PDA

View Full Version : Boy killed after neighbour shoots gun at trash

anarchy
01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.local10.com/news/14961635/detail.html
Boy, 11, Killed After Neighbor Shoots Gun At Trash
Police Say Man Was Celebrating New Year's By Shooting Weapon

OPA-LOCKA, Fla. -- An 11-year-old boy who was hiding behind an old piece of furniture at an Opa-Locka apartment was shot and killed after his neighbor celebrated the New Year by shooting a gun into the trash.

Police said Zenon Fernandez shot his neighbor Joshua Arroliga after Fernandez, 49, randomly fired a semiautomatic handgun into a trash pile of old furniture near a Dumpster, not knowing the boy was there.

Police believe Fernandez was ushering in the New Year around 11:15 p.m. Monday by shooting the gun.

"My brother was hiding behind the couch and the guy saw a bunch of couches and he shot into them and shot my brother," said Joshua's brother, Marvin, who said the two were playing hide and seek.

Investigators said Arroliga was shot multiple times and was hit at least once in the head.

Police said they believe Fernandez fired the weapon into the trash and old furniture, and not into the air because he thought that it would be safer.

"We constantly tell the public not to use firearms to celebrate the New Year and the Fourth of July and here's a case where an 11-year-old child lost his life needlessly," said Detective Carlos Maura of the Miami-Dade police department.

Fernandez initially fled the scene, according to police. He later turned himself in to the North Miami Police Department. He is charged with one count of manslaughter.

"They already got him, but that won't bring my brother back, you know?" said Marvin Arroliga.

They need some better gun control. But what was he doing shooting a gun to celebrate the new year? And what was 11 year old doing playing hide and seek outside at 11 pm??

Toms-SC
01-02-2008, 02:06 PM
In before: Only in the states! crew

snowboard
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
In before: Only in the states! crew

your reALLlllllly trying to get your post count up aren't you?

phrozen
01-02-2008, 02:22 PM
you post the stupidest non-related to canada or related to
world news crap ever...:bullshit:

AdvanR
01-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I bet that boy was actually watching the guy play with a gun not playing hide and seek

spikerS
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
what kind of parents let thier 11 year old kids play hide and seek in an alley at 11:15PM? :banghead:

Melinda
01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
"We constantly tell the public not to use firearms to celebrate the New Year and the Fourth of July and here's a case where an 11-year-old child lost his life needlessly," said Detective Carlos Maura of the Miami-Dade police department.
How sick is it that people need to be reminded and taught not to randomly fire guns off to celebrate things? Are people seriously that dim-witted that they can't find some other fun thing to do instead?

TomcoPDR
01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
what's the world coming to, RIP

Kona9
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by spikers
what kind of parents let thier 11 year old kids play hide and seek in an alley at 11:15PM? :banghead:

Who celebrates New Years 45 minutes too early?

2 Solid Questions!

Mr_ET
01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I can see parents who don't take care of their children that well letting them play outside at 11:15 pm on New Year's Eve.

I am much angrier about the stupid dumbass who thinks firing a gun at a dumpster is anything festive...

randedge
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Who celebrates New Years 45 minutes too early?

2 Solid Questions! [/QUOTE]

You talkin' about the guy who fired his gun 45 minutes too early? WEll, maybe he had crates upon crates of ammo to last him that last 3 quarters of an hour.

street
01-02-2008, 11:25 PM
i guess people are to stupid to go buy fireworks or something