PDA

View Full Version : Intake whine?

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 08:09 AM
I put my intake on last night right before the 403 meet. I notice that around 3000rpms during acceleration it whistles or whines briefly. Its actually kind of annoying. Does anyone know if I just have to tighten up the connections or do I just turn up my stereo?

Thanks,
Trevor

redline
08-01-2002, 08:26 AM
turn up the stereo, most intakes will do that...

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Pretend its turbo.
Mine makes that whine/whirring sound about 2500rpms at a certain pressure on the gas pedal. Aside from, there nothing to worry about.

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Yeah, cuz If I let off the pedal a bit, the noise dies. I just wasn't sure because I have had intakes on 2 previous cars and nothing whined. Thanks for your help

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 09:24 AM
Mine kinda sounds like its sucking in air like crazy at that RPM.
What were you're your other 2 cars?
And are we talking CAI? That's what I've got whining.

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 09:30 AM
I had a CAI on a '94 Probe GT, a short intake on a '00 Acura 1.6EL, and a short intake on the Accord. Its not a strong whine. I might just double check and make sure everything is tight enough, for peace of minds sake.

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 09:37 AM
You still have your EL???

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2002, 09:41 AM
most of them whine..it is annoying it sounds like your brakes are done

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 10:07 AM
No. I bought the EL for my 18th Birthday. Drove it for 10 months, put almost 40K on it :D , and sold it.
To be honest, I wasn't happy with it at all. I liked the styling of it, but the interior finish/design just wasn't up to par in my mind. I like the Accord much better by far!

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Hey, that EL is hell of a lot better than my sorry ass Civic sedan. Lousy Japanese and keeping us from getting anything decent on this side of the planet. I'd love to have a b16a sedan like them.

Is your Accord Vtec?? I forget Accord model/specs.

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 11:43 AM
Yeah, my Accord is vtec. If I remember correctly its got 150hp / 152tq (yes! a Honda with more tq than hp!!!) Its too bad Honda didn't give the option of a manual transmission on the V6 Accords. I'm pretty sure its a 2.4L but I don't know the engine code. Lets just say I'm not mechanically inclined ;)

The Raptor
08-02-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I put my intake on last night right before the 403 meet. I notice that around 3000rpms during acceleration it whistles or whines briefly. Its actually kind of annoying. Does anyone know if I just have to tighten up the connections or do I just turn up my stereo?

Thanks,
Trevor

Did you get an AEM intake, cuz when I got mine I noticed it big time on mine.. .and it was very annoying at first but then after awhile I just talked myself into thinking it was a supercharger whine! haha... but yes, it's normal apparently becuz of the amount of air (or the increase there of) its sucking in...

GTS Jeff
08-02-2002, 02:26 AM
Yeah, my Accord is vtec. If I remember correctly its got 150hp / 152tq (yes! a Honda with more tq than hp!!!) Its too bad Honda didn't give the option of a manual transmission on the V6 Accords. I'm pretty sure its a 2.4L but I don't know the engine code. Lets just say I'm not mechanically inclined ;) It's a 2.3L SOHC VTEC engine. The code is F23A. The Accords coming out in September are 2.4L though.

BarryBeach
08-02-2002, 03:17 AM

Thanks,
Trevor

This is why you buy VW. You don't get the Whining noise you get a GROWL ... my buddy just put a Nuespeed intake on his 99 GTI VR6 and well honestly when he flooors it you hear a Growl. it sounds sooooo sweet :D

BarryBeach
08-02-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by BarryBeach

This is why you buy VW. You don't get the Whining noise you get a GROWL ... my buddy just put a Nuespeed intake on his 99 GTI VR6 and well honestly when he floors it you hear a low rumble that gets louder with the heavy foot. it sounds sooooo sweet :D

HRD2PLZ
08-02-2002, 08:15 AM

This is why you buy VW. You don't get the Whining noise you get a GROWL ... my buddy just put a Nuespeed intake on his 99 GTI VR6 and well honestly when he flooors it you hear a Growl. it sounds sooooo sweet :D

I like some german cars. My mom has a Passat GLX and its a huge peice of crap. Plus, I couldn't find the exact Jetta I wanted when I was looking. I actually think she wants to get rid of it, take my dads MDX and let him get a Boxter. SLK, or something :dunno:

I knew Shei (sp?) put an intake on his GTI. My sister was telling me about it a week or so ago. Might be the difference between a 4cyl and a 6cyl though.

My intake growls more at higher rpms. It now whine's briefly around 3000rpms, if I let off or give the car more gas, the noise goes away :dunno:

The Raptor
08-02-2002, 11:30 PM

uh yea... you only get the whine for a bit and then you get the VTEC growl... maybe I should run my ITR by you just so you can hear the "growl" :rolleyes:

CRXguy
08-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by The Raptor

uh yea... you only get the whine for a bit and then you get the VTEC growl... maybe I should run my ITR by you just so you can hear the "growl" :rolleyes:

LOL!

Be sure to put on some earplugs kids.:D :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
08-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Heavens no!!! You might as well just stand on the runway at the airport!!!!

Audi Kid
08-03-2002, 05:50 PM
no shit man!! u scared me on a cruise one time!! i thought there as like an f14 beside me!! shieeet

GT2NV
08-03-2002, 06:34 PM
man i really wanna hear this car:thumbsup: i know civic_rida's 2000 sir sounds crazy when he hits vtec with /i/e/
i wanna hear an ITR:thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
08-03-2002, 09:05 PM

This I've got to hear some time.
We should get a meet and sit around and listen to cars growl.:thumbsup: