PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - December 26, 2007 - New Year 2008

skidmark
12-27-2007, 10:09 PM
New Year 2008

I wish that I could end another year of columns on a positive note, after all, we have a new year only days away and with it new hopes and dreams for ourselves and those that we hold dear. Certainly, we don't expect to be involved in a collision in 2008 let alone be one of those unlucky people who are injured or lose their lives in the operation of a motor vehicle on one of B.C.'s highways. Will making a resolution protect us?

Sadly, the number one cause of death for those aged 1 to 24 in B.C. is a motor vehicle collision. Of the more than 400 people who will die in a crash in 2008, about 250 of them will be people between the ages of 15 and 24. Imagine the loss of potential that represents to say nothing of the pain it will leave those left behind.

We are far too accepting of the risk involved in the operation of our favourite mode of transportation. If this death toll was the result of something out of the ordinary we would be vocal in our condemnation of the culprits and demanding that our government do something about it immediately. However, the only voices that I can think of hearing on reflection are those of ICBC and Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

Where are the voices of our politicians? Perhaps speaking loudly with the discontinuance of the photo radar program and failing to fund an expansion of the red light camera system so that there might be one in every box already in place. Why are radar detectors still legal along with the use of one hand to talk on a cell phone? I may not be paying enough attention, but when I hear them speak out, it seems to be largely reactive instead of proactive.

We have the responsibility to each other to exercise courtesy, show respect and drive safely, even when it is inconvenient for ourselves. Yes, I make mistakes when I drive but I don't make the choice to put others at risk because of my deliberate behaviour. Wouldn't it be nice if we all tried to be better drivers in 2008?

I wish....

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/back_issues/2007_12_26.htm)

mx73someday
12-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by skidmark
New Year 2008

We are far too accepting of the risk involved in the operation of our favourite mode of transportation. If this death toll was the result of something out of the ordinary we would be vocal in our condemnation of the culprits and demanding that our government do something about it immediately. However, the only voices that I can think of hearing on reflection are those of ICBC and Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

You will never bring the deathtoll to zero, this "400" figure is already incredibly low considering the amount of driving and the conditions we drive through in Canada. How many of those 400 are intoxicated or killed by intoxicated drivers?

People have to accept that there is risk in everything in life, in driving there is increased risk. If you want to save every last life you'd better be willing to give up a lot of your freedoms and be prepared to get shit when you take away mine.

Where are the voices of our politicians? Perhaps speaking loudly with the discontinuance of the photo radar program and failing to fund an expansion of the red light camera system so that there might be one in every box already in place. Why are radar detectors still legal along with the use of one hand to talk on a cell phone? I may not be paying enough attention, but when I hear them speak out, it seems to be largely reactive instead of proactive.

This is the wrong place to preach about photo radar and red light cameras, the majority of forum members believe that they are simply "cash cows", their effectiveness is questionable, but the taxes they generate are proven and expected by local governments.

Why are radar detectors still legal? Because we're supposed to live in a free nation where people can make decisions for themselves, this is like asking why alcohol is still legal. Our politicians have already gone too far to make driving and vehicles safe and taxed us to death with ineffective driving regulations.

There are violations that can't be caught with photo radar or red light cameras that are equally dangerous that go unnoticed each day. Maybe if drivers licenses weren't so easy to get and the government actually mandated a serious drivers training program we would see a lot of the bad driving habits disappear.