other reason beyond the server's control, you're an idiot. Talk to a manager, write an email, or call head office but don't punish the server/bartender for something that isn't their fault. And for those verbal tippers out there that give a great compliment on the way out and think that compensates for the 10% on the table, it doesn't. Your verbal tip can't be used to pay for my tuition or books.

Thank you that is all.

EDIT: as for max_boost's original comment, he's absolutely right. If your bill was comped for being 5 minutes late, you can bet your ass that it was the waitress who got it done for you. A good tip in that instance would have been AT LEAST the price of the meal because that's what she saved you. Anything less would be uncivilized.

max_boost
12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
^^^
:eek:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/120084/todays-lesson-tipping/

Rat Fink
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM

The Cosworth
12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Isaiah although I hear what you are saying... tipping is not required. If it was then gratuity would already be included in the bill which I have gotten a few times (mostly on work trips to Vancouver)

I have friends who work in the industry too and I believe tipping should be reflected on the servers performance (which I know it isn't)

But I would NEVER start with a base tip, I have had a few servers that I have left ZERO for... Delta Bow Valley Lodge in Kananaski's: we were put behind a pillar that faced the machine that the orders get punched into, I had one beer in two hours (although I wanted more) and it took an hour for our COLD food to come out. We got the bill and nothing was comped, we complained to the front desk and got free breakfast.

All in all it was a GREAT anniversary :rolleyes:

Nice hotel though

Isaiah
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
Delta Bow Valley Lodge in Kananaski's: we were put behind a pillar that faced the machine that the orders get punched into, I had one beer in two hours (although I wanted more) and it took an hour for our COLD food to come out. We got the bill and nothing was comped, we complained to the front desk and got free breakfast.

All in all it was a GREAT anniversary :rolleyes:

Nice hotel though

Keep in mind that it probably wasn't the server who sat you behind the pillar, and it probably wasn't the server's fault that the food was cold. Personally, after sitting with an empty beer for about 10 minutes, I would have gotten up and asked the server myself but that's just me.

max_boost
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

EDIT: as for max_boost's original comment, he's absolutely right. If your bill was comped for being 5 minutes late, you can bet your ass that it was the waitress who got it done for you. A good tip in that instance would have been AT LEAST the price of the meal because that's what she saved you. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Unless that was her evil plan, knowing she can get a larger tip by having their meals covered than by them paying their bill haha :nut: :dunno:

DJturbo
12-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I know the chinese girl who owns it. (If it was the Malbrough Location)
There just really nice people man :) .

Rat Fink
12-24-2007, 01:46 PM

The Cosworth
12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
When that's shitty, then they obviously don't care to get a good tip either and I have no problems adjusting that accordingly. Good service = good tip, great service = great tip.....lousy service = lousy tip. That's still civilized IMO.

Who gives a fuck how many hours a week you work while going to school. Everyone does that. I had the same schedule you did and I didn't work in an industry that handed out tips. you still get an hourly wage to boot so suck it up and be the best damn server you can be if you want more cash. That's all there is to it.

exactly ;)

Keep in mind that it probably wasn't the server who sat you behind the pillar, and it probably wasn't the server's fault that the food was cold. Personally, after sitting with an empty beer for about 10 minutes, I would have gotten up and asked the server myself but that's just me.

We did, she was a total bitch, and we asked to move tables because we had a reservation, and again that was turned down. We looked quite young when we were there (that might have helped/hurt) but I was working for Schlumberger at the time so I didn't mind dropping a good chunk of change for the weekend. Overall I was not impressed for a HIGH end hotel, that just held the G8 a couple months before.

We ended up eating in the Bar for the rest of the trip.

I see what you are saying though, but I come for dinner and a relaxing time, yes it sucks that you may be having a bad day or hate your job, but when I am paying $400.00 a night plus other crap I expect to be pampered to, not stessed out.

turbo4dr
12-24-2007, 01:55 PM
sweet deal for you dont worry about it :thumbsup:

98brg2d
12-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Don't forget that a lot of restaurants have tip-out so you are tipping for the food AND the service. The whole experience should be what the tip is based on.

01RedDX
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM

natejj
12-24-2007, 04:29 PM
This was a mistake. But don't worry, I'll take care of it for you. Just paypal me the money for the bill, and you won't have to worry about anything.

dino_martini
12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
I think youre being paranoid.

:werd:

This happens at resturants all the time. If the meal was shit, you were willing to pay for it? Why? Atleast the service was good, Olive Garden is terrible IMO

Zero102
12-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
So the guy gives you excellent service, takes care of you and your family and gives you a free meal, and you accuse him of being some kind of criminal scammer?! Wow, some nice people in this world... :rolleyes:

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I was just suspicious, I've had some seriously bad experiences at the olive garden and never been comp'd anything even when our orders were absolutely screwed up and we asked for it, I was just really shocked when they did this since it was completely out of the blue. IMO tips are not mandantory in any way. I've tipped 0 many times in my life and sometimes if I'm really mad I'll leave 2 pennies. This guy got tipped very well, I have showed my appreciation to him, so 01reddx, stuff it. I even said that the server was nice and kind enough that after the whole experience we were still perfectly happy.

sexualbanana
12-26-2007, 02:23 AM

But it's her job to keep her customers happy:
a) she should be checking on their drinks on a pretty regular basis, half a beer per hour (even I can't nurse a single beer for that long) is a long time
b) if, after an hour, your customers food hasn't arrived, you should look into it

The fact that he had to wait so long for his food is unacceptable for the kitchen.
The fact that it took him so long to get a drink, is unacceptable for the server.
The fact that both took so long, and was unnoticed, is unacceptable for the server.

mwmhong
12-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
So the guy gives you excellent service, takes care of you and your family and gives you a free meal, and you accuse him of being some kind of criminal scammer?! Wow, some nice people in this world... :rolleyes:

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

There is a very STRONG incentive for the server to get a decent gratuity. If the menu availability sucks and the cooking is slow (most likely due to staffing shortage), then how likely is the server going to get a decent tip?

Not all customers are understanding of the issues that go on in a restaurant and may not tip the server well, despite things beyond the servers control.

So if you are the server, then why not take a shot at getting something out of this bad situation? From a strictly financial perspective, it's not the servers money paying for the comp'd meal, it is the restaurants. Zero cost to the server for a higher likelyhood of a good tip.

I am not accusing the server of doing anything wrong, the server could have had the best intentions in mind.
I'm just trying to balance the argument a bit.

Keep an open mind. :)

A790
12-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

But it's her job to keep her customers happy:
a) she should be checking on their drinks on a pretty regular basis, half a beer per hour (even I can't nurse a single beer for that long) is a long time
b) if, after an hour, your customers food hasn't arrived, you should look into it

The fact that he had to wait so long for his food is unacceptable for the kitchen.
The fact that it took him so long to get a drink, is unacceptable for the server.
The fact that both took so long, and was unnoticed, is unacceptable for the server.
Your logic is flawed. I can't even count how many times food would come out late, and it doesn't matter how many times you "look into it"... you have to wait for the kitchen to send it out. That was the most frustrating part of being a server, and a reason why I'll never EVER do it again.

The drink thing I completely agree with.