View Full Version : Problems with Mini Coopers

Gripenfelter
07-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Check out all the problems these guys have with their minis

http://www.mini2.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16

Abom
07-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Side note, I had heard the drivetrain in the new mini is from a neon. If that is true the SRT-4 engine should fit...

Yeah there are quite a few Chrysler products in it.

Let's not all forget that the Mini hasn't been around very long, and the first few years of ANY car are the always the worst before all the bugs are taken out.

speedracer
07-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Bmini engine comes from the the 420A family.

No, the SRT4 and the 420a will not be a feasable mod and neither would the 418A... Would require a lot of fabrication

Gripenfelter
07-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Abom

Yeah there are quite a few Chrysler products in it.

Let's not all forget that the Mini hasn't been around very long, and the first few years of ANY car are the always the worst before all the bugs are taken out.

Very true. I thought I would post it in case anyone was looking at getting one.

fast95pony
07-24-2003, 06:01 PM
But it's a BMW !! Aren't they built by automotive gods and last like a thousand years ??

redx2nv
07-24-2003, 06:29 PM
when bmw went into mass production, they quality went down the shitter! ahem, new e46 M3:rolleyes:

Abom
07-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
But it's a BMW !! Aren't they built by automotive gods and last like a thousand years ??

The Mini has parts designed by Chrysler, parts built in Mexico, parts built in Brazil, etc. It's not strictly a BMW car.

mad_psyentist
07-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Mini's are cute 'n all... but I wouldn't wanna be riding backseat when someone decided to rearend me.

The Mini's kinda the Pick-your-part of European cars, so it seems, and more problematic than a Chevette. They are swift little, things tho, not like that makes up for anything... I'd much preferr reliablility over anything else. Can't have my car pukin' a gearbox halfway to work one morning...

monkeyja
07-24-2003, 07:22 PM
BMW's cars are TOTALLY "DAM SUCK GARBAGE".
I owned one before and it's totally shit car for engine and tramission problems.

Ferio_vti
07-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by mad_psyentist
Mini's are cute 'n all... but I wouldn't wanna be riding backseat when someone decided to rearend me.

The Mini's kinda the Pick-your-part of European cars, so it seems, and more problematic than a Chevette. They are swift little, things tho, not like that makes up for anything... I'd much preferr reliablility over anything else. Can't have my car pukin' a gearbox halfway to work one morning...

Nah, think we're talking about the new Mini's here.

mad_psyentist
07-25-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Nah, think we're talking about the new Mini's here.

heh heh, Two words: "Mr. Bean."

:rofl:

Ferio_vti
07-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mad_psyentist

heh heh, Two words: "Mr. Bean."

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hahaha, you got me there...

Mr Bean's car owns. Best security system everr!!

KPDrag0n
07-27-2003, 07:56 PM
my mom might get it(tho automatic)
if so, i will probably be driving it more than her if i get a license next year :clap:

mad_psyentist
07-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Is it the supercharged one? That wouldn't be too bad auto...

three.eighteen.
07-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by monkeyja
BMW's cars are TOTALLY "DAM SUCK GARBAGE".
I owned one before and it's totally shit car for engine and tramission problems.

heh my engine and tranny are perfectly fine...its all electrical! :banghead:

BigMass
07-29-2003, 08:19 AM
Mr Bean drives an F1 not a Cooper :P

CLiVE
07-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Having read probably 100+ reviews now. I'm fairly sure the positives outweigh the negatives....

There were some problems with the car (nothing too too major) back when it was launched. Especially with UK models?

BMW/Mini has done a great job at addressing/fixing those problems, and it seems the majority of most recent (within the past 9 months or so) buyers have been problem free. At least according to most forums I've been on. Still has a top reliability rating...

They finally redesigned the coolant tank, as it used to crack at the bottom. Also there was a starting problem, that I believe has had a recall issued with regards to it. Something about them not starting on the first crank in cold weather...sometimes 4+ cranks required to start.

What seems to be the only big outstanding issue is a problem with stress cracks on the windshield. Many owners have replaced theirs 5+ times now.

I will most likely be buying one for my wife....or 2, one for her, and one for me...:thumbsup:

IMO if you look at any car specific forum, most cars will appear as lemons. As most people will only report problems there...

Strider
07-30-2003, 12:59 PM
you're selling the stealth to get a mini??
talk about kicking it down a notch

CLiVE
07-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Strider
you're selling the stealth to get a mini??
talk about kicking it down a notch

most likely I'll get a mini as well as something else. Most likely a WRX or something....still cannot make up my mind. Too many choices.

GO and drive a mini. It can out handle most cars out there...you'll be convinced...this was me after the test drive----->:D

besides with 200hp (with the cooperworks kit) and 2600lbs...that car will be very fun.

ecstasy_civic
07-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

GO and drive a mini. It can out handle most cars out there...you'll be convinced...this was me after the test drive----->:D

ummm i think it was both of us:rofl: i couldnt stop smiling for almost an hour.:tongue:

CLiVE
07-30-2003, 01:15 PM
and wasn't it the mini that took away the slalom record from a porsche...(which costs probably 10x more..)

January 2203 Road & Track.
Cooper S, a veritbale slot car in the slalom, becomes the new record holder: it's manic 69.5 mph blitz deposes the Porsche GT2 at 68.7...for ultimate agility, the MINI has no competition short of a Caterham 7, Miata, or go cart. For ultimate stopping, the MINI also distanced itself from the pack, with Boxster like postings from both 60 and 80 MPH."