PDA

View Full Version : good solid cell phone?

sea of ash
01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm in the market for a cell phone. I honestly just want something that is very good at the phone aspect and the text-messaging aspect of the phone (can type messages fast on it, doesn't drop calls, good call quality). I really don't care for music playback or camera quality as I have an ipod and a camera. Something that looks good would be a nice addition too.

CivicDXR
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
what service provider do you use? That will make a difference in what phones you can go with...

everyone will have their own opinion, but I'm a big sony ericsson fan, they've always been good to me... If you're going for a candybar (non flip), these would serve you well...

http://www.omegacell.com/Phones/Sony+Ericsson/Sony+Ericsson+K550i+Cybershot.html

http://www.omegacell.com/Phones/Sony+Ericsson/Sony+Ericsson+W610i.html

slick2404
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Sony Ericsson FTW. I've gone through so many, since the T610, to the w800, to the K750 and so many more in between. I think they make the most solid bar phones out there, and quickest to text with. They have decent cameras and music quality, even if it doesnt matter to you its a bonus.

I've had one Motorola, the Slvr...and to be honest that phone takes abuse well. It's gone through so many drunken nights, dropkicks and even in the wash. it still makes calls fine, texting was alright with it (moto software blows, so slow)...but the metal back and strong keypad make it really tough...

right now im using the iphone....far from solid, i baby it so much...but its software is great and its damn quick to text with and call quality is excellent, but if i dropped it ... i'd be heartbroken haha.

bball2
01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Using an iPhone right now, although I'd highly recommend it, you say you don't need it for the music so I'd have to go with any Sony Ericsson or Nokia phones. Great quality, and very reliable.

CivicDXR
01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
funny thing is... all the people that have responded in this thread are using iPhones right now (I think)... :poosie:

toyboy88
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
What provider first?

dino_martini
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
funny thing is... all the people that have responded in this thread are using iPhones right now (I think)... :poosie:

How do you get an iPhone to work in Canada? Dont you need to pop in a rogers sim card to make it work, but you cant open it up and put one in can you?

CivicDXR
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

How do you get an iPhone to work in Canada? Dont you need to pop in a rogers sim card to make it work, but you cant open it up and put one in can you?

I've got my Fido SIM running in mine right now... there is a SIM card slot just like all the other GSM phones...

Neil4Speed
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Nokia 6300 is a very solid phone which I am using right now.

Otherwise my old Sony T616 was superb.

dino_martini
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Dont buy a Samsung flip. Mine is shitty.

dizzle
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
i'd go with sony ericsson or blackberry.
you can depend on both these brands but i especially like the black berry pearl. the curve doesn't look too bad either, you should take a look at it!

i'm using the iphone as well and its great. sometimes its a hassle to call people and its not so friendly when using one hand to use the phone. other than that, the iphone is the best phone i used so far. since you do not need the media features, go with the blackberry. its great at texting and the quality to me, is pretty good.

arian_ma
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
He's with Fido so he's got a SIM.
I still think the iPhone is pretty good bang for buck specially when you consider the price of other phones without the contract.

cityhunter2501
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I personally love the Nokia E61.

quad-band phone, qwerty and wifi.
have mine for 10 months now and I have no plan to change any time soon because I can't go back to regular after using qwerty

you can buy one for around 250$ now, or get the E61i which has a 2MP camera for around 350$

liquidboi69
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Many of you haven't mentioned the talk time on your phones, I really like Neil's phone but... 3 hour talk time? thats it? thats ridiculous.

My friend has a Nokia 8801, and the battery on that is total shit.

I love the clean look of nokias, thats why I was looking into one, but the battery life on them totally deters me. I think sticking with and ericsson is a good bet.

My last 2 ericssons was a t610 and its pretty solid, doesnt break, easy to use, and looks nice and simple.

GQBalla
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
^^ lol i told you earl once you go qwerty you never go back.

if you need it i would suggest a smart phone.

even if you dont really need it but like the convinice(SP) i would suggest a treo.

treo 650 is a really easy phone, user friendly os and quite stable i would suggest.

i just picked up a treo 750 and alreaedy loaded up WM6 inplace of the factory WM5.

saiyajin
01-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
Many of you haven't mentioned the talk time on your phones, I really like Neil's phone but... 3 hour talk time? thats it? thats ridiculous.

My friend has a Nokia 8801, and the battery on that is total shit.

I love the clean look of nokias, thats why I was looking into one, but the battery life on them totally deters me. I think sticking with and ericsson is a good bet.

My last 2 ericssons was a t610 and its pretty solid, doesnt break, easy to use, and looks nice and simple.

both my nokias last me 3-4 days on what i would say average usage of texting and talking and music playback
they are the N73 and 6120classic

liquidboi69
01-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

both my nokias last me 3-4 days on what i would say average usage of texting and talking and music playback
they are the N73 and 6120classic

O wow? really? Ive been lookin at the Nokia 6300 as well. A nice simple phone thats nice and shiek. But was turned away by the 3 hour talk time and 9 hour standby time.

C4S
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
How about i phone? I have mine for 4 months .. even I am so dumb in technology stuff .. I know how to use it .. and it is so durable .. I have dropped it few times .. put it in water .. etc etc .. and it is still working!!! And it never drop calls! I have tried moto .. LG .. Samsung .. SE .. they all drop calls on stonytrail etc .. but not the iphone ..

Most important .. it is cheap .. $300 .. less then all other phone with same function! :thumbsup: