PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket and insurance

signature7
01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
My friend was on his way picking up on 14th tonight and he got pulled over for going over for speeding. He said he was asked for his license but not his registration. I was wondering how would the insurance company find out about his speeding, what methods are dispatched from the police to the insurance company?

Thanks.

jersturbo
01-04-2008, 06:31 AM
As I understand it, most insurance companies can check your driving record...and do so usually on your insurance renewal date...typically why & when your insurance gets adjusted.

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2008, 07:10 AM
^^^that is correct, but most insurance companies will let one or two go without surcharging you, sometimes as much as 4 minor convictions.

rc2002
01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
It also depends on how major those infractions are. A careless driving ticket, or speeding over 30km/h will be a lot more likely to jump your rates...

Akagi Redsuns
01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
For PLPD rates, you can check what the max increase could be by using the Grid Rate Calculator. http://www.airb.gov.ab.ca/gridrate/

1 violation yields no increase. Collision and extra coverage premiums is up to the discretion of the particular insurance company.

Doozer
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
^^^that is correct, but most insurance companies will let one or two go without surcharging you, sometimes as much as 4 minor convictions.
10 years ago, maybe. Now, most companies will raise your rates from the first demerit. It's true that it's up to the discretion of the insurance company, but most of them have moved away from any freebies.

signature7
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
crazy, i feel bad cause i had a flat and he was coming to help me-but then again he shouldn't have sped. His insurance is pretty hefty too because he drives a new car and is 20 years old. thanks 4 the input guys.

travis_gillard
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
yea last night i got owned too
i was sitting at a light on 16 th for like 10 fucking mins
and noone was there so i was like fuck this im going
and of course the only car behind me is a ghost car
lmao
450$ fine later
the cop was a dick too

sr20s14zenki
01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Doozer

10 years ago, maybe. Now, most companies will raise your rates from the first demerit. It's true that it's up to the discretion of the insurance company, but most of them have moved away from any freebies.

For one thing, insurance companies dont go by demerits, they go by convictions, minor being like 10, 20 over, etc....major being like somebody said above, dangerous driving, undue care and attention, etc. It costs your insurance company too much money to pull a record on you to do it more than once a year, so that makes them less likely to know until you are up for renewal. Also, each company has rules, as to how many convictions you have to have before they raise your premium, and how much they raise it by. Im not 100% but i think ING allows you 3 convictions before they start surcharging you, and the surcharge is 25%.

Doozer
01-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

For one thing, insurance companies dont go by demerits, they go by convictions, minor being like 10, 20 over, etc....major being like somebody said above, dangerous driving, undue care and attention, etc. It costs your insurance company too much money to pull a record on you to do it more than once a year, so that makes them less likely to know until you are up for renewal. Also, each company has rules, as to how many convictions you have to have before they raise your premium, and how much they raise it by. Im not 100% but i think ING allows you 3 convictions before they start surcharging you, and the surcharge is 25%.
*sigh*
You realize that you don't get demerits without convictions right? So I'm not going to argue semantics. Secondly, I totally agree that most companies don't pull your record more than once per year (at renewal). I never said otherwise. Thirdly, I use ING, and I know for a fact that from the first conviction/demerit (whatever term makes you feel better), your rates will change.

signature7
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by travis_gillard
yea last night i got owned too
i was sitting at a light on 16 th for like 10 fucking mins
and noone was there so i was like fuck this im going
and of course the only car behind me is a ghost car
lmao
450$ fine later
the cop was a dick too

that sucks, be aware of ghost cars-usually fords- and they have signals on the mirrors, laptop on the dash ect. However the trucks are harder to spot.

My mother was waiting at an intersection at night that she always frequents. For a stretch of time in the summer, she would never get teh turning light, she would see her side of traffic getting the green light to proceed and the opposite direction getting a red light yet her turn light never came on, and she waited for a long time, with a bunch of cars also behind her ( she was probably the 2nd car in line, not the first car for sure).

natejj
01-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by signature7
crazy, i feel bad cause i had a flat and he was coming to help me-but then again he shouldn't have sped. His insurance is pretty hefty too because he drives a new car and is 20 years old. thanks 4 the input guys.

I was having a party, forget to get drinks, called friend, asked him to go to store and pick them up on way over... I know it wasn't my fault, but he got into a fender bender in the parking lot as we was leaving grovery store... $1600 later.... I felt pretty bad.

I dont think anyone even drank the pop.

sr20s14zenki
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Doozer

*sigh*
You realize that you don't get demerits without convictions right? So I'm not going to argue semantics. Secondly, I totally agree that most companies don't pull your record more than once per year (at renewal). I never said otherwise. Thirdly, I use ING, and I know for a fact that from the first conviction/demerit (whatever term makes you feel better), your rates will change.

That depends if you are quoting from the grid, or without the grid. My wife is an insurance broker and looks at the ING manual every day.....2 minor tickets on the grid rates will affect you, 4 minor tickets on regular ing market will affect your rates. It says so right in the ING quoting manual.

ashee
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
When you sign your policy you agree to allow the insurance company to keep tabs on your driving record and adjust your policy accordingly.