PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the new Jeep Patriot?

spikerS
12-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey guys, the time is here for the wife and I to get the new car.

We are really leaning towards the Jeep Patriot, and put a deposit down on one, as it gives us more room for cargo, easy access to the backseat for kids, while still giving us good gas mileage for a SUV.

Just wondering if anyone can comment on the CVT tranny, or if anoyne has one or knows anyone that has them, and what their real-world thoughts are on these. How happy are they with the vehicle, anything we should be watching out for?

thanks guys!
Chris.

gpomp
12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
the cvt sounds like a blender.

spikerS
12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
^aye that it does, but that is what the stereo is for lol

was wondering more on the mechanical side of things, like are these a reliable transmission? wondering this as these are new transmissions for 2007 and have not really been tested too much yet.

jay42w8
12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I quite like the look of the new Liberty..

ashee
12-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Lots of plastic, I think the interior is pretty cheap looking.

G-ZUS
12-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by ashee

It can't be much worse than a Grand Am, Can it?

4bier
12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
the cvt sounds like a blender. manual tranny

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Its a cheap SUV that gets good gas mileage and has a cool look to it. Not much out there can compete with the price either, go for it.

TrailBlazerSS
12-30-2007, 11:00 AM
My sister has the limited edition. Looks pretty cool and it's nice inside with the heated 'leather' seats and sun roof. Rides like a car; comfortable and not bumpy. Gas mileage is really good.

But ya, it really does sound like a blender when you take off. lol :)

JRSC00LUDE
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Baaaaaa-ZING! :rofl:

mikemechanic
12-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I can officialy say that we have not yet seen a failed CVT transmission at work. The transmission takes a bit of getting used to while driving. Did you take it out for a drive? We have had some complaints about the general build quality of the vehicle but I figure for the price you pay you can't expect Bentley quality.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Mike

ashee
12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

I like the interior in my car :dunno:

G-ZUS
12-31-2007, 12:15 AM

I like the interior in my car :dunno:

I don't, I drove an 05 Grand Am, the interior is too cheap for me, the dash in my old 91 Accord wasn't even that bad

Kloubek
12-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Considering it's only a grand more than a Compass, AND is supposedly trail rated, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. I've seen these Patriots before, and I'm not a big fan. But that's me... someone who believes a Jeep should be a little more on the rugged side. But if you're into the urban SUV with occasional off-road capability, I don't think you can really do better for the price.

People have commented on the CVT, and personally - I absolutely hate it. But if you can live with it, then it's supposed to be pretty good, and saves on fuel economy.

At this price though, expect cheaper plastics inside, and the lack of ruggedness the "better" Jeeps tend to have. But I used to own a Liberty, and after shunning it for not seeming to be a "real" Jeep at first, I was actually very happy with what it offered - both on and off road. I suspect the Patriot is a similar breed.

Good luck!

spikerS
12-31-2007, 01:19 AM
thanks for all the replies guys, and keep em coming!

We are not buying the jeep for it to be a jeep. We are considering the price point, cargo capacity, and how comfortable we are driving it. It seems to fit all our needs nicely, but I had only 1 hang-up, and that was the CVT.

After doing countless hours of research on the net so far, only issue I have found with the CVT can apparently be fixed with a software reflash. WIERD! :dunno:

Supa Dexta
12-31-2007, 01:29 AM
If you plan on doing no off road at all, why not an awd mini van...

spikerS
12-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
If you plan on doing no off road at all, why not an awd mini van...

Because it is a AWD mini van.

Supa Dexta
12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
I hear the argument, but a better quality, better suited, more fuel efficient vehicle isn't a bad thing... As car enthusiasts (well I think theres still a few of us around here) minivans are against our nature, but when family comes, they are a useful vehicle.. And some of them are pretty nice..

spikerS
12-31-2007, 11:47 AM
the mini-van is more than we need, and with people reporting 32-35 MPG with the patriot I don't have an issue with the gas mileage. As far as us purchasing the mini van, neither of us could see us getting one.

For kicks we took a look a few mini vans, and you are right, some are loaded out quite nicely, but it is still a mini van.

the jeep will see some very light off road use, like to take us camping and fishing, as some of the places we go have some REALLY rough roads to get to them.

benyl
12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Isn't it a Calibre in disguise?

spikerS
12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
same platform yes. few minor differences with the drive train.

gpomp
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
pretty much the same car, the interiors look identical. i don't think the caliber gets the cvt though.

spikerS
12-31-2007, 07:49 PM
caliber comes in a 5 speed manual or the CVT.

MrPid
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
If you water it enough, it might grow into a Commander. ;)

Sailz
01-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I just bought a 05 Xterra 4wd Offroad edition and LOVE it! Something to think about!

98type_r
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM

yeah my gf was looking at it but then changed her mind after sitting in it and getting a good look at the interior

GT4rally
01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Haven't read the thread, but I think the Jeep Compass and Patriot are the Gremlin/Aztec of this decade... UGLY BEYOND BELIEF!!! I really don't know what Chrysler is thinking sometimes.

Go for a Japanese brand, like a Subaru Forester or a Nissan X-Trail... you'll be glad you did when it comes to re-sell it too!

TrailBlazerSS
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally
Go for a Japanese brand, like a Subaru Forester...

to each his own... but the Forester is pretty fug IMHO.

Destinova403
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

Go for a Japanese brand, like a Subaru Forester or a Nissan X-Trail... you'll be glad you did when it comes to re-sell it too!

arent those more expensive and not as fuel efficient for what the OP is looking for?

as a cheap, efficient, fairly reliable, city SUV you cant really go wrong with the patriot IMO... the interior isnt the greatest... but theres a lot of black plastic in the interiors of most cars in that price range.

ChevyZR2
01-20-2008, 01:41 AM
I took one out for a test drive and I thought it was underpowered. If it was available in a V6 I would have been much more interested. Also, I didn't like the looks of that huge cubby hole above the glove box.... definitely a place for junk to collect and it was right in front of your face.
Price was good though ... even for the fully loaded Limited model. Finance rates sucked however. Jeep wasn't giving any discount deals on the Patriot either.

canadian_hustla
08-27-2008, 11:09 PM
bump

does anyone have a 4x2 patriot? If so how does it run in the winter?

I am debating 4x2 vs 4x4

spikerS
08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
i got a 2wd compass. except for the back end, identical vehicle, and have had it since January. On the all seasons i bought it with, it held it's own, but I will be buying winters for it this year.

canadian_hustla
08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by spikers
i got a 2wd compass. except for the back end, identical vehicle, and have had it since January. On the all seasons i bought it with, it held it's own, but I will be buying winters for it this year.

did you get stuck at all? Spin out? I need a vehicle that i can drive pretty much every day.

Casa
08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
never buy a domestic, just based on the resale value.

joe.inom
09-01-2008, 07:37 AM
It is good to have that , i mean like the Patriot uses a four-cylinder 2.4 L GEMA gasoline I4 engine and also has a 2.0 L Volkswagen-designed diesel engine for the European and Australian markets. The base car features front-wheel drive, but a choice of two electronically-controlled four-wheel drive systems is optional. One, the Freedom Drive I, is a full-time system for on-road use. Freedom Drive II is made for off-road use with variable torque between speeds of 25 and 65 mph for optimal handling. The 2.0 L GEMA I4 is an option for the 4X2 model Patriot.Thsi should be good enough for you newers.

spikerS
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla

did you get stuck at all? Spin out? I need a vehicle that i can drive pretty much every day.

no, but then I never really tried to get it stuck either. It is pretty sure footed. I have never come across a situation with it yet that I wished I had 4x4. I will be buying winter tires for it this year. All in all, it has been great as a daily driver and don't regret buying it at all.

for the price, you just can't beat it.

canadian_hustla
09-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by spikers

no, but then I never really tried to get it stuck either. It is pretty sure footed. I have never come across a situation with it yet that I wished I had 4x4. I will be buying winter tires for it this year. All in all, it has been great as a daily driver and don't regret buying it at all.

for the price, you just can't beat it.

Yeah well I really appreciate your thoughts. Calgary winters can be absolute hell, I would hate to buy a brand new vehicle and find out that I should have ponyed up and got the 4x4. It is like a $3000 difference for the 4x4 (puts it out of my price range).

Mind you every patriot that I have seen driving around has 4x4. Makes me feel like I am getting a sub-par jeep but hey I will give it a shot.