PDA

View Full Version : I just priced out an Audi S5 vs. BMW 335xi

Hollywood
12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
In the US sites cause Canadian pricing is biased.

The s5 fully loaded came in at 56k, I picked the same options on the BMW and it came to 55.5K. Now if I add the factory 19's to match the factory 19's that come with the s5 then the BMW came in at 60k. Both cars had Red leather, upgraded paint and upgraded interior trim. So price wise you could go with either one.

I would like to see a head to head test, as the s5 has more power and longer wheel base, and overall a bigger car. The new 3 series is actually quite a small car imo, and might gain a more nimble advantage.

I seen an s5 in person a few days ago. The pictures do not do it justice. It sounded like sex as it is louder than I expected, and looked like a cross between the mercedes CLS and the 335 and a smige of the R8. Basically a shruken CLS best decribes it.

I will say I do like the interior and the exterior of the s5 much more than the 335's. But have twin turbo is nice too.

So the s5 might be better to woh your dates as it is quite a bit sexier than the 335....But I would have to drive one to see if it woh's my ass dyno.

Feel free to share your opinions.

Tai-Lun
12-24-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/comparison_tests/The_Lion_the_Witch_and_the_Wardrobe_-Infiniti_G37_vs_BMW_335i_vs_Audi_S5.shtml

^A nice write up I came across, may help in your decision, personally I would go for the Audi myself.

slick2404
12-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Tai-Lun
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/comparison_tests/The_Lion_the_Witch_and_the_Wardrobe_-Infiniti_G37_vs_BMW_335i_vs_Audi_S5.shtml

^A nice write up I came across, may help in your decision, personally I would go for the Audi myself.

great read

three.eighteen.
12-24-2007, 10:32 PM
who needs a 4wd bmw?

Hollywood
12-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Tai-Lun

Thanks. Kinda of a vauge review, I prefer something more detailed. But the results are not surprising. Personally I think the the g37 hasnt earned its way into that competition. Mind you these days all 3 manufactors have reliability problems....these days.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
who needs a 4wd bmw?

Who buys an Audi without quattro???

civic_stylez
12-24-2007, 11:05 PM
i will admit that the audis beat any other vehicle in terms of interiors, but if you do plan to mod either of the 2 cars, the 335 has a ton of mods available already. The vishnu procede hooks up 60hp and 80tq and is priced well under 2000$. Both are great cars and im sure you'd be happy with either, although i wouldnt pay the bmw mark up on their factory 19's. Theres alot of great wheels out there for better pricing.

boxer23
12-24-2007, 11:42 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI

this might help a little bit
I personally would choose the S5 because of the exclusivity compared to the 335i in Calgary

Ichigo
12-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood
In the US sites cause Canadian pricing is biased.

The s5 fully loaded came in at 56k, I picked the same options on the BMW and it came to 55.5K. Now if I add the factory 19's to match the factory 19's that come with the s5 then the BMW came in at 60k. Both cars had Red leather, upgraded paint and upgraded interior trim. So price wise you could go with either one.

I would like to see a head to head test, as the s5 has more power and longer wheel base, and overall a bigger car. The new 3 series is actually quite a small car imo, and might gain a more nimble advantage.

I seen an s5 in person a few days ago. The pictures do not do it justice. It sounded like sex as it is louder than I expected, and looked like a cross between the mercedes CLS and the 335 and a smige of the R8. Basically a shruken CLS best decribes it.

I will say I do like the interior and the exterior of the s5 much more than the 335's. But have twin turbo is nice too.

So the s5 might be better to woh your dates as it is quite a bit sexier than the 335....But I would have to drive one to see if it woh's my ass dyno.

Feel free to share your opinions.

Canadian Pricing? The canada Audi Site ticks me off.. there's no pricing anywhere for anything other than the A series vehicles. I say dish out 10 more g's for a RS4 but you wont get your turbos. ^_^

Impreza
12-25-2007, 12:48 AM

I know someone who has an A4 without quattro... and I was like "WTF?", I didn't even know they made them without quattro haha. I have no idea why you would buy an audi without quattro, thats like a FWD BMW...

b_t
12-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
i will admit that the audis beat any other vehicle in terms of interiors, but if you do plan to mod either of the 2 cars, the 335 has a ton of mods available already. The vishnu procede hooks up 60hp and 80tq and is priced well under 2000$. Both are great cars and im sure you'd be happy with either, although i wouldnt pay the bmw mark up on their factory 19's. Theres alot of great wheels out there for better pricing.

modding cars is seriously overrated. Your car will still get spanked by the faster versions from the factory, and at the same time, has none of the same image appeal or resale value. These cars are also, already, ridiculously fast, and how often do you really stretch your car's legs? Not worth it for the voided warranty, install cost, and the price of the parts.

