PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy FS/BB extended warranty on LCD TV?

holden
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I just purchased a 46" Sony LCD TV from Future Shop. I bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase because in the middle of all the boxing day frenzy, I wasn't sure if I needed it or not (hadn't done my homework).

Does anyone have any recommendations about the extended warranty? I think I'm allowed to cancel within 30 days and I plan on doing that after I set up my TV.

Thanks

arian_ma
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
IMO it's unnecessary.

403Gemini
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
If you go back to cancel the warranty just be prepared to stick to your guns because you will be questioned (almost interogated) by a manager. Thats a high ticket item and the warranty is making the store, and the salesman a lot of money.

Warranty on things like mp3 players, cameras, phones, etc... not necessary. On things like TV's , laptops... i would probably get it because it is an investment that you dont want to break down.

That being said i bought a tv about 3 years ago now and have had 0 problems at all... however i bought it on my laptop and 1 week after manufacturers warranty my laptop shit the bed, was happy i spent the extra coin to get it fixed.

90% of the people on here will tell you its useless though, honestly, its a gamble.

topmade
12-27-2007, 01:15 PM
If the overall price is still under what you would normally buy the TV for then why not? Any warranty is a hit and miss, if you use it then you'd thank god that you bought it, but if you don't, you'll think it was a waste of money.

accordboi_02
12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
IIRC the Sony extended warranty (from Sonystyle or the Sony store) is like half the price of the FS PSP, and outside of things like "No lemon policy" you will get the same service.

So if you want warranty, why not just extend the Sony one?

I won't buy warranty anymore, esp. now that they are charging just insane prices for it.

A790
12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I got the extended warranty on my DLP TV as it has a bunch of moving parts and blah blah blah. For LCD/Plasma I probably would too if you're spending $1K+.

SCHIDER23
12-27-2007, 07:57 PM
:werd: I always buy extended warranty on items greater than 1k

sweeks
12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Never got one, never will, never needed one. but like said its a gamble.

2000Accord
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
A lot of Visa's will double the manufacturer's warranty (up to a year), that is what I did...may still be a hassle getting warranty work done, but no more hassle that getting warranty work done through bb/fs contrary to the 'hassle free' warranty work that the salesmen claim/sell.

Zero102
12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
The trick used to be to use the FS credit card since it gave you a free 3-year PSP on everything you bought. Since they changed banks that offer is gone. That was the only way I ever got their plans before.

Knowing that 50% of the warranty cost goes to the person who sold you it is a big enough deterrent for me. If they can spare that much of it and still turn a profit on the program then you are always losing by buying it. It's like the lottery, some people win big, but most people just lose.

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2007, 03:28 AM
I never buy extended warranty for anything.

Sanj7
12-28-2007, 03:35 AM
Knowing that 50% of the warranty cost goes to the person who sold you it is a big enough deterrent for me. If they can spare that much of it and still turn a profit on the program then you are always losing by buying it. It's like the lottery, some people win big, but most people just lose.

lol 50%????... ive worked as a salesman for futureshop and beleive me its ALOT less.

Redlyne_mr2
12-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Waste of money IMO. If the item is going to fail it will fail during the 1st year of ownership and at that point is still covered by the manufacturer. If the item lasts past the year then its good to go for a long time, much longer than the length of the extended warranty for the most part.

TheCheff
12-28-2007, 04:26 AM
I got an extended 3-year on my 1st gen 20gb ipod back when they were like $400. Low and behold 2 years and 6months in the ipod dies and im upgraded to a 60 gb Video. Soo I usually purchase the warranties especially on the bigger items such as tvs/cameras.

2002civic
12-28-2007, 11:29 AM
not a chance, if it is going to need work its going to happen in the first year 90% of the time,

pf0sh0
12-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 2000Accord
A lot of Visa's will double the manufacturer's warranty (up to a year), that is what I did...may still be a hassle getting warranty work done, but no more hassle that getting warranty work done through bb/fs contrary to the 'hassle free' warranty work that the salesmen claim/sell.

The visa extended warranty sucks. They will make you find 3 shops and get quotes you have to pay for and they only will pay for the quote that they use. it is much more of a hassle.

SilverRex
12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree with some one that its a risk on both fronts.

at the end of the day, it all comes down to if you have the extra money. if you do, why not.

if you dont and you have a tight budget, then dont do it, its the same thing as you bought it and and something goes sour where as if you dont you only hope nothing goes wrong and you save money that way too

kenny
12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Warranty is all about peace of mind. If you ever worry about how you are using your TV (leaving it on too long, its being turned on/off too often because different people use it, etc) then you may benefit from purchasing a service plan/extended warranty.

Its not a waste of money if the TV works flawlessly beyond the coverage period because you enjoyed the TV worry free (priceless!).

So... I'll add on the 5-year plan so you can see what it works out to, and decide if you want to go ahead with that or bump it down to the 4 or 3 year plan. (best PSP close line ever for those of you working at FS) :rofl:

codetrap
12-28-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/money/extended_warranties/