PDA

View Full Version : best peking duck in calgary???

petoria
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
i've been going to the same place for the last 10 years
Food In East in marlborough
by far the best peking duck anywhere in calgary

im2fst4u
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Sunridge Ginger Beef as it is prepared right in front of you and you know it's fresh!

Excellent duck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Speed_69
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
search please.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/145401/peking-duck/

icecreamvan
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by petoria

Do I have to kis ur as if I disagree?:dunno:

Melinda
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by petoria
If you've been going to the same place for 10 years, how do you know what the other places in calgary have to offer? If you haven't tried them all, you cant say your place is the best :)

We love peking duck, but every time we find a place that does a really good one, it's ass the next time we go. Not a whole lot of consistency in calgary, I can say that much!

dragonone
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
sunridge, but their other food is very bad

if u've been to the same place for the past 10 years and ur ok with it stay with it, u'll only be dissapointed by calgary

sputnik
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I like going to Peking Garden near Market Mall.

Rav4Guy
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Shan-Tung Restaurant on 14th ST NW by Kensington.

cdnsir
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Sunridge Ginger Beef for me too.

The fact that they carve it in front of you shows you they're giving you the whole duck. I find a few places in town gives you a lot less. Like they advertise it as a peking duck 3-course meal, but I think they only serve half the duck at the most.

sr20s14zenki
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Emerald Palace i think its called, its in the plaza thats on the corner of mcknight and 52nd i think....anyways, really good peking duck there.

TomcoPDR
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

Do I have to kis ur as if I disagree?:dunno:

Hahahaha Ha guys

Originally posted by cdnsir
Sunridge Ginger Beef for me too.

The fact that they carve it in front of you shows you they're giving you the whole duck. I find a few places in town gives you a lot less. Like they advertise it as a peking duck 3-course meal, but I think they only serve half the duck at the most.

Hope they're wearing gloves

dragonone
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
i remember that they do wear gloves (thin transparent ones)

but say they don't wear gloves and start carving, would you tell them to bring you another one?:dunno:

gmoney82
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
how about the worst peking duck i had was in beijing (birthplace of the dish). We went on a tour from hk and for one of our last dinners, our 'treat' was to goto a restaurant famous for its duck.

Our visions of the 'holy grail of peking' duck was brought back to reality by the sight of a tray of sad looking duck that was dry, burnt and at best 'food'. but as for calgary, ginger beef in sunridge is pretty good

01RedDX
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM

urban.one
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
the employee wears gloves all the time... prepping food, serving food, handling money, bathroom etc.

Originally posted by dragonone
i remember that they do wear gloves (thin transparent ones)

but say they don't wear gloves and start carving, would you tell them to bring you another one?:dunno:

Rav4Guy
01-02-2008, 08:02 PM
^ same gloves I'd bet. :barf:

^AznDragon
01-03-2008, 12:55 AM
sunridge

Disoblige
12-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Bump for 2012/2013!

Where does everyone think is the best place for Peking Duck presently?

I forbid anyone to mention Happy Hill because that place only gives you the Peking Duck fix for cheap, but no where good in terms of quality haha.

Blue
12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Gee Gong Restaurant :drool:

TYMSMNY
12-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Ginger Beef in Country Hills. :thumbsup:

JordanEG6
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Blue

I'll have to agree here. The lunch specials are awesome too.

CRXguy
12-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Blue

3 course for $23.99!

bleu
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
My family enjoys Silver Dragon's peking duck.

Gee Gong is good too!

ExtraSlow
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
everything about gee gong is awesome.

max_boost
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

3 course for $23.99!

So cheap! :eek:

Originally posted by bleu
My family enjoys Silver Dragon's peking duck.

Gee Gong is good too!

Silver Dragon for sure, where all the white people go. :D

GQBalla
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
ill have to try gee gong.

Tai pan is 29.99 for 3 course i think

shutterbug_art8
12-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Gee Gong. They have the best wraps.