All a car needs is a nice change of rims - thats it. Don't fuck with the rest. Modding absolutely doesn't figure into the purchase of a daily driver for me (and everyone who is not a 18 year old car enthusiast) - a weekender car like a Corvette, sure, but an Audi or a BMW that does double duty as my transportation to and from work, absolutely not.

three.eighteen.
12-25-2007, 02:45 AM

i just mean that's probably the only thing keeping the bmw up there in price, the xi part

if price is a part of the decision, then a 2wd could be considered as a cheaper and just as fun (if not more) alternative?

i dont know exactly what options you got, but the i vs xi is 1,900 cheaper base vs base

civic_stylez
12-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by b_t

modding cars is seriously overrated. Your car will still get spanked by the faster versions from the factory, and at the same time, has none of the same image appeal or resale value. These cars are also, already, ridiculously fast, and how often do you really stretch your car's legs? Not worth it for the voided warranty, install cost, and the price of the parts.

All a car needs is a nice change of rims - thats it. Don't fuck with the rest. Modding absolutely doesn't figure into the purchase of a daily driver for me (and everyone who is not a 18 year old car enthusiast) - a weekender car like a Corvette, sure, but an Audi or a BMW that does double duty as my transportation to and from work, absolutely not.

As much as i agree with you that these cars are ridiculously fast to begin with, you would be surprised at the amount of people that come in to my work and do buy these products. Alot of people that own these cars get bored of factory performance very quickly. Im not sure what you mean by faster versions from the factory as most of the cars we see are the top of the line models that people still want to make faster. In average everyday driving, the PROcede computer actually enhances fuel economy as well.

ZorroAMG
12-25-2007, 09:03 PM
he means the S5 will get walked by the RS5 even if modded by the average tuner/average mods

Xtrema
12-26-2007, 01:45 AM
I think a fully loaded 335xi is around $60K+ cdn. I just can't see it being the same as US.

But I would say S5 is 1/2 a class higher than 335xi and 1/2 a class below the 6. I would very doubt it you'll get if for less than $70K cdn here. So you're still paying about $10K more for the S5.

Styling is something I'll have to see in person. There's something about the S5 doesn't sit well with me in photos.

Performance wise, as the 5th gear video shows, 335 can hang with the S5. Even with addition of x-drive, the engine is still lighter than the V8. So 335 should be a more fun car to drive.

Hollywood
12-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

I am aware of the vishnu mods, I almost bought a 335i when they first came out. And its obvious people would opt out and buy their own wheels but I was comparing factory to factory if you re-read what I posted. There were rumors of the BMW computer tracking over stock boosts and they would use that data to void your warrenty, not sure if that eneded up to be true. But since the 335i's are known to overheat at times Im sure bmw would be looking at scapegoats when the engine blows.

Originally posted by b_t

Nothing wrong with modding. You just dont live your life a quater mile at a time like we do....ahahaha. I like having extra jam when I want it.

Originally posted by Xtrema
I think a fully loaded 335xi is around $60K+ cdn. I just can't see it being the same as US.

But I would say S5 is 1/2 a class higher than 335xi and 1/2 a class below the 6. I would very doubt it you'll get if for less than $70K cdn here. So you're still paying about $10K more for the S5.

Styling is something I'll have to see in person. There's something about the S5 doesn't sit well with me in photos.

Performance wise, as the 5th gear video shows, 335 can hang with the S5. Even with addition of x-drive, the engine is still lighter than the V8. So 335 should be a more fun car to drive.

Honestly when you see one in real life with its engine growling at you (sounds like a real sporty v8, europe stlylz not domestic) and the LED day times in the headlight housing (which looks better than the BMW angel eyes IMO) and its CLS compact looks you will become a believer like myself.

JordanLotoski
12-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I paid 1500.00 to upgrade to the 19s on my 335i

benyl
12-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

A fully loaded 335i is $65K before taxes. Xi is more.

The S5 will be closer to $75 K as the outgoing S4 is over $70K and Audi has stupid pricing.

The S5 is not a class higher. I am pretty sure that Audi said that it competes with the 335.

That being said, I like the TTs better than the NA v8. Especially at our altitude. The 335 is a MAP based car and should make close to 300hp here as it does at sea level. The NA v8 has no chance. Add a chip and the S5 becomes and A5.

