PDA

View Full Version : K&N good or bad?

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 10:10 AM
My car is getting one installed today. Has anyone heard anyting really bad about these air filters?? I read something but couldnt remember what. If so is there anything better? Remember I dont race so hp isnt a huge issue. I just want something reliable that wont mess my ride up. Thanks!

redline
08-01-2002, 10:11 AM
K&N is one of the best! :thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 10:15 AM
We have a K&N in all our cars. Except for my sisters car (cuz we all hate it) and mine (I got an intake) but we've never had a problem. You have to clean them every so often with a cleaning kit, but other than that- you should be set! Good Luck!

BTW- Do you live in the SE? I swear I see you car (or one like it) all the time by my house! unless I'm :nut:

legendboy
08-01-2002, 10:15 AM
:thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
You have to clean them every so often with a cleaning kit, but other than that- you should be set! Good Luck!

How often do you clean them?? At every oil change I'm assuming.

B17a
08-01-2002, 10:30 AM
I do mine every 6 months but it could probably benefit from every 4. Depends on how dusty and dirty the air is. I find that since it's so dry in Calgary, the filter needs re-oiling more often than not.

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Do you live in the SE? I swear I see you car (or one like it) all the time by my house! unless I'm :nut:

Yup, Im SE. South east of Chinook.

Well I guess I made the right choice of filter then. What about the piping? All that is basically the same isnt it? I changed my whole intake. Im not sure what pipiing they are putting in though. I was thinking of gettin the AEM intake but with it soo low, Im sure it would damage something picking up snow in winter. :)

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by MaYzE

I was thinking of gettin the AEM intake but with it soo low, Im sure it would damage something picking up snow in winter. :)

I dont' think it should be a problem with have a CAI. I'm assuming AEM's CAI sits in the empty space in the front of the bumper like on the SiR version.
Granted, it will get some moisture coming in, but still not enough to kill your engine.

Ben
08-01-2002, 10:49 AM
K&N Filters are among the best thats for sure.

They recommend cleaning them only once every 50,000KM, but I would more than that...

Calgary is very dry, and the dust is not friendly...You have to buy a K&N Cleaning kit for all of like 9 or 10 bucks and it reois it and such...Prolly want to clean every 30k

2000impreza
08-01-2002, 01:13 PM
K&N cone filters work pretty good for me. they just get dirty really fast. i clean mine every few months.

silvia S15
08-01-2002, 11:21 PM
K & N is dope..u did a good job..:thumbsup:

GT2NV
08-02-2002, 11:53 AM
yeah im thinking about getting k&n as well because i can get a really good deal on it threw my work.... but my engine gets so hot that i think it would actually decrease performance rather than enhance it...:dunno: can anyone help me?

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2002, 03:00 PM
if you can get and apexi system for your car then thats the way to go...so much better than the k&N

HRD2PLZ
08-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
yeah im thinking about getting k&n as well because i can get a really good deal on it threw my work.... but my engine gets so hot that i think it would actually decrease performance rather than enhance it...:dunno: can anyone help me?

You could make a "custom intake." A few of the guys in APO did, same with a ton of people on www.probetalk.com
Some of them even said it worked better than an actual intake (like the PRM I had). Good Luck! :thumbsup:

2000impreza
08-02-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
if you can get and apexi system for your car then thats the way to go...so much better than the k&N

you read that airfilter test too? i had the link somewhere but can't find it.

K&N is just average. best is apex-i. the worse is blitz and hks. well according to the airfilter test i read anyways.

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

you read that airfilter test too? i had the link somewhere but can't find it.

K&N is just average. best is apex-i. the worse is blitz and hks. well according to the airfilter test i read anyways.
yah ive read the airfilter test..but even from personal experience the apexi is the tops

4wheeldrift
08-02-2002, 05:45 PM
How well do the foam filter elements hold up though?