PDA

View Full Version : Want to know the Value of your car? Black Book Values.

spikerS
12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
with all the threads I have seen recently about people wondering what their car is worth, or to get an idea on what a vehicle is worth, here is a quick and easy link for you all.

Black Book Car Values. (http://toyota.blkbk.com/toyota/jb/serve/auth?token=A05F9B5D%2D61A2%2D48F0%2D8D3E0B403F9D950E)

If the above direct link does not work, follow the links through here:

Black Book Value direct (http://www.canadianblackbook.com/html/consumer.html)

no idea if a Mod would want to sticky this, but with any luck people searching will find this.

misterrick
12-31-2007, 02:25 PM
ummm.....thats a link to toyota

spikerS
12-31-2007, 02:27 PM
its a link from toyota to the blackbook site. it is working fine for me.....

Crymson
12-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Bad link, but toyota's website does have a black book calculator on it. Most threads where the OP asks for black book value on their car get told to search toyota's website.

adam c
12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
where is it on the site?

Crymson
12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I think the link says something like "check the value of your trade in" or something like that.

johnny0214
12-31-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/english/confighelp/appraise_tradein.html

rc2002
12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
For anyone using black book values, keep in mind that it's only a guide.

Many cars sell for well above black book value, and some cars are actually quite difficult to sell at or even below black book value.

G-ZUS
12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
IMO those links mainly give you wholesale values. ie. what a dealer would pay you for a vehicle, not what it would fetch privately

Sharpie
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Many cars sell for well above black book value, and some cars are actually quite difficult to sell at or even below black book value.
:werd: Dont go running into the market place saying you saw a car for $XXX in the black book, because really it is just a guideline for banks and dealers to use.

01RedDX
12-31-2007, 03:14 PM

civic2001
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
whole sale price, this link sucked:closed:

crewchaud
12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

:werd: Dont go running into the market place saying you saw a car for $XXX in the black book, because really it is just a guideline for banks and dealers to use.

However, it is a great tool to know if your paying too much for a used car.

Just some basic things to consider when observing black book prices:

* how may km? (standard amount of km/year is 24,000)
* Physical condition (has it been in an accident)
* Does it need any work? Such as windsheild, tires, brakes...etc
* Is the car from Ontario? Take 10% off the listed black book value

Typical stuff like this will bring the value down even more.

If anyone has an AMA membership, they actually have the best version of the black book on their website as it gives both wholesale and RETAIL prices.

Just my 2 cents

Happy New Year

tom_9109
12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Black book value = wholesale value. :closed:

BLACK BOOK VALUE IS NOT NECESSARILY EQUAL TO WHOLESALE VALUE.

Dealers may try to make you believe this however please take note of the following example. A dealer will always try to get at least retail for it when they sell it and have no problem telling a consumer trading in that black book dictates what their car is worth. All values are straight out of the respective book.

If you own a vehicle it is in all rights it is worth the retail value. It can vary from that due to mileage and condition and in Alberta 5% is added.

For actual wholesale and retail values you would use the Red Book.

Example: 2003 Acura RSX Type S w/ 80,000km

Black book value = Low: $11,550.00 High: $13,450.00

Red Book = Wholesale Value: $16,525
Retail Value: $18,825

Clearly Black Book is significantly below Wholesale value. A dealer may make you believe he should give you blackbook but then he is going to try to sell for redbook retail.

01RedDX
12-31-2007, 04:05 PM

tom_9109
12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ I always thought Red Book was a blend of wholesale (Black Book) and retail values that insurance companies use.
I guess it would be more accurate to call Black Book values 'trade-in' values.

I prefer to call it the bend you over and stick it in dry value.

Redbook doesn't blend from anything. They determine their own values.

johnny0214
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
when my friend tried to trade in a 2006 lancer the dealer offered the black book price. The blackbook link is there so that you can appraise your trade in which is close to what the dealer would offer you.

Black book value = Low: $11,550.00 High: $13,450.00

Red Book = Wholesale Value: $16,525
Retail Value: $18,825

Dealers buying at blackbook price then selling at retail value in this example sounds about right.

tom_9109
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Dealers just use black book to "Prove" to you that you're getting what you deserve. Its a manipulation and unfortunately people figure "hey, the book has to be right" and take it right in the ass.

crewchaud
12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Who makes this fucken "red book"? Never seen this at the dealerships and I can assure you know one use it.

The bottom line is this:

The dealership will use the black book and "only" the black book as a guide line. If the dealership and the owner of the vehicle ('03 RSX-S) can not decide on a fair price taking into consideration supply & demand, condition of the vehicle and the cost of re-conditioning they will then call the "Acura" dealership and ask them how much they would by the car for as it sits. That will usually always result in the bottom line. If you don't like the price then go sell it yourself is basically how it goes.

Wholesale prices will usually only ever come in to play if the dealership is not interested in re-conditioning the vehicle and selling it on the lot. The used car manager will then call on of his "wholesale" buddies programmed in his speed dial to come pic the car up and the invoice these fellows get does not in the slightest reflect any "red book" price. It actually the lower then black book.

As for the "black" book haters... Understand something...

The dealership is almost never going to pay retail for your car, plain and simple. Why the would they? They need to make a profit of your car not break even by turning around and selling it for the same price they bought it for.

