PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Cobalt... AWD + 6spd?!

403Gemini
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/revitalization/chevroletria/cobalt.shtml

245 hp is sorta the shitty part but GM usually underrates their cars. the SS/SC cobalts have 205 hp but people are dynoing stock up to 215.

If they clean up the interior and make it feel less cheap i'd considering getting into one of these, of course production model pending... the concept sorta looks fugly haha

Specifications Sheet
Vehicle Type: Compact FWD 4-Door Sedan and 2-Door Coupe
Size Comparison: Current Cobalt
Competitors: Toyota Corolla, Mazda3, Honda Civic, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus (Cobalt SS): Mazdaspeed3, Honda Civic Si, Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Base Platform: Delta II
Drive Wheels: FWD, AWD (SS)
Engines:
LS: 2.0L 150HP ECOTEC 4 - Starting at $15,250
LT: 2.0L 150HP ECOTEC 4 - Starting at $17,250
LTZ: 2.0L 165HP ECOTEC 4 w/DI - Starting at $20,450
SS: 2.0L 245HP ECOTEC HOT 4 w/DI - Starting at $24,150
Transmissions: 5-speed Manual (Standard: LS), 6 Speed Automatic (Standard: LT/LTZ/SS Optional: LS), 6-Speed Manual (Standard: SS, Optional: LT, LTZ)

Graham_A_M
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
That link should have been given the title "the nightmare 2011 Chevrolet line up" instead. Man those cars are beyond hideous. I think we'll see a pronounced drop in Corvette sales if they ever release that monstrosity.
The Malibu, Camaro and Impala are pretty much the only cars there I'm able to look at for more then three seconds each before vomitting, I have a lot of respect for GM nowadays, but those cars are disasters.

mark4091
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
It's a little bit....whats the word I'm looking for here.. pug faced?

Good cars though, hopefully it has a little more power.

jsn
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Is it just me or do pretty much all of their cars front look the same? The impala, caprice, volt, cobalt, aveo, bel air and even the beat all seems as if the same design was recycled over and over :barf:

403Gemini
12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
keeping in mind its concept drawings and all gm concepts are WAY over exagerrated, like i said in my initial post - i'll wait till production models before i base an opinion. Stats on paper, it doesnt sound half bad though

lewdvig
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
A lease back will make a nice car for my eldest boy. He'll be driving in 2014-15.

Holy crap, did I just type that?

f0ck am I ever old.

JRSC00LUDE
12-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I have a lot of respect for GM nowadays......

You must be referring to Grand Marnier?

Graham_A_M
12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
^ Haha no. Their starting to get their shit together slowly but surely, the Malibu, Sky (& Solstice to a lesser extent) and the Silverado are pretty big hits.

http://www.gmcanada.com/gm/english/vehicles/saturn/vue/showroom/summary

^ I think were not going to see too many of these things on the road anytime soon though:nut:

That new electric vehicle called the "Volt" looks pretty interesting though, I'm sure its looks will spark a youthful interest in the electric car segment:dunno:
but time will tell

zachattack54
12-27-2007, 03:41 PM
That is very ugly. No getting around that, but the awd is sweet.

ekguy
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
bah just get a bimmer you'll enjoy it more. They are going in a great direction with AWD though.

Mibz
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by zachattack54
That is very ugly. No getting around that, but the awd is sweet. I'll believe the AWD when it's 2009. Both Mazda and Dodge said their speedy econoboxes (MS3 and CSRT-4) would have AWD but scrapped it due to, I believe, cost. If the 2010 Cobalt gets AWD it's either going to be in the $38,000 to $45,000 range or given the interior quality of a submarine.

I'm pretty sure the complaint of every SRT-4, MS3 and Cobalt SS driver is still FWD but if they want to fix that I think the more sensible option is RWD. I don't build cars though, so who knows what they're thinking.

treg50
12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Is it just me or do pretty much all of their cars front look the same? The impala, caprice, volt, cobalt, aveo, bel air and even the beat all seems as if the same design was recycled over and over
This is unusual to you? Have you looked at BMWs before?

Originally posted by 403gemini
keeping in mind its concept drawings and all gm concepts are WAY over exagerrated, like i said in my initial post - i'll wait till production models before i base an opinion. Stats on paper, it doesnt sound half bad though
I love the 2nd pic, it's not even that exaggerated besides the wheels. Weird how the title says "Cobalt SS Coupe Shown" but the 2nd pic is the SS Sedan. Nailing down the new SS Sedan would be huge for GM.

Graham_A_M
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
. If the 2010 Cobalt gets AWD it's either going to be in the $38,000 to $45,000 range or given the interior quality of a submarine.

