PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Licence/car

Jay7779
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
So, im finally gonna bite the bullet and go and schedule to take my road test, and i need to know what im getting into. I'm 20 years old, and i've had my learners for 6 years, plus my dads a farmer, so i've been driving for longer than i can remember, and i think that im a fairly decent driver. Although, i need to know what specifically they'll be testing for so I can do some mock tests with my friends or parents beforehand.

And does anybody know how much it costs to take the road test? or how long the waiting period is between scheduling and the test itself?

I also have a car I need to register, does anybody know how much it'll set me back? I get alot of crazy answers when i ask friends/co-workers, and chances are you guys know alot better ($40-400 is a pretty big friggen gap, so i dont know who to trust).

Thanks in advance

sr20s14zenki
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Registration is about 70$ for a year, have you thought about insurance?

heres more food for thought, i personally think you should take a drivers training course, and heres why

1. they show you what to expect on the exam, and basically teach you to drive

2. It will give you a MUCH better insurance rate, 10% off of your total rate.

the course will cost you like 250$, but its well worth it, believe me. They will get rid of all of your bad habits, which im sure you have, not being trained by a professional.

88CRXGUY
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
^^I agree with this poster, I did the course 4 years ago and it saved me a 1000 a year on my car insurance. Spending 250 to save a 1000 bucks is pretty good.

When it comes to car insurance you are going to have to phone and see what you can get, more than likely you are driving a pos so don't get full coverage. You need insurance before you can register the vehicle.

Jay7779
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I talked to an insurance agent not to long ago when my sister bought her new car, and he gave me some rough quotes, one for if i was to take driver training, and one if i wasnt, and it was only about a $150/year difference, which doesnt seem that worthwhile to me. Plus between school and work its hard to find the time/cash for much of anything.

sr20s14zenki
01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
^^ well for god sakes atlest take a defensive driving course, YOU may think you know how to drive, but you may not necissarily know how to drive correctly...too many parents teaching kids how to drive these days, and the parents have bad habits, and they get passed on to the kids, and the next thing you know, more bad drivers are on our roads. Im not saying for 100% that your parents are bad drivers, but they could have bad habits that need to be adressed.

Eleanor
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jay7779
Plus between school and work its hard to find the time/cash for much of anything.

20 year old male student who just got his license? I wouldn't want to see your insurance quotes.

sr20s14zenki
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
^^^heres another thing, if you get drivers training, youll start at driver record 3, versus driving record 0 if you dont. So basically, if you take drivers training, its same as being counted as driving for 3 years....if you dont, you have driven 0 years.

88CRXGUY
01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Then maybe you should reconcider your priorities and save some money rather than driving a pos car, and giving us the indiction that you know how to drive. Just because you drive on a farm doesn't mean you know how to drive on a city road. When the only thing you have to hit on the farm is a fence, animals etc, is alot different then driving on a city street when they're other cars, signs, pedistrians etc. Save yourself the hassle and just take the course.

New2Talon
01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree that defensive driving/triving course is a good idea, but ask around (friends/coworkers) which ones actually teach you things...

When me/my friend took DD course a few years back, our instructor was a totally useless tit, as far as actual instruction goes. About all he told me was to keep my hands at 10/2. Albeit we were broke students then, and just looked for the cheapest place that gives you insurance deductions...

If I were to do it again I would probably go with a better course, something along the lines of AMA (although they might be just as shitty...)

As for testing goes, they get you to do a bit of regular driving (residential), take you through a school/playground zone, uncontrolled intersection, merge onto/off of highway and either parallel or hill park. Sometimes both.

Numi
01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I would go through randy's driving school 400$ and they pretty much hand you your license come your exam.

88CRXGUY
01-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Well shit I'm sure that makes people feel more comfortable to having someone hand over 400 bucks and get handed their license. That seems pretty steep for just a driving course, when I did mine it was 170.

Numi
01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
well no its like defensive driving course for a week.
Than your road test but maybe its just me, I found it easy.

onehawtrex
01-04-2008, 01:31 AM
if i were to take a DD course mine would have only went down 300 a year so i didnt really care....but for the first question it cost me 44 bucks to get my licence but that was only road course with my own car b4 GDL came in....so i dunnno how it works not

Numi
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
b4 my courses it was like 2200$ just for basic insurance and after courses which cost 400$ it was 1600$. So over one year you save 200$ but i was only 16 than too.

jsn
01-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Honestly, in a year or two you would probably already get your moneys worth. I'd take the course if I were you. I'm not saying you're a bad driver or anything but theres always the bad habits that you pick up that you may not be aware of. i.e., not stopping a full 2 seconds at a stop sign, etc. Another example is that my instructor told me that I'd be docked marks if I did not show the examiner that I checked the mirrors for correct positioning, even if i was the one driving the car previously. Just an example of something small that I would not have thought to do unless i was told prior. They'll teach you everything you need for the exam, especially all the little things that they look for, and are usually pretty anal about. Most will even schedule a time for your exam after you've completed the course (I took the exam on the exam on the same day i finished the course)

Jay7779
01-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, I got my licence against your peoples wishes, so if you see me on the street, make sure swerve to avoid.

Then maybe you should reconcider your priorities

What exactly does that mean? Put the money that i could spend on you know..books..rent..tuiton.......or food towards something that i don't neccisarily need?

The fact of the matter is I am a better driver than the majority of my friends that did take a DD course. I passed my road test without a single mark deducted, and as it stands I dont personally know a single person who has done that regardless of wether or not the took any courses.

Maybe at sometime I will take a course, but right now its not feasable or likely. And I'd like to thank anybody who actually answered my questions rather than lecturing me about how I'm the scum of the universe.

asuth077
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
You tell them!