PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driving a US registered vehicle?

Daft99
12-25-2007, 06:12 PM
If a Canadian were to purchase a vehicle in the states (lets say a '08 Lexus), and register it using a home they own in the states - would they be able to drive it into Canada and use it as a daily driver?

What problems would a person stumble upon in doing this?

Any legalities to be considered?

Problems if you are pulled over?

Thanks

civicluva
12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Daft99
If a Canadian were to purchase a vehicle in the states (lets say a '08 Lexus), and register it using a home they own in the states - would they be able to drive it into Canada and use it as a daily driver?

What problems would a person stumble upon in doing this?

Any legalities to be considered?

Problems if you are pulled over?

Thanks

You won't have any issues except for when it comes time to re-register it. Then you have to go back down to the states to get it done.

Canmorite
12-25-2007, 06:24 PM
If it's not on the RIV Admissable list (Not sure if it is or not) you can only drive it for 6 months in Canada. This is what someone I know ran into.

civicluva
12-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
If it's not on the RIV Admissable list (Not sure if it is or not) you can only drive it for 6 months in Canada. This is what someone I know ran into.

I don't understand how they would prove that. They don't note what car you drive at the boarder when you come in...

Zero102
12-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Wait, if you drive daily in calgary then you are an alberta resident. It doesn't matter where you are from if you're living here you need to have your vehicle registered in this province. So no, you cannot do that legally.

TomcoPDR
12-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Wait, if you drive daily in calgary then you are an alberta resident. It doesn't matter where you are from if you're living here you need to have your vehicle registered in this province. So no, you cannot do that legally.

googe
12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Not true at all. You can drive daily without having residency.

You can stay for up to a year at a time on a visitor's visa, so I call bullshit. You just have to claim that you plan to "return home" to the states. It's unprovable really, so it'd be hard to run into a problem.

Zero102
12-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Well it's easy, if you don't have a visa then you live here and you need to have your vehicle registered here. If you have a visa and are here for legitimate reasons and have out-of-province plates for a legitimate reason then there is no reason to start this thread. I agree it is a difficult thing to prove, but let's remember that Beyond is NOT here to promote abuse of laws and illegal activity, right?

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-26-2007, 10:38 PM
What if he has dual-citizenship?

GTS Jeff
12-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Insurance fraud AFAIK. You can't insure a car for one place if you plan on driving it elsewhere most of the time. If they find out (like if you get into an accident and they notice you live in Canada), they'll pull your coverage, which leaves you fucked for the accident, as well as facing a no insurance trial in court. Could someone in the insurance bidnizz verify?

01RedDX
12-26-2007, 11:32 PM

benyl
12-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by civicluva

I don't understand how they would prove that. They don't note what car you drive at the boarder when you come in...

Easy. Whenever you cross the boarder into Canada, they have these nifty cameras that take a picture of your car and rear license plate. It gets stored in the database.

If you get into an accident... yer screwed.

civicluva
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Insurance fraud AFAIK. You can't insure a car for one place if you plan on driving it elsewhere most of the time. If they find out (like if you get into an accident and they notice you live in Canada), they'll pull your coverage, which leaves you fucked for the accident, as well as facing a no insurance trial in court. Could someone in the insurance bidnizz verify?

How is it insurance fraud?

If you read the little ticket on your insurance it says inter-province. You will be insured in the USA/Canada. Doesn't matter where you are.

I drove with my Washington plates for over 2 years, I never had an issue.

Tik-Tok
12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Wow, totally wrong. (lol, couldn't resist)

You can, as long as your insurance company knows about it. My main residence was still in B.C. my first year at SAIT, all I had to do was tell ICBC that I would be a student in Alberta. They had no problem with it, and covered me when my then girlfriend wrote off my car. Though I'm sure that situation is one of very few exceptions.

Zero102
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You can, as long as your insurance company knows about it. My main residence was still in B.C. my first year at SAIT, all I had to do was tell ICBC that I would be a student in Alberta. They had no problem with it, and covered me when my then girlfriend wrote off my car. Though I'm sure that situation is one of very few exceptions.

Yes, going to a school in another province is a valid reason to have out-of-province registration. If the OP is attending school full time at an approved educational institution in Calgary then he's safe. I'm in BC with Alberta plates/insurance right now for that exact reason, plus insurance was $800/year cheaper in alberta.

If he has a full-time job, then he is not. If you not attending school (or I think there's 1 or 2 other exemptions) then you are considered living here and you need to have your vehicle registered here.

HondaRice
12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
nah. the company i work for has arizona plates, they must of been on there for about 10 years on their trucks. even though these trucks never leave calgary

look at the UHAUL trucks. they are all AZ plates some may leave alberta and so forth .

GTS Jeff
12-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You can, as long as your insurance company knows about it. My main residence was still in B.C. my first year at SAIT, all I had to do was tell ICBC that I would be a student in Alberta. They had no problem with it, and covered me when my then girlfriend wrote off my car. Though I'm sure that situation is one of very few exceptions. Something tells me that the OP isn't going to tell his insurance company about his plans to drive the car in Canada full time.

Nice try though. Better luck next time.