PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosising 1997 Ford Probe GT problem.

A790
12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey everyone;

As I was getting into my car and starting to drive I noticed a loud "thunk" and scraping noises. I got out and checked the vehicles for any obvious signs of damage (flat tire, impact, something under the car, etc.) and noticed nothing. However, now that it is parked I can clearly see that it is drooping on the front-right side of the vehicle.

When I drive the vehicle for short periods of time it beings to smoke (that tire/brake smell)... at first I believed that the brake caliper was siezed, but I lack sufficient knowlege or skill to confirm that.

What the hell is going on? Since its Christmas no mechanic shops are open, and I kind of need it for a 250 km drive...

Symptoms:

+ "Clunking" and "scraping" when in motion (even at slow speeds).
+ Smoke from front-right wheel well when in motion.
+ Tire/brake smell accompanying smoke.

Notes:

+ Brakes seem to work fine.
+ Car is drooping on front-right corner.

Anyone shed some light here?

THE GOVERNATOR
12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
hmmmm....sounds like your car is rubing but thats a rare case

SR240SX
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Probably blown shock/strut and your tire is rubbing on the fender when your rolling..maybe try and get a friend to drive the car really slow while your standing outside the car and check to see if you notice the smoke coming from the tire..should be pretty obvious. Hope that helps!

dooman24
12-23-2007, 06:30 PM
does the scraping sound matches the vehicle speed or hte engine speed?

mark4091
12-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm betting its the shocks causing the tire to rub, or like you said with the brakes.

pics maybe?

ianmcc
12-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Broken spring.

A790
12-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Broken spring.
That's what it wound up being. Took it apart today with my mechanic friend and saw that the spring was rubbing the inside of the tire.