When a dealership is pricing your care for trade in, he/she is asking themself would this car sell for 30% more then what I am about to pay for it? In order for the car to be somewhat profitable after re-conditioning, paying out commissions and then putting what gross is left in the bank. Now keep in mind that 30% is just an average. If supply & demand says we can sell it for more then they will.

You will always make more money (usually) selling privately but then that depends on how much you value your time, auto trader expenses and patience. Most people can not be bothered to deal with the private sale of car especially with all the tire kickers out there.

pf0sh0
12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
what if my car is jdm yo? :banghead:

crewchaud
12-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

LOL... Excellent question! I don't think dealerships will even look at them to be honest and there is unfortunatly no black book for them in Canada.

If anyone can answer this I would love to know too.

None of the dealerships I worked at would touch them.

tom_9109
12-31-2007, 06:53 PM
The original posters intent was to show people a way to find out what their car is worth and quite simply the black book doesn't reflect what a car is worth. Redbook does however give an accurate idea of what your vehicle is worth.

I am a Vehicle Appraiser. Each and every day I am required to determine how much vehicles are worth in their given condition. I determine what a cars value actually is, not what a dealership would pay you for it. I can tell you that 99% of the time the Red Book coincides very closely with my professional opinion. Red book is the most accurate guideline for an individual to use when trying to determine what his or her vehicle is worth. Should a vehicles value ever come into debate in a court or other adversarial medium my opinion would be taken as that of an expert.

If someone were to hire me to appraise a vehicle or simply ask in passing, my value would fall no where near the black book price. Rather one can expect quite the opposite, my value would be very close to that of the Redbook.

Here is a direct quote from blackbook of what it is and how it differs in its online form.
"The on-line prices we provide to manufacturers for use on their web sites are "Trade-in" values. These are prices calculated differently than “wholesale”. It is a range of value we would expect a dealer to give a consumer trading in a vehicle on the purchase of a new vehicle, based on the dealer not seeing the car and allowing for worse case scenarios. A dealer having to repair, clean, market and maintain that vehicle on their lot until sold, is investing a significant amount. Additionally, if that vehicle does not sell within a reasonable timeframe, the dealer will have to auction the vehicle, adding to their expense.

The figures provided in our industry publications are "wholesale" values.This is a baseline value we would expect a dealer or wholesaler to pay at an auction for a vehicle. One of the differences between a wholesale value and a Trade-in value is with a Wholesale value, the vehicle is "seen" and comes with certain guarantees provided by the auction house."

crewchaud ~ the Redbook is not some obscure book that no one uses. It is the primary book used in determining values for insurance purposes and as a guideline when determine if a vehicle value warrants repair vs. write off.

pf0sh0 ~ To determine value of a specialty vehicle such as a JDM import, hiring a proffesional appraiser is the best bet. To get an idea for yourself look at what is available on the market and how it relates to your vehicle. Good judgement will usually let you get a pretty good idea yourself.

civicluva
12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

then its garbage.

tom_9109
12-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I will clarify that the company "Canadian Black Book" that publishes the black book does offer other products which are most likely accurate to what a vehicle is worth. Just the black book offering isn't one of them

crewchaud
12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE]crewchaud ~ the Redbook is not some obscure book that no one uses. It is the primary book used in determining values for insurance purposes and as a guideline when determine if a vehicle value warrants repair vs. write off.[QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up Tom...

I knew that red book had nothing to do with dealerships and that is why I have never seen them around.

Naturally insurance companies would appraise their cars different from a car dealership.

canuckcarguy
01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
The Black Book has pretty accurate wholesale values. If you're wondering where they come up with the numbers, they collect and report the data from wholesale dealer auctions across the country. Nowadays, that pretty much means ADESA auctions from coast to coast. It's a pretty decent reflection of current auction prices, and used car managers use the book as a guide when they appraise your trade-in. Of course, because they play with the price on the new vehicle, vs. the trade-in value on yours, you won't know what they actually think your car is worth.

Theoretically, if they actually pay black book for your car, it allows them to sell it at auction (or possibly to a wholesaler) for the same price. Or if they want to retail it, they'll recondition it and mark it up.

A lot of banks and lenders will also use the Black Book as a guide when they're lending money against vehicles.

HondaRice
01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
doesnt have 1998 toyota supra

heres what KBB.com says for 1998 supra with 100,000 miles everything in top condition:

Condition Value

Excellent
$17,300

Good
$16,235

Fair
$14,280

tom_9109
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Interestingly enough is Red Book Doesn't have a price for a 98 supra either.

tentacles
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Was it sold in Canada?

7thgenvic
01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
that linked suckeedddddd...

joyridder
01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
:thumbsdow lol
My new car is worth 1/2 of what I just paid for it lol....

funkedelic
01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
mine wasn't too bad, actually a lot more then what i expected it to say

HondaRice
01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
yeah i read tons of stories where people with supra's are paid the bluebook value instead of market value by their insurance when theft, loss of the car happens.

Redlyne_mr2
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Values of used cars have gone down even more now with all the manufacturer rebates on the new models. Look to get less than blackbook for your trade in.

pinoyhero
01-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Very good point, I love when buyers look at these values and sellers totally ignore. Makes sense really but this est. vales dont constitute much but one persons opinion or a dealerships trade in value.