Hollywood
12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by benyl

A fully loaded 335i is $65K before taxes. Xi is more.

The S5 will be closer to $75 K as the outgoing S4 is over $70K and Audi has stupid pricing.

The S5 is not a class higher. I am pretty sure that Audi said that it competes with the 335.

That being said, I like the TTs better than the NA v8. Especially at our altitude. The 335 is a MAP based car and should make close to 300hp here as it does at sea level. The NA v8 has no chance. Add a chip and the S5 becomes and A5.

I disagree with everything.

No one buys new in canada anymore if it can be helped. I used american pricing because I will go down to the us and pick the the same car for your elegid 75k for 55k plus fees. Im not sure what the drivetrain loss is ont he 335i vs 335xi, but I would assume the 335xi will still be faster than the s5. That being said the s5 was not out to destroy the competion speed wise, just create an all around good car, and I think they have done it. The s5 is a tad higher class than the 335, it sacrifices some of that speed for a more sport/lux grand touring role.

I think you are also going a little overboard on the whole altitude thing.

benyl
12-27-2007, 12:32 PM

I disagree with everything.

No one buys new in canada anymore if it can be helped. I used american pricing because I will go down to the us and pick the the same car for your elegid 75k for 55k plus fees. Im not sure what the drivetrain loss is ont he 335i vs 335xi, but I would assume the 335xi will still be faster than the s5. That being said the s5 was not out to destroy the competion speed wise, just create an all around good car, and I think they have done it. The s5 is a tad higher class than the 335, it sacrifices some of that speed for a more sport/lux grand touring role.

I think you are also going a little overboard on the whole altitude thing.

Haha, it is pretty clear which car you are going to buy.

Drive train loss on the 335 has been estimated at 12-13%. As you may be aware, it is also underated and most people figure that it has somewhere in the neighborhood of 320hp at the crank.

That being said, I was talking Canadian prices. Not everyone has $55K burning a hole in their pocket and will likely lease or finance here.

Yes, I went a little overboard on the altitude thing, but I can tell you there is a huge difference between the way my M3 feels at lower altitude and how it feels here. Very anemic.

Personally, I am sticking with Turbo cars.

max_boost
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Does the S5 offer attractive lease programs?

BMW is offering 3 year lease rates under 5% and 4 years N/C maintenance. That's enough incentive for me to go BMW.

Personally, I am sticking with Turbo cars.

Absolutely. Turbo FTW!

me&you
01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Does the S5 offer attractive lease programs?

BMW is offering 3 year lease rates under 5% and 4 years N/C maintenance. That's enough incentive for me to go BMW.

Plus you get to give it back when you are inevitably upside-down at the end of the term!

syeve
01-02-2008, 03:44 PM
^^yay for renting cars! J/k

I could have got an M3, I wanted something different...once I drove a V8 AWD I never looked back - no need for a turbo yo.

ZorroAMG
01-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Benyl, I don't like your altitude!

:D

benyl
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
me neither. But I am still eating rear winter tires for breakfast.

Hollywood, when you get your S5 and break it in, we should trade cars and compare. haha. I should have downpipes and a chip by then. hehehehe

Voodoo Child
01-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I'll add what I know....

I currently have the 335i fully loaded at it was $66K all in (Sports Package, Premium Package, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Ipod, 3M, Tint)
It's a hell of a car. Very fast (used to own a Stage II Sti) handles
fantastic and extremely comfortable to drive.
I put on Blizzak LM-25's for the winter and I couldn't be happier.

That being said I would take the interior of the S5 any day. I do not have the iDrive so I find my interior simple but well laid out.

I went to Audi last week and bought an S5 and the total cost in Canadian dollars was $77K all in and that's with the Nav Package
and parking assist. The wait list though is long and I was quoted June for my car. BMW if you order takes around 2-3 months.

They had an S5 on the lot to sit in but you couldn't drive it as some idiot went in to a curb at 120 kmph.

The S5 has more standard features than the 335 and it has additional features the 335i doesn't have.

From what I've read, and the sales dude told me, the S5 is a heavier and bigger car but performs very well for its size.
It has worse fuel mileage though but I never consider this in a car as my Sti was only getting 9mpg after mods HaHa!

The Recaro seats are unreal (and I love the 335i seats) and the interior layout is awesome. Back seat is decent as is the 335i. I have no problem putting 4 adults in the 335 for a short trip to Banff.

With Dinan's new chip that gives you 385 hp and 415 trq at the crank that is covered under warranty your price would be $68K and your performance would be greater than the S5 imho.

