PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have trouble sleeping?

brucebanner
01-03-2008, 03:41 AM
It seems more often then not I dont get a good nights sleep. A few hours every night, some less then others, some more then others. I dont really know why I have a sleeping problem though. I am not stressed out about anything (life, work, etc).

I have cut out sugar after a certain time to see if that would help, that failed. I dont really want to try sleeping pills, not something I would want to get hooked on, or need to take just to sleep.

Anyone else have similar problems sleeping? Anyone have a solution? Recomendations?

Destinova403
01-03-2008, 03:43 AM
gravol man... i know its probably not a good thing to recomend... but it knocks me out for 6 hours right away...

my problem is that my cycle is all messed up... during school i sleep from like 12-9... but now im sleeping from like 3/4-12/1 lol its going to be brutal when i need to get back to class...

msommers
01-03-2008, 03:46 AM
^^^X2

boxer23
01-03-2008, 03:52 AM
Go work out at the gym and eat a full dinner until your stomach hurts, and do that periodically when you have time...that will get you tired enough to go to sleep

googe
01-03-2008, 04:02 AM
its pretty hard to say, so many people have sleep issues for so many reasons. sleeping pills are no good, but you might want to try melatonin. any health food store has it, its something your body is supposed to produce naturally to regulate your sleep/wake cycle. its produced when you're exposed to darkness and makes you tired. aside from prescription drugs, its the only real treatment i have heard of, besides the old "eat right and get plenty of exercise" recommendation.

dont take too much though, i recall reading that once you take over a certain amount, the effect is lost again. start with a 3-5 mg pill, if it isnt helping then try two.

svtlight
01-03-2008, 04:03 AM
may seem weird but my friend put a fish tank in his room and he just watches it and falls asleep. Worked for years now.

adam c
01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
i've been there before..

i had to take sleeping pills for 3 days straight before i could actually fall asleep on my own, i missed my gf so much when she went to vietnam it sucked sleeping by myself.

and now, that we have broken up i find it hard to either fall asleep or stay asleep or usually both. ur probably stressed even though you don't think you are, or ur body is fatigued.. try waking up earlier in the morning to ensure that your tired when u goto bed at night

teggypimp95
01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Dont eat too close to bed, that may keep you awake.
My gf has to sleep with a fan or she cant sleep. She likes just the noise and the feel of the wind.
Try a glass of hot milk before bed. Some people say that works.
If you like wine, have a glass of wine before bed. That works for many people and one glass of wine a day is good for you anyway.

Swank
01-03-2008, 09:34 AM
If possible, go to bed and get up the same time every day (yes, even weekends). That will help your internal clock reset.

rated_R
01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
My gf has to sleep with a fan or she cant sleep. She likes just the noise and the feel of the wind.

That's exactly my problem too...if someone wants to wake me up they just turn the fan off and I'm wide awake

Datsun-Fever
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Whenever i fall out of my cycle i just stay up all night and go to sleep at 7-8 the next evening and it makes everything right...

Jlude
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever
Whenever i fall out of my cycle i just stay up all night and go to sleep at 7-8 the next evening and it makes everything right...

I have trouble sleeping every once in a while... so I'll stay up for a day and a half then pass out that night and be fine the next day.

01RedDX
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM

tom_9109
01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Lorazepam will solve your problem

bigboom
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
do you drink coffee? tea? try cutting the caffeine out of your diet and see if it works.

teggypimp95
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Also try not to do anything right before bed that invoves alot of thinking or an intense movie. Your brain could still be going and thinking alot keeping you awake. I like to read a car magazine in bed to help relax me and clear my mind. Also something to try.

Speed_69
01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I highly suggest Melatonin pills like 'googe' said up there. I use to take them when I had sleeping problems and I slept great afterwards. You can find them in health food stores like GNC.

teggypimp95
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I would try the alternate methods first. You dont want your body to become reliant on pills in order to sleep.

Datsun-Fever
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Probably the best advice. :thumbsup:

Not a good idea if you have a job... or a life :rolleyes:

or if your a little girl... :rolleyes:

cdnsir
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Work out late in the afternoon to get a bit tired, then resist all temptation to take a nap after you get home/eat. After that, you should fell pretty tired by the end of the night.

Keep that up for a couple of weeks and get into bed about the same time every night, and you should be able to reset your body clock.

brucebanner
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
A few people I know have suggested the melatonin route, so I think I might give that a chance. As far as coffee goes, I dont like it at all so no, I drink tea every once and a while, I doubt that caffeine is my problem.

I dont eat anything after supper most of the time anyways. I have tried the, just stay up and be extremely tired and sleep well that night and it does work for me sometimes.

I know all though middle school and high school I ALWAYS used to fall asleep watching tv or a movie but I havent been doing that since HS and that has been four years now. Now when I cant sleep I find myself going to the couch to watch a movie or tv something that eventually just puts me to sleep for the few hours I do get.

Maybe ill stop by the GNC today after work and get some melatonin since it is something I should be producing.

craigcd
01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by rated_R

That's exactly my problem too...if someone wants to wake me up they just turn the fan off and I'm wide awake

Fan FTW, i have been sleeping with a fan on for years. If I ever stay anywhere and cant find a fan before bed im screwed!

jay42w8
01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
SAMe, Melatonin, 5HTP....these are what people come into buy for that at my weekend job :thumbsup:

ashee
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I got a humidifier and its helped me...

XylathaneGTR
01-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I've had that problem a lot, and am immune to at least one perscription sleeping pill :(

A big thing is having a "routine" to physically prepare yourself to sleep. Something simple like reading for a half hour before, and then drinking a glass of water. Doing that (or a similar, non stimulating routine) everytime you are about to sleep can over time, help your body adjust to a regular sleeping pattern.

Another thing to help keep yourself on a good routine is to not sleep during the day (obviously) and only use your bed when you are actually supposed to be sleeping (as in, don't lay around in your room watching TV on your bed in the middle of the day, for example.)

Also, if you're having trouble "turning off your mind" or anything along those lines, try deep breathing. Breath in deeply (thru your nose) for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, and breath out through your mouth for 4 seconds. Repeat 2 or 3 times, take a few normal breaths, then repeat that whole cycle.

If you're still feeling tense, while doing the breathing exercises, try tensing and relaxing your muscles. Start with your feet, tense up every muscle you can, hold it, then relax it. repeat. Then move up to your lower legs, your thighs, etc and work up to your face.

Sometimes if i'm stressed out about something and cant sleep, that process will help relax me to the point where i can get a nice sleep.

I havn't tried Melatonin before, but that's where i'll be heading next if my sleep isn't regulated by a week or so into the semester.

SaturnV
01-10-2008, 06:29 AM
I would also suggest that you try a fan. The noise and air movement can be very relaxing.

Originally posted by craigcd

Fan FTW, i have been sleeping with a fan on for years. If I ever stay anywhere and cant find a fan before bed im screwed!

lol, most of the fans I own were bought out of town for exactly this reason. :nut:

Konj
01-10-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ajUewCO6zQ&feature=related

turbotrip
01-10-2008, 07:19 AM
these last few weeks have been pretty bad, the days i can sleep early i fall asleep around 12ish and wake up at 4 and then sleep again from 11-5. and the days when i have something to do and cant sleep around 12 i end up staying awake all night and falling asleep from like 12-6. its 6:15 am now and im just about to go to sleep...

Kona9
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
FAP

sr20s14zenki
01-10-2008, 08:22 AM
^^^+1

Kritafo
01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I have been sleeping with a fan for years and years. the minute the fan goes off, I am wide awake. I sometimes turn on our bathroom exhaust fan if I am having fan problems. It's so bad I have a backup fan, and a fan that I take when I travel. Some hotel don't have fans, or they aren't loud enough to drown out the noises. So I just bring my own. My husband thinks it's funny but agreed when we were at a hotel in Saskatoon for New years and it was loud but the kids didn't have any issues sleeping and it was because of the fan.

