PDA

View Full Version : Big Time TB questions for you Car Gods

Ben
08-01-2002, 12:43 AM
Okay...well, I'm at the stage where I need to Port my throttlebody...(Newer bigger one recommends it ;) )

I know about ----><----- much about that sort of thing...anyone have any experience...places I can get it done...performance increases/decreases that you have heard of?

Thanks fellas.

rage2
08-01-2002, 01:55 AM
To get the most out of porting, you'd have to do everything so the entire path is opened up (no bottlenecks). Head, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, Air Sensor (if one exists), and Intake. Or add a turbo! =)

You'll get small gains from just doing a throttle body.

Ben
08-01-2002, 02:07 AM
ok, well, Intake is done, I have an air sensor (what do i do with that then) and I have a real big throttlebody which recommends porting the manifold (This was my question, why I put TB:dunno: )
and the head, well, I'm not that ready to go there.

I have a Turbo Manifold, a real nice one available for purchase, but I'm hesitant to aquire as I dont and wont have a turbo set up for quite some time...

5.9 R/T
08-01-2002, 02:24 AM
Get the turbo manifold if you can still use it without a turbo (don't see why you couldn't?). Your stock manifold is probably pretty shitty, small runners, and with some fairly nasty bends in it. A good turbo manifold will be short and straight with tubing that allows for equal distribution between all 4 cyls. If you have some time and air tools why not try doing it yourself. If you have a lifetime and a dremel give it your best shot. Smooth out bends, take off sharp edges, and take some material out of the runners themselves. Worst case is that you fuck up your stock manifold and as a reward get a brand spanking new turbo manifold.

Ben
08-01-2002, 02:26 AM
lol, thanks!

Yeah, I'm the proud owner of a dremel...but I'm thinking the Turbo Manifold would be a better idea...(mucho denero though shitty ass canadian/us exchange)

ah hell, I'm going to flog that TB on there anyways and worry about the manifold a bit later

redline
08-01-2002, 08:29 AM
RC engineering in SoCal will bore a TB! They did mine and it is pimp!

Ben
08-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Okay, so anyways, I got a Neuspeed Big Bore TB, and I'm going to end up just plopping it on with everything else...I have full exhaust on the way as well, so I'll probably install it at that time.

redline, could you let me know more about your portting...

speedracer
08-01-2002, 03:08 PM
You could always send it out to Guyon racing and have them port match it for you with a flowbench :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
08-01-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Okay, so anyways, I got a Neuspeed Big Bore TB
You should return the Neuspeed TB, go to Pick-Your-Nose and for like $20, get one out of an AUDI 4000 (5 cyl.)/5000 or VW Quantum 5 cyl.... they're the same thing. All you need to do is buy a new gasket and change over the throttle linkage and/or cables. I did some research on the Neuspeed and found this info. on the net, which I then applied to my TB install on my Mk1 Jetta 1.7L...:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

You should return the Neuspeed TB, go to Pick-Your-Nose and for like $20, get one out of an AUDI 4000 (5 cyl.)/5000 or VW Quantum 5 cyl.... they're the same thing. All you need to do is buy a new gasket and change over the throttle linkage and/or cables. I did some research on the Neuspeed and found this info. on the net, which I then applied to my TB install on my Mk1 Jetta 1.7L...:thumbsup:
thats a great idea..in a lot of cases aftermarket throttle bodies are nothing but a waste of money unless you plan on changing every possible piece of your intake system. The gaisn wont be much even when you do install the audi tb...im guessign around 2-4 hp

Ben
08-01-2002, 04:24 PM
I got the Neuspeed for a Smokin Deal, so I'm not returning it, but thanks for the info!

Clem
08-16-2002, 07:01 PM
http://www.bigborethrottlebodies.com/

This guy used to be a machinist for Delta. Very good feedback from people who've used him.

GTS Jeff
08-16-2002, 07:57 PM
lol, thanks!

...(mucho denero though shitty ass canadian/us exchange)
dood come buy USD from me, as i can get u a better rate than the general public :thumbsup: :clap:

legendboy
08-16-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
dood come buy USD from me, as i can get u a better rate than the general public :thumbsup: :clap:

whats this better deal????? I buy usd lots!

Ben
08-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

Fucker, I just dropped a hude wad on some USD...ah well, it couldn't be that much better

GTS Jeff
08-17-2002, 05:05 PM
its 2 or 3 percent better...

buh_buh
08-19-2002, 12:21 AM

Fucker, I just dropped a hude wad on some USD...ah well, it couldn't be that much better
why does it matter? I thought you got a killer deal on it.