D'z Nutz
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Peking Garden

clem24
12-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Ginger Beef in Country Hills. :thumbsup:

We've been a few times now and I think what really sets them apart is their hand made wraps. They are perfectly thin and very tasty. Go on weekdays if you want to save money but oddly, on the weekends when you pay more, it actually does taste better and I don't know why (and crowded like shit too RSVP).

bleu
12-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Silver Dragon for sure, where all the white people go. :D

Well we are pretty white. :dunno:

Totally craving peking duck. I will def. have to go next week. :D

artieg30
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
werd that ginger beef restaurant up in country hills is baller.... i wonder if it's the same cooks as the ones from the Sunridge ginger beef?!

cancer man
12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
After eating it at Picollo China Florence Italy nothing comes close here.
Now my mouth is watering..Ginger Beef House is pretty good.

nonofyobiz
12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
+1 for Peking Garden

GQBalla
12-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Is gee gong or ginger beef open today?
Craving Peking duck

TYMSMNY
12-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Is gee gong or ginger beef open today?
Craving Peking duck

Ginger Beef is in Country Hills... just had Dim Sum there.

bigbadboss101
01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
I like Peking Garden, for that and other food. Haven't tried Ginger Beef for duck but will try since it's near by. Gee Gong is the little hole in the wall place isn't it?

r3ccOs
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
gee gong have amazing specials

lobster chow mein
good peking duck
salt & pepper shrimp
beef brisket stew

TomcoPDR
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
I wish Peking Peking would start offering Peking duck courses

R-Audi
01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Im a whitey... so take it for what its worth, but I like the Regency Peking duck.. comes as 3 courses.

1barA4
01-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Eastgate on 17ave se.

Multiple health violations = delicious authentic chinese food

Plus it's cheap for what you get (sub $30 for 3 course + free fried fish)

BigDL
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 1barA4
Eastgate on 17ave se.

Multiple health violations = delicious authentic chinese food

Plus it's cheap for what you get (sub $30 for 3 course + free fried fish)

Cheap but not the best, also the free fried fish is only on the Chinese menu not the regular English menu. Though last time I had it the fried fish was quite tasty :P

clem24
01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BigDL

Cheap but not the best, also the free fried fish is only on the Chinese menu not the regular English menu. Though last time I had it the fried fish was quite tasty :P

The fried fish is flounder and it's freakin' awesome. Haven't been lately but East Gate was our go to place until it was taken over by EIs. Anyone been lately? Still decent?

Disoblige
01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I dunno, I went to East Gate a couple years ago and it was terrible haha.
I just remember telling myself to never try that place ever again.

summerlove.xo
01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
I've tried the Country Hills Ginger Beef and the Ginger Beef on Macleod Trail (next to the Chapters?) twice in the last month.. haha. I found that the food was consistent at both places, and I really liked the wraps! And it was reasonably priced, $38.00 for the three course (on a Thursday I believe).

clem24
01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
What's REALLY good at the Ginger Beef is their roast pig. The skin is thin and crispy and the meat is tender and succulent. Definitely some of the best I've had in the city. Not sure if they have it in the South location but definitely at the North one. And you must eat it there (i.e. can't bring it home).

CompletelyNumb
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Seems pretty split between Gee Gong and Ginger Beef...

I've never had peking duck in my life. Going to get some next week though. May just try both places and see what the differences are.

SilverGS
01-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Yes the fish is yummy.

Originally posted by Disoblige
I dunno, I went to East Gate a couple years ago and it was terrible haha.
I just remember telling myself to never try that place ever again.

It was run by an east indian fellow for a while and got really bad but now its back to be run by the guy who ran it 4 years ago i think

Eastgate peking duck is pretty good for the value. I don't know if it's the best but it decent and with the fish the value is fantastic.

Originally posted by summerlove.xo
I've tried the Country Hills Ginger Beef and the Ginger Beef on Macleod Trail (next to the Chapters?) twice in the last month.. haha. I found that the food was consistent at both places, and I really liked the wraps! And it was reasonably priced, $38.00 for the three course (on a Thursday I believe).

