PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Question

Isaiah
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Model: Stanley Quiet-Glide (ancient)

The chain recently came off the track and after readjusting it, the unit is now not accepting the programming for the 'down' position although the 'up' position works fine. In other words, after plugging the unit back in and reprogramming it, the door won't stop at the programmed location when closing.

I've had this problem before, and I don't remember what I did to get it to work again. I suspected it was the circuit board which was the source of the problem but it worked fine just the other day.

Suggestions?

Xtrema
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Buy a new opener. DIY, Stanley parts can only be found on-line. A big hassle last time I tried to fix mine.

Isaiah
01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I know that Stanley is out of business but I'd rather not purchase and install a new one if it's a minor troubleshooting problem.

mrbojangles
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Is it the stop sensor you were re-adjusting?

dropdat
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Call Top Notch Garages, and ask them if you can get them to send out their door installer to go in for a service call on your opener. It'll be about $150.00.

TomcoPDR
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
the unit is now not accepting the programming for the 'down' position
Are you just using a fancy sentence for saying the "opener won't go down AT ALL??????"

Or are you saying that "when you hit the down/close button, the physical door itself doesn't sit level on the concrete floor" (or something like that???)

If the door DOES go down, but just not the door aline with the floor (not the same programmed position)... then maybe look for those travel distance adjustment knobs.

If the opener unit does not respond to the "down/close" command, then maybe circuit board, safety sensors activated, or there's a safety switch (mine is called "lockdown")... usually on the main button control attached to the wall, that prevents kids or something accidentially hitting the door down on someone.

If not, I dunno :dunno:

Isaiah
01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by mrbojangles
Is it the stop sensor you were re-adjusting?
No, the chain had come off the track and I was putting it back on.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Are you just using a fancy sentence for saying the "opener won't go down AT ALL??????"

Or are you saying that "when you hit the down/close button, the physical door itself doesn't sit level on the concrete floor" (or something like that???)

If the door DOES go down, but just not the door aline with the floor (not the same programmed position)... then maybe look for those travel distance adjustment knobs.

If the opener unit does not respond to the "down/close" command, then maybe circuit board, safety sensors activated, or there's a safety switch (mine is called "lockdown")... usually on the main button control attached to the wall, that prevents kids or something accidentially hitting the door down on someone.

If not, I dunno :dunno:
No fancy sentences here. The door goes down but doesn't stop at the programmed position. It continues and hits the floor and then rebounds back up.

It's definitely not the sensor.

wildrice
01-15-2008, 12:02 AM
is anyone else getting a prompt for username/psword to ultragod when you enter this thread?

Bimmer88
01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by wildrice
is anyone else getting a prompt for username/psword to ultragod when you enter this thread?

Yes I just did and I was like wtf

avishal26
01-15-2008, 12:17 AM

No, the chain had come off the track and I was putting it back on.

No fancy sentences here. The door goes down but doesn't stop at the programmed position. It continues and hits the floor and then rebounds back up.

It's definitely not the sensor.

You need to adjust the leveller that tells the unit how far down the door is supposed to go. It seems as if right now it is set at going down too far (below the garage floor level) in which case, it hits the floor, thinks there's something blocking its path, and then goes back up. There are usually knobs on the unit itself to adjust the close position. Try that or look for a manual for your unit. Doesn't seem to be a major issue if my understanding of the problem is correct.

TomcoPDR
01-15-2008, 12:43 AM

The door goes down but doesn't stop at the programmed position. It continues and hits the floor and then rebounds back up.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Originally posted by avishal26

It seems as if right now it is set at going down too far (below the garage floor level) in which case, it hits the floor, thinks there's something blocking its path, and then goes back up. There are usually knobs on the unit itself to adjust the close position.

Maddog55
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, what TomCo said. There are two screws in the unit itself that adjusts where the door stops. the Open limter and close limiter. Adjust the closing one to where you want it to stop. To test it..place a 2x4 on the ground...when it hits that it should go back up. without it it should fit snug on the ground.

But if you ever feel the need....buy the new belt driven openers and replace your rollers with the nylon ones. I did that to mine and talk about quiet!!! Rollers cost me $65 at Rona and the opener was $300.

Isaiah
01-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55
Yeah, what TomCo said. There are two screws in the unit itself that adjusts where the door stops. the Open limter and close limiter. Adjust the closing one to where you want it to stop.
Where are the knobs? On the control unit mounted from the roof?

redblack
01-20-2008, 02:42 AM
yes, on the control unit mounted up in the garage ceiling. On on side of the box you'll see two adjusment screws. 1 for the upper limit and on for the lower limit. just play around with it till you get it right, btw you might need a flat blade or phillips screwdriver