Or get a Benz C class, hmm.... thats a toughy:rofl:

$45k for a Cobalt? for that price they'd better include an apparatus that gives wicked head while you drive.... Christ you'll never see me spending that kind of money for whats essentially an economy car that can boogie in the 1/4 mile.:nut:
I think they need to leave the Cobalt as it stands, and introduce a new model or "pep up" a current one to warrent that price tag.
That seems asinine, $14k for the base Cobalt, or $45k for the top of the line one?
:eek:

ZC_CIVIC
12-28-2007, 12:12 AM
they all look like the new honda civic..:thumbsup: all ugly as sin...but i think the camaro looks hawt:burnout:

Mibz
12-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Or get a Benz C class, hmm.... thats a toughy:rofl:

$45k for a Cobalt? for that price they'd better include an apparatus that gives wicked head while you drive.... Christ you'll never see me spending that kind of money for whats essentially an economy car that can boogie in the 1/4 mile.:nut:
I think they need to leave the Cobalt as it stands, and introduce a new model or "pep up" a current one to warrent that price tag.
That seems asinine, $14k for the base Cobalt, or $45k for the top of the line one?
:eek: $45,000 is a gross estimate assuming they not only add AWD but a 300hp engine and improve the interior and suspension.

*I spent nearly 20 minutes rambling here and in the end came to same conclusion. I don't think it will happen.*

ZC_CIVIC
12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
2010 impala

SS: 7.0L 505HP LS7 V8- Transmissions: 6 Speed Automatic (Standard: LS/ LT/LTZ/SS), DSG 6 (Optional: SS

:eek:

GTS Jeff
12-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Let's not forget that not all AWD systems are equal. AWD is a nice term for the marketing whizzes to throw around, but it could mean anything from the garbage systems in say a CRV to the pimpshit in Audis.

Who's to say this won't be another budget system that's FWD with a viscous coupled transfer case?

Redlyne_mr2
12-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Im hoping its the same system used in your awd tercel.

403Gemini
12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
$45,000 is a gross estimate assuming they not only add AWD but a 300hp engine and improve the interior and suspension.

*I spent nearly 20 minutes rambling here and in the end came to same conclusion. I don't think it will happen.*

I honestly don't imagine seeing a 45k price tag on a cobalt man... consdering a WRX sells for 32k, or an audi for 35k.

Nice try though :thumbsup: Domestics are good at doing what they do best, lots of horse power for very little money. 25k gets you 285 hp in the new srt-4.

Improve the interior - i agree with

Improve the suspension - with the 05-07 models i whole heartidly agree with,... but the '08 cobalt...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

8:22 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2008 2.0 Turbo

8:22 BMW M3 E46

8:39 Honda S2000

(And GM did the full lap of the course) - I think their new fine tuned suspension and brembo front brakes are a vast improvement over most cars out there. I have to agree with Graham, GM is finally making smart decisions on their cars. (And I by no means say this because I own a cobalt, I wish a test drove a few more cars before comitting to mine)

Mibz
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I honestly don't imagine seeing a 45k price tag on a cobalt man... consdering a WRX sells for 32k, or an audi for 35k.

Nice try though :thumbsup: Domestics are good at doing what they do best, lots of horse power for very little money. 25k gets you 285 hp in the new srt-4.

Improve the interior - i agree with

Improve the suspension - with the 05-07 models i whole heartidly agree with,... but the '08 cobalt...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

8:22 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2008 2.0 Turbo

8:22 BMW M3 E46

8:39 Honda S2000

(And GM did the full lap of the course) - I think their new fine tuned suspension and brembo front brakes are a vast improvement over most cars out there. I have to agree with Graham, GM is finally making smart decisions on their cars. (And I by no means say this because I own a cobalt, I wish a test drove a few more cars before comitting to mine) Again, this is assuming they jump into STi/Evo territory. If they wanted to compete they'd need definitive advantages to overcome the established platforms from Subaru and Mitsubishi so they'd do a pretty big overhaul. Which is, again, why I think they won't do it.

Now, cooking up a $35,000 AWD Cobalt to compete with the WRX.... I dunno. That's my issue with the whole thing is that as soon as they add AWD and increase the price they're competing against different vehicles. Yeah it'll be better than the SRT-4 and MS3 but now they're in different classes.

That's a pretty sweet lap time on the 08 though, looks like they made themselves a pretty nice car.

lewdvig
12-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but even at $45k the used ones will be $3k in like two years.

Eleanor
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I think the sedan looks damn good if they clean up those tailights. Bold american styling, it's good to see dodge and gm coming back to it rather trying to copy the japanese/euro cars and failing miserably. If this car does in fact make it to production (which i doubt) i will have to take it for a test drive.

avishal26
12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
is it just me or do the caprice and the malibu look exactly the same.. (not just the front...?) :dunno:

01RedDX
12-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Graham_A_M
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
Yeah, but even at $45k the used ones will be $3k in like two years.

I think the resale value will be increasing steadily. Its not like the mid 1990's with these Cavaliers that were unreliable jallopy's after a mere two years.
I think the reliability is steadily increasing, whereas its rivaling that of Toyota & Honda. So in time, we can expect to see a leveling of resale values. But yeah I'd agree to say that the current resale value of a newer GM car makes it worth while to buy one thats a year or two old. :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by avishal26
is it just me or do the caprice and the malibu look exactly the same.. (not just the front...?) :dunno:
They've always been much the same car.
Much like the Sunfire/Cavalier, or the Trailblazer/Yukon.
Same basic platform

Proboscis
01-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer/envoy. Inline 6
Bravada and saab V8

But a olds V8 SUV?? maybe in 20 years