PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Bike

90TurboLude
07-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Hey there, I got the Opportunity to buy a 1992 Suzuki GSX(r?) 750 for 3600 bux.. it has 46k KMS on it and a yoshimura pipe. Just wondering if this is a good or bad deal? also any comments on this yr/Model of bike in general?

thanks

-Mr.Lude

YCB
07-21-2003, 06:32 PM
im lookin for a bike too.. and thats not a good deal i think, my friend got a cBr 600 f4 with 4.5k on it.. for 6500.. ur bike has 10x the kilometers.. :thumbsdown:

Kaos
07-21-2003, 06:55 PM
its almost 12 yrs old! thats not a kller deal at all....

its probably worth at least a g note at the most. The frame is probably steel too, not aluminum. I would suggest you get a newer bike lets say around 1997 up, you can find a better bike

thats my 2 cents.

method
07-21-2003, 06:57 PM
1000 bucks?

the only bikes I ever see going for that kind of money are the super old duals and shit.

YCB
07-21-2003, 07:00 PM
this bike is super old too, i was lookin in canadatrader.com they had a 92 GSXR, and the picture was black and white..

:rofl: :rofl:

ramminghard
07-21-2003, 07:27 PM
it could very well be worth that much. Depends on condition, dropped or not, maintenance.

K271
07-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Negotiate it down to 3 g's and no more.

ramminghard
07-22-2003, 01:08 AM
Some of you should get a clue as to what you are giving advice about. That bike, even with being dropped is worth well more than $1000. It's not helping by giving false information because someone is going to take it, use it and look like an idiot. and if it is a gsxr then the frame will be aluminum but if it is a gsxf then it is steel. Oh and with the cbr f4 its not even a decent comparison, km's don't make i bike go slow and even my bike will bend over 600's and was less than half what the cbr cost.

bikrbabe
07-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey, actually, that's an excellent deal! The 1992 gixxer is a sweetass bike with lots of power (for it's era). It was one of the top superbikes of the time. They are good handling (but heavier machines weighing in at 463 lbs).
normally those bikeswould sell for $4,400 or more if they were clean.
What kind of condition is it in? Has it been dropped? is there any ticking noises?

I worked in the bike industry (selling bikes at a dealership) for about 2 years and have been involved in the motorsport scene since i was little, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask...
and ramminghard *high five* right on! so gotta agree with ya!

BlaCkPlaGUE
07-25-2003, 01:41 AM
My bike has 65000KM's on it. Thats proof that a high KM bike is not a shitty deal. Got it for 1500$ and IM hella happy with it. Runs perfect, has been maintained, thats the biggest thing. Without maintenance on 40+ thousand clicks the bike will be shit.
I think its an awesome deal personally, and would go for it.

Dave P
07-25-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
Some of you should get a clue as to what you are giving advice about. That bike, even with being dropped is worth well more than $1000. It's not helping by giving false information because someone is going to take it, use it and look like an idiot. and if it is a gsxr then the frame will be aluminum but if it is a gsxf then it is steel. Oh and with the cbr f4 its not even a decent comparison, km's don't make i bike go slow and even my bike will bend over 600's and was less than half what the cbr cost.

Well said man, i was thinking it myself

Originally posted by bikrbabe
Hey, actually, that's an excellent deal! The 1992 gixxer is a sweetass bike with lots of power (for it's era). It was one of the top superbikes of the time. They are good handling (but heavier machines weighing in at 463 lbs).
normally those bikeswould sell for $4,400 or more if they were clean.
What kind of condition is it in? Has it been dropped? is there any ticking noises?

I worked in the bike industry (selling bikes at a dealership) for about 2 years and have been involved in the motorsport scene since i was little, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask...
and ramminghard *high five* right on! so gotta agree with ya!

I love you haha.

dogstar
07-25-2003, 03:47 AM
well, depending on the condition, thats an excellent price, especially considering the season...

buy a bike in winter, just so long as theirs enough dry pavement to take it out a lil at least, and get a mechanic to check it, dedicated bike mechanics never have much to do in the winter.

usually get a muuuuch better deal, but if you want a bike now, what are ya gonna do :)

RiCE-DaDDy
07-25-2003, 08:20 AM
yea thats a acutally a good deal.

90TurboLude
07-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Okay, so what i have gathered is that it is a pretty good deal, now can you tell me your guys (and gals ;) BikrBabe) opinions on the 92 Gsxr itself? this is all muchly appreciated btw (you biker people seem alot more helpfull than those elitists in the Car areas..)

_mR.LuDE_

RiCE-DaDDy
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
As a first bike its bad. First its very powerful and its heavy and it has sportbike handling twitchiness and steep unforgiving geometry. Awesome bike...for a expert. Dry weight on that model is 458lbs so around 525lbs wet, HEAVY. For a newb weight is like coffee, its stunts your growth.

Personally, when i was looking for a bike, I tried on a few 750's, Back then they were bigger and heavier (than the ones now) and I didn't feel that comfortable on them.

As for general condition: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Search other bike forums for specific model probs.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/GSX-R/GSX-R750/1992_GSX-R750_whblue_450.jpg

bikrbabe
07-25-2003, 11:07 AM
I guess it all depends on whether or not you've ridden dirtbikes before as well... That sometimes makes a hell-o-va difference when it comes to starting out on street.

People have told me one season of riding dirtbikes is equivalent to three seasons of riding streetbikes & i believe 'em cause dirt riding is no piece of cake... it teaches you better balance and emergency maneuvers, etc (like avoiding logs...lol...ran into a couple of those when I first started dirtbiking myself).

Also if you take a bike course that would help a lot. Too Cool Motorcycle School in Calgary is awesome... the guys there are so laid back, they have brand new bikes (except for an old honda rebel...). They teach you all sorts of useful skills. Here's a pic of my group (I took the course last april... that's me on the far left hand side). I had decided to take a course after riding a couple of seasons on my buddies bikes, and it was amazing the things that you learn (that you don't normally think about when you are self-taught)

http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/IMG_0153.jpg

anyways, my point is you might be able to handle the bike depending on how much past experience you have (with anything that is related to biking).. a 750cc is pushing the limits to a starter bike though... especially if you are a smaller guy. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but if you take baby steps, and don't push yourself or your bike beyond your skill level, you should be fine.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-25-2003, 01:33 PM
thing is older 750's are heavy beasts cause of the older tech.

ramminghard
07-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
thing is older 750's are heavy beasts cause of the older tech.

They are heavy but i still beat newer 600 supersports up to about 200.

That would be a good starter, just take it easy or you will learn the hard way like i did.

BUY SOME GEAR!