Rob at Tunerworks has the Proceed chip that is almost identical and he sais the car should have come that way to begin with.

As for looks they are both great. I had the M lip put on my coupe and I think it looks unreal compared to stock. The factory 18's I have a very nice looking and the 19" upgrade is simply not worth it as mentioned earlier. For that price go see Rob and get a set of BBS or something else high end.

As for bringing them back from the US Hollywood, Audi is very easy right now and BMW is the exact opposite. Sure it can be done but the cost will be much more than the Audi and it will take much longer. Plus once you get to the dealership they are so nice about booking you in for service or repair...haha...that's a huge joke. Expect 6-8 weeks AFTER a Canadian buyer...no joke.

Anyway when it comes down to it I think it's going to be personal preference. The 335i is again on C&D's top 10 list for the 15th or so straight year. BMW is known for its handling and it shows in the 335i.
The Audi is going to be awesome as well but a different beast.
If you like interior quality, the S5 is your car. If you like all the options and bells and whistles, S5 is your car. If you are buying from the US, Audi is your car. As for handling I cant' say as I haven't been able to drive both. I expect them to be quite different.

Hope this helps.
VC

Hollywood
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
me neither. But I am still eating rear winter tires for breakfast.

Hollywood, when you get your S5 and break it in, we should trade cars and compare. haha. I should have downpipes and a chip by then. hehehehe

I did fall in love with the RL looks of the S5 which made me post this originally. If I didnt need a truck for dirtbiking I would be looking at both cars for sure. For me its one of those ideas in the back of my head. Kinda like when I wanted a GS430, and when I wanted a white 99 VR-4 (1 of 87). The stick around and later materialize....hahaha. Plus I hate buying new, I would be looking at these cars used, like 0.1 - 2 years old. I refuse to buy new.

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
I'll add what I know....

I currently have the 335i fully loaded at it was $66K all in (Sports Package, Premium Package, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Ipod, 3M, Tint)
It's a hell of a car. Very fast (used to own a Stage II Sti) handles
fantastic and extremely comfortable to drive.
I put on Blizzak LM-25's for the winter and I couldn't be happier.

That being said I would take the interior of the S5 any day. I do not have the iDrive so I find my interior simple but well laid out.

I went to Audi last week and bought an S5 and the total cost in Canadian dollars was $77K all in and that's with the Nav Package
and parking assist. The wait list though is long and I was quoted June for my car. BMW if you order takes around 2-3 months.

They had an S5 on the lot to sit in but you couldn't drive it as some idiot went in to a curb at 120 kmph.

The S5 has more standard features than the 335 and it has additional features the 335i doesn't have.

From what I've read, and the sales dude told me, the S5 is a heavier and bigger car but performs very well for its size.
It has worse fuel mileage though but I never consider this in a car as my Sti was only getting 9mpg after mods HaHa!

The Recaro seats are unreal (and I love the 335i seats) and the interior layout is awesome. Back seat is decent as is the 335i. I have no problem putting 4 adults in the 335 for a short trip to Banff.

With Dinan's new chip that gives you 385 hp and 415 trq at the crank that is covered under warranty your price would be $68K and your performance would be greater than the S5 imho.

Rob at Tunerworks has the Proceed chip that is almost identical and he sais the car should have come that way to begin with.

As for looks they are both great. I had the M lip put on my coupe and I think it looks unreal compared to stock. The factory 18's I have a very nice looking and the 19" upgrade is simply not worth it as mentioned earlier. For that price go see Rob and get a set of BBS or something else high end.

As for bringing them back from the US Hollywood, Audi is very easy right now and BMW is the exact opposite. Sure it can be done but the cost will be much more than the Audi and it will take much longer. Plus once you get to the dealership they are so nice about booking you in for service or repair...haha...that's a huge joke. Expect 6-8 weeks AFTER a Canadian buyer...no joke.

Anyway when it comes down to it I think it's going to be personal preference. The 335i is again on C&D's top 10 list for the 15th or so straight year. BMW is known for its handling and it shows in the 335i.
The Audi is going to be awesome as well but a different beast.
If you like interior quality, the S5 is your car. If you like all the options and bells and whistles, S5 is your car. If you are buying from the US, Audi is your car. As for handling I cant' say as I haven't been able to drive both. I expect them to be quite different.

Hope this helps.
VC

Very constructive. Good post man. Ya it's like I said, your boss and the ladies will definately appreciate the S5 over the 335. Plus turing cars are fun cars to drive. I still wanted to compare US to US as it is more accurate.

And your totally right, dealerships here totally hate the US importing and they are very upfront with their discontent.