But recently like since Christmas holidays I have been sleeping like crap as well, I don't very often have sleep issues. The heat has been way down for bed, fan on, nice dark room, good pillows...and awake by 4:30 am almost everyday. It's so frustrating to be so tired all day long.

l/l/rX
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
how about nightmares? this is a pshycologic thing right?

lately past 3 er 4 days i've been having the craziest dreams, sometimes scary, sometimes not, but even then i always wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat.

i go to the bathroom, rinse my face in some water. go back to sleep. then when i really do have to wake up i still find myself drenched in sweat.

it fucking sucks. i've been changing my sheets so often lately. :banghead: :banghead: its frustrating not getting a good nights sleep.

94teg
01-10-2008, 12:56 PM

That's my problem to, can't sleep without the fan... Im actually suprised this problem seems to be popular.

Darkane
01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
It seems more often then not I dont get a good nights sleep. A few hours every night, some less then others, some more then others. I dont really know why I have a sleeping problem though. I am not stressed out about anything (life, work, etc).

I have cut out sugar after a certain time to see if that would help, that failed. I dont really want to try sleeping pills, not something I would want to get hooked on, or need to take just to sleep.

Anyone else have similar problems sleeping? Anyone have a solution? Recomendations?

ok.. For real? Get laid or Jerk off.

/thread

Tik-Tok
01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
fan

fan

Originally posted by craigcd

Fan

Originally posted by SaturnV
fan

Originally posted by Kritafo
fan

Originally posted by 94teg

fan

Holy crap, I always thought I was the only one addicted to sleeping with a fan, lol.

To the O.P., how new is your bed? This could be a huge factor.

03ozwhip
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
i know youre all gonna say something when i say this, but 6 days before my wedding in October, i didnt sleep. 6 FULL DAYS. it honestly had nothing to do with being nervous or not wanting to get married, and i wasnt stressed out. it was the worst 6 days of my life. the day i actually fell asleep was the day that i have been able to sleep REALLY well ever since(knock on wood) i have always had troubles sleeping and not much worked for me, and ive tried everything. it seems that the best thing is to just RELAX. dont do anything but lay on the couch and watch TV. drink alot of water to keep yourself hydrated and just let yourself fall asleep, you will eventually. another good thing that ive been doing to let me sleep better is having my alarm set for 6am everyday weekends and all. you gotta wake up for work that time, and theres nothing like looking at the alarm clock and just shutting it of ad going back to sleep like you want to do every other day that you actually gotta work. take it from me, ive had sleeping problems for 15 years and im only 27. good luck gettin to sleep.

badatusrnames
01-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 94teg

That's my problem to, can't sleep without the fan... Im actually suprised this problem seems to be popular.

Are all of you people crazy!? Haven't you heard of fan death? You run a very serious risk of dying if you sleep with the fan on, particularly if you are of Korean descent. This is a well documented phenomenon in Korea that claims countless lives every year. It's not worth the risk!! Medicate yourself instead, I like Nytol personally (Diphenhydramine).

Please read further: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

R!zz0
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Have sex before going to sleep.

TunerF1
01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Holy, i am going to try the fan..... i didnt know it worked as well as you all claim!!

Kritafo
01-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I have never heard of fan death, I will have to read the article, although I am not giving up my fan anytime soon.

TunerF1 You may have a hard time finding a fan right now. It's not the right season. I prefer a box fan, I am sure other on here have preferences as well.

Kritafo
02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Okay sleep has been sucking since Christmas did myself a favour and bought Melatonin, I have been sleeping just great while using it. It's the first thing a sleep clinic will recommend.

Seahorsepower1
02-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Melatonin, 5HTP, maybe your pillow or the type of bed may not suit you.

lorenzo
02-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Fan FTW!

my gf doesnt like when the fan is on cuz she cant sleep with it
on. i usually wait for her to fall asleep first, then thats when
i turn it on. i would be asleep within 5 mins.

as what was mentioned on this thread, i too like the wind and
yes! even during winter when its hella cold outside.