$38.00 is expensive. You want sub $30 for a good price.

secol
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
yeah should be ~10 per course

HKjai
02-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Tai pan on 16th across sun's restaurant and beside the ramen restaurant (forgot name XD) cheap and good give it a try? 29.99 for 4 dish CANT GO WRONG

Disoblige
02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by HKjai
Tai pan on 16th across sun's restaurant and beside the ramen restaurant (forgot name XD) cheap and good give it a try? 29.99 for 4 dish CANT GO WRONG
How would you compare the quality with say, Happy Hill?

Happy Hill is kinda shitty in the first place for peking duck (just good for a fix), but wanted to know if it's worse than Happy Hill.

TYMSMNY
02-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Wait... we going for BEST (regardless of price) or.. BEST as in good value. My asianess is all stirred up.

CompletelyNumb
02-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Best quality.

HKjai
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

How would you compare the quality with say, Happy Hill?

Happy Hill is kinda shitty in the first place for peking duck (just good for a fix), but wanted to know if it's worse than Happy Hill.

i haven't tried happy hill before so i cant really give you a feedback i apologize, but with recommendation through family and friends in town top 3 for my personal choice are
1) edgemont palace (NW)
2) country hills ginger beef (NE/NW)
3)tai pan (center street)

clem24
02-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by HKjai

Is this inside the apartment block? Where the Malaysian place used to be? Ramen place is called Shikiji.

xolemonteaox
02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Is this inside the apartment block? Where the Malaysian place used to be? Ramen place is called Shikiji. Yep, that's the one.

clem24
02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Is this the same Tai Pan shit hole that used to be in Chinatown (inside the ghetto apartments on 3rd)?

G
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Is this the same Tai Pan shit hole that used to be in Chinatown (inside the ghetto apartments on 3rd)?
Yep, that's the one.

1barA4
02-05-2013, 09:20 AM

I order in English and we get it :dunno:

But I'm ethnically Chinese-Vietnamese fwiw

flipstah
02-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Wait... we going for BEST (regardless of price) or.. BEST as in good value. My asianess is all stirred up.

I like the way you think lol.

Guess I'll be trying out Gee Gong. That's the one opposite of U&Me with the duck hanging out in the front?

Never been to Tai Pan but there's a butcher shop nearby that location on Centre St. that has THE best roasted pork I've ever had. :drool:

Right beside a pho restaurant that's supposedly really good too. :hitit:

Stunt66
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
We tried that east gate place last year and tbh it was quite a shock at how good the food tasted. I grew up around the corner and never looked twice at that place. The only reason I would ever go back to that place would be for that fried fish but other than that theres no need. The place is easily the dumpiest asian place ive been in. The food was good the 2 times we went but the place is really rundown.

Ginger beef is good for peking duck and theres also another place called shanghai classic(behind the macs and coop on center and beddington) thats pretty good.

clem24
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
We tried that east gate place last year and tbh it was quite a shock at how good the food tasted. I grew up around the corner and never looked twice at that place. The only reason I would ever go back to that place would be for that fried fish but other than that theres no need. The place is easily the dumpiest asian place ive been in. The food was good the 2 times we went but the place is really rundown.

No way... Even been to Ho Won in Chinatown..? Don't know if they're still there. I usually judge a place by how clean the tables are (you can't use the washroom to judge because Chinese people have some of the WORST washroom habits in earth - just take a flight from YVR to HKG and you'll see). Absolutely the worst I have ever seen in Bobby Chao's (in their new location in Edgemont). They wiped the table with a cloth that was absolutely filthy and it stunk. And this wasn't just a one off. They've gotten better recently but still. You gotta pay a price for good Chinese.

The best method is to visit a Chinese place right after they get cited for a health violation. It'll be sparkly clean.

Stunt66
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Thats pretty scary if you're saying ho won and bobby chaos are worse. Haven't been to either but i heard ho won was good. I know what you mean about that nasty rag though:cry:. Pho thanh does that and because theyre so busy theyll seat you just as they're cleaning the table and its still wet from the rag

flipstah
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Eh, who cares? You're not eating off the table.

Unless you follow the 5-second rule.

Which I do.

:dunno:

clem24
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Eh, who cares? You're not eating off the table.

Unless you follow the 5-second rule.

Which I do.

