PDA

View Full Version : OOP inspection... will this problem matter?

willyC
12-29-2007, 04:51 PM
If I get an OOP inspection on a convertible that has a torn back window, that is duct-taped... will it fail? or do they only check mechanical items?

I would bring it in with the top down so they dont notice, BUT it is winter... :whipped:

What do you guys think?

TomcoPDR
12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Should be related to safety mostly. http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/548.htm

Wehbeast
12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
dont duct-tape it, put the clear tape and hope for the best

funkedelic
12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
couldnt you just put the top down when u bring it in on a nice day? :dunno: so they dont see it..

unless you want to insure and register it right away i would wait until its hot so they dont check it, but u should get that fixed regardless

willyC
12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
It is a USA vechile....i got 45 days to get this thing road legal if I buy it.

Perhaps clear tape is better.

funkedelic
12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by willyC
It is a USA vechile....i got 45 days to get this thing road legal if I buy it.

Perhaps clear tape is better.

If its a u.s vehicle all you have to do is perform your out of country inspection

which means you only have to worry about..

- day time running lights
- display in km/per hour
- infant restraint kit UNLESS ITS A CONVERTIBLE
- functioning airbags

This is all they have to check, this is the only thing inspection you need to do within the 45 day period that RIV gives you. You can do the OOP Inspection whenever you like.. but you need it to register and insure your vehicle!

Tik-Tok
12-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic

If its a u.s vehicle all you have to do is perform your out of country inspection

However, if it's older than 10 years, his insurance company will probably want a safety inspection done on it. In which case duct tape will fail the back window if it blocks your view.

avishal26
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
^^ hmm .. my insurance company never requested a safety inspection on my 15 year old when i bought it... I use state farm (they're awesome btw)

funkedelic
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

However, if it's older than 10 years, his insurance company will probably want a safety inspection done on it. In which case duct tape will fail the back window if it blocks your view.

well thats if the car is already a previous alberta car. When its from japan or the u.s or anywhere for that matter you have to complete both inspections before you can insure and register your car.

A safety inspection is a pretty basic inspections that older cars have to pass, the out of province is hardcore compared to it.

mx73someday
12-30-2007, 01:25 AM
If it's an out-of-province inspection and they fail you, ask them to show you the exact failure in their OOP book. Or just go to another shop and ask them to look it up before going to the shop you really want to go to, every shop that does those kinds of inspections has the OOP manual, if they're friendly they should show you.

willyC
12-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Maybe I will slip the guy a 100bucks to pass it if he flags it hahaha

willyC
12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
The car is an 03... it is not ten years old.

I have never heard of an insurance company needing an inspection before.... i have owned ALOT of 15+ year old cars.

funkedelic
12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
just go and do your out of country and wait until the spring to do your out of province.

thats weird that they didnt ask you for an inspection, i thought it was a law to ask to do so, i know my insurance company always has on vehicles over 10 years old!

Deetz
12-30-2007, 06:59 PM
What kind of car is it? You plan to fix the problem anyway, why not buy a replacment window for it before hand?

canuckcarguy
12-30-2007, 11:54 PM
just leave it cracked, with no tape on it. Then there will be no visual impairment, no problem with the oop. Tape it afterwards.