Fire_chickin
02-03-2008, 01:08 AM
I've had insomnia for years and I've tried pretty much every suggestion in this thread and none of them worked. Then I stumbled on to my own trick. Make yourself a mix cd of somewhat relaxed music but more importantly songs you like. Then play it every night. The first couple nights you'll get through the whole thing... maybe a couple times. But by the third or fourth night I was konked out by the 3rd song.
I think it just shuts off my brain cause i know what's coming next.

Anyway, it's weird but like I said it's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

RotaryPower
02-03-2008, 01:18 AM
music helps me a lot
just set the tv to sleep 15-30 minutes, turn on the music channel i like and i'm out.

anhsicun
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
i have sleeping problems too, im tired as hell and whe i try to sleep i just lay thier. i just go smoke half a joint and that puts me to sleep.

Lo)2enz0
02-03-2008, 01:12 PM
talk to your doctor and get some gen zopiclone

helps me but you only take it every once in a while and i used to have really bad insomnia problems

rmk
02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I use a tea called Traditional Medicinal Night Night. Mix the shit up and you are out cold :thumbsup:

nismodrifter
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Went to sleep at 9am.....woke up at 12 noon....hit the books by 2...ah the life of an insomniac. :nut:

Archea
02-05-2008, 02:26 PM
There is a natural remedy I started using...passion flower and gingsing and a whole swack of other items...
Its in a pink and blue bottle called sleep aid...
I take one at night...sleep for about 6 hours straight and am fine the next day.

I was taking two for a while but the effects would wear off at 7 am...then hit me again at 10 like a bullet...Depends on metabolisms.....

Deffinately look into passionflower.

and as dumb as it seems....meditation. Even five minutes sitting alone in a quiet room helps so much...

I also those hand warmers for winter, one of the companies I work for sells reusable heart ones (like a reusable hot water bottle) Best invention ever...you can use them for massages or just cuddle them under the sheets >-<

FreakinPrince
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I heard report that you should turn off tv two or three hours before prior bed time.... no soda or whatever an hour before bed...(don't even think about drinking 2L bottle 5 mins before the hour)

make sure your room is really dark and cool....(don't layer up on blankets)

or give a walk around a block for half hour....fresh air worked for me

JRSC00LUDE
02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Fire_chickin
....... Make yourself a mix cd of somewhat relaxed music but more importantly songs you like. Then play it every night. The first couple nights you'll get through the whole thing... maybe a couple times. But by the third or fourth night I was konked out by the 3rd song.

I think it just shuts off my brain cause i know what's coming next.

That's exactly how I go to sleep, I either put music on that I know every single aspect of (I like going with afi cause it's not the music but the familiarity that's relaxing) or else run some simpsons episodes w/the sleep timer on the tv (I know pretty much every one of them haha) or any mindless show like spikes amazing video's or something.

Occupies the mind to stop it from thinking about shit and I can be asleep in under 10 minutes. Without something like that I can lay awake for 2 hours.

Neons4life
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I had the fan on in our place for about 2 weeks, the darn thing drove me NUTS! it woke me up all the time to the point I had to get up and turn it off...

I guess it only works for some

bigboom
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
try earplugs...they work pretty good for me.

tirebob
02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I am the opposite of most people here it seems... I can't sleep a frigging wink if there is any fan on, clock ticking, or any sound that is at all constant and/or repetitive... makes me fucking crazy! I have been known to smash a clock or two if they tick too loud, and I am talking at the other end of the house.

Light too... I need pitch black to sleep usually. I can't even stand the light that comes under the door if my kids get up to go to the bathroom and leave the hallway light on. lol!

I would rather smoke a joint then take a sleeping pill if it gets real bad though...

XylathaneGTR
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by rmk
I use a tea called Traditional Medicinal Night Night. Mix the shit up and you are out cold :thumbsup:
Where might one acquire this magical tonic, good sir?

Music stimulates me, no matter what i'm listening to, 95% of the time i'll feel more energized and awake by the time it's off.
My dad is like, the exact opposite...He throws on a CD and some headphones and he's fucking out.