PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Mechanics !?!

rileyh
12-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey i am doing a physics report on Quantum Mechanics. I do not have any books and only have the internet. It is very complex and i do not understand it all to well.. If you guys know anything about it, could you please enlighten me. All help would be appreciated. Thanks
Riley

qbnb
12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Watch "What the bleep do we know". Interesting as all hell and fairly entertaining.

DJ Lazy
12-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Look for a book called The Elegent Universe by Bryan Greene... there is also a great 3 part documentry you can watch HERE... (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html)

Should help you out alot.

Enjoy! It's awesome stuff to think about.

civic2001
12-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Ummm.... i think your going to need to ask a better question than "what is quantum mechanics". what grade/year are you in? i did some quantum mechanics in my chem class, just a little, not much, its very complicated stuff to grasp. Google is your friend!

ekguy
12-30-2007, 02:13 AM
isn't quantum physics a molecule that can go either way but will only do a certain thing if it's observed...meaning if you don't observe it, it won't do one thing but the other but while being observed it will do the other??? I remember reading something similar to that

sabad66
12-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Don't listen to DJ Lazy and read that book/watch the documentaries. Those are about string theory and will just confuse the shit out of you.

If I were you, I would just go to www.howstuffworks.com and read about it there.

DJ Lazy
12-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Don't listen to DJ Lazy and read that book/watch the documentaries. Those are about string theory and will just confuse the shit out of you.

If I were you, I would just go to www.howstuffworks.com and read about it there.

The book and documentry touch quite abit on Quantum Mechanics actually... I have both... :rolleyes:

DRKM
12-30-2007, 03:11 AM
DO NOT WATCH "What the Bleep do we Know"!!!!!!

I am a physics major and that movie is a hundred percent CRAP! But DJLAZY is correct about the brian green book. Or try out the Stephen Hawking book with pictures. Just go look at chapters.

DJ Lazy
12-30-2007, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by DRKM
But DJLAZY is correct about the brian green book.

Thank You!!!! :) Sometimes I DO know what I'm talking about.. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
12-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by rileyh
Hey i am doing a physics report on Quantum Mechanics. I do not have any books and only have the internet. It is very complex and i do not understand it all to well.. If you guys know anything about it, could you please enlighten me. All help would be appreciated. Thanks
Riley Wikipedia, son.

sr20s14zenki
12-30-2007, 04:13 AM
wikipedia is GREAT!

atomic
12-30-2007, 04:43 AM
it's funny that the first two reply's are suggesting to watch the most widely publicised docs . but i have to admit that neither will explain quantum physics . but wikipedia will help best .

what the bleep do we know.. HA, that's for hippies . all u'll learn from that is to love strangers . might as well watch oprah's The SECRET! YAY!

and the elegant universe . it's great if you want a high level explanation of how the string theory has been used for quantum definitions .

both will be okay, but neither will help you with the math involved . i'm glad u found wikipedia :)

rileyh
12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I know, I did look on Wikepedia... haha, there definition for Quantum Mechanics is quite confusing. I have been looking on Google and was just asking if you guys knew anything about it. Well, this is gonna sound lame, but Im in Grade 12, doign a report for Physics 30. Hah, so I dont think it has to be to detailed of a report, half the people in my class wont have a clue what im talking about anyways, I dont think my teacher knows a whole lot about it either. I am just doing it to try and learn some new, interesting things. But ya, ill check out that site that DJ Lazy pointed it, and see if that helps. Any other good sites that you guys might know of?
Riley

codetrap
12-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Google is your friend. Or better yet, go to the library and start poking around the physics section. Personally, I wouldn't trust wikipedia, as it really is the knowledge of the lowest common denominator, not to mention that any instructor worth their pay would simply toss any paper that listed wikipedia as a source.

DRKM
12-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know about wiki being the last source you would look at... But I don't think that you could ever learn the math behind QM from wiki. hahaha...

What specifically are you writing on?

Here is a great site
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/hph.html

Canmorite
12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Look for a book called The Elegent Universe by Bryan Greene... there is also a great 3 part documentry you can watch HERE... (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html)

Should help you out alot.

Enjoy! It's awesome stuff to think about.

Damn, those are some sweet vids :thumbsup:

Thanks.

herragge
12-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
isn't quantum physics a molecule that can go either way but will only do a certain thing if it's observed...meaning if you don't observe it, it won't do one thing but the other but while being observed it will do the other??? I remember reading something similar to that

holy shiat i could probably understand quantum better than i can understand the shit you just wrote.

Super_Geo
12-31-2007, 08:47 AM
If you know anything about quantum mech watching What the Bleep will make you feel sick. Seriously, it's one big stinking piece of shit. After I saw it I wanted to punch the people responsible in the face.

TimG
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Feynmann lectures on physics.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm/

rileyh
12-31-2007, 07:55 PM
wow those videos are quite interesting. ha. I never knew anything about the string theory until now. hahah. and the other website-hyperphysics- holy crap... thats kinda confusing. i dont think they really simplified to much within that website. haha anyways thanks guys, these are helping quite abit.

TimG
12-31-2007, 11:06 PM
oh, if you want the "basic" basics, look up the postulates of QM

atomic
01-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
If you know anything about quantum mech watching What the Bleep will make you feel sick. Seriously, it's one big stinking piece of shit. After I saw it I wanted to punch the people responsible in the face.

lol finally someone who agrees . since when did all those f'n hippies get any scientific recognition? they quote expirements with no presentable data, just spoken word results from fat palm readers .

and what's with that deaf lady? and the basketball with that little kid . he's all "look at my skilllz, biznah" . and she's all hellen keller .

D. Dub
01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by qbnb
Watch "What the bleep do we know". Interesting as all hell and fairly entertaining.

That movie is sheer and utter new age bs and has very little to do with actual quantum mechanics.

D. Dub
01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rileyh
Riley

Umm call me old skool but the point of doing a report is to do the research and learn about the topic from credible resources.

rileyh
01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Umm call me old skool but the point of doing a report is to do the research and learn about the topic from credible resources.

Yes yes, i know.. i figureed there had to be a few physicists or physics engineers on this website, that had possibly taken it in university. But, those websites were good.. so thanks guys.