PDA

View Full Version : setting up new home theatre

wjjeeper
01-01-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm helping my dad set up his new home theatre system and need some help. He just purchased a Sony Bravia LCD, a Sony DVD Home Theatre system, and a Star Choice HD receiver.

I understand how to hook up the two Sony devices via a HDMI cable, but the Star Choice unit doesn't have HDMI output, only DVI.
My question is, if I get a HDMI/ DVI cable is that my solution for HD signal from the satellite box? It will carry both the sound and video correct?

PS - The tv has two HDMI inputs.

Thanks in advance.

HyperZell
01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Wrong, your HDMI/DVI cable will be video only. Get an optical cable for sound.

im2fst4u
01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I have the Starchoice DSR505 and I just use component cables to the TV and the optical output to the amplifier. I get 1080i out of the component cables.

RANT: This is one of my biggest issues with Starchoice...no HMDI output!

I have never tried the DVI to HDMI converter but if you are running a home theater, why would you want sound to the TV anyway?

EK 2.0
01-01-2008, 11:48 AM
MONSTER CABLES!!!

wjjeeper
01-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

PS- I've a firm believer that Monster Cables suck.

megavolt
01-01-2008, 01:00 PM
I think it's just a given that Monster Cables have to come up at least once in any home theatre post. I'm hoping EK2.0 was just getting it out of the way... :poosie:

EK 2.0
01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by megavolt

I think it's just a given that Monster Cables have to come up at least once in any home theatre post. I'm hoping EK2.0 was just getting it out of the way... :poosie:

;)

Maddog55
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
LOL EK...

I feel so sorry for all the naive customers who went in and bought HD tv's and got sucked into the "Monster Myth". FS and BB was conveniantly "sold out" of their 3rd party hdmi cables, but had tons of the 6 foot Monster HDMI cables for $142.00!!!!! :eek: they had some little gimmick package thing with it..didn't even bother to look at it.

I went to memory express and got a 6 foot HDMI cable for $19.95.
Over a short run like that, you're not gonna notice any difference between gold plated Monster cables and these no-name HDMI's.