Um when the table stinks and that's all you can smell when eating, then yeah, I care hahaha.

flipstah
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Um when the table stinks and that's all you can smell when eating, then yeah, I care hahaha.

Okay, well that's different lol.

Stunt66
02-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Bingo!!

Disoblige
02-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Just ate at Gee Gong. Place is bomb for peking duck. They're so busy today haha. Quality cuts, great price, puts Happy Hill to shame. They also ran out of duck shortly after we ordered too.

CompletelyNumb
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
I tried to go to gee gong. Apparently they're closed Wednesdays.

:bullshit: :banghead:

KRyn
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Hit up Gee Gong last Saturday with a buddy. The Peking duck was good, but we could have used 2x more duck for the wraps! :drool:

Question, do they server that BBQ sausage there as well? I need to get me some next time.

taemo
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Gee Gong is my go to place for some chinese BBQ.
But Wai's BBQ House on Center St/3rd ave (30meters west of U&Me) has some good roasted pork and duck too.
Best of all you can buy rice and 2 meats lunch combo for $7 IIRC

secol
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
that place is super cheap, but i remember the quality being meh....for the price can't complain though

smartcar
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
The best method is to visit a Chinese place right after they get cited for a health violation. It'll be sparkly clean.
Interesting way to look at it. My favourite place for Peking duck just got a big fine :(
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Restaurant+fined+unsanitary+conditions/9552017/story.html

Manhattan
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Gee Gong went outta bidness. :thumbsdow

ExtraSlow
02-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Very sad to see Gee Gong close down. I really liked that place. What's the go-to for low-atmosphere, good food these days in chinatown?

phreezee
02-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Speaking of which, Sun's BBQ just re-opened :D

flipstah
02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Speaking of which, Sun's BBQ just re-opened :D

YEESSSS :thumbsup: :drool:

n1zm0
02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Very sad to see Gee Gong close down. I really liked that place.

:werd: since I was a kid that place was my favourite out of all the Calgary Courts/Happy Valleys etc that sprung up a later

On a sidenote, anyone remember when they used to sell the BBQ'd orange coloured squid alongside Charsui/BBQ duck? whatever happened to that offering?

botox
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
DIY!! The wraps are super easy to make and we always have a stack of them in the freezer ready to go. Dinner is usually ready in about 20 minutes. The wife will start steaming the wrappers and I'll go pickup the duck. She'll slice up the duck when I get back cause I'm too slow at it and I'll slice up the cucumbers or other veggies. It's so easy that we do it for parties and get togethers with some other side dishes all the time. Everyone loves them and there isn't much to clean up. Just have to make sure other kids are washing their hands after they are done cause they can be quite greasy. The duck carcass gets dumped into the soup pot.

CRXguy
02-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Gee Gong went outta bidness. :thumbsdow

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Blue
02-27-2014, 05:47 AM
haha yeah, but it wasn't their fault for going out of business

95EG6P
02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by botox
DIY!! The wraps are super easy to make and we always have a stack of them in the freezer ready to go. Dinner is usually ready in about 20 minutes. The wife will start steaming the wrappers and I'll go pickup the duck. She'll slice up the duck when I get back cause I'm too slow at it and I'll slice up the cucumbers or other veggies. It's so easy that we do it for parties and get togethers with some other side dishes all the time. Everyone loves them and there isn't much to clean up. Just have to make sure other kids are washing their hands after they are done cause they can be quite greasy. The duck carcass gets dumped into the soup pot.
where do you buy the wraps from or you have to make it from scratch

BigDL
02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

where do you buy the wraps from or you have to make it from scratch

My mom buys hers from Ginger Beef, the one by Harvest Hills.

95EG6P
02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

My mom buys hers from Ginger Beef, the one by Harvest Hills.

what that sick how many do you have to buy and how much is it thanks :clap:

botox
02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
We make them from scratch. Just need flour and water. You can even get creative and add flavor to them but we just make them like the restaurants. Also helps that the mother in law is retired and likes to cook so she always has a pile of them if we run out or just too lazy to make them ourselves.

max_boost
02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Can get the wraps at Lambda supermarket right next to Sun's BBQ