PDA

View Full Version : CF card reader question

frozenrice
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I just got a Canon XTi with a 4G flash card (I don't physically have it yet - it's in the mail). The thing is I don't know much about flash cards in terms of formats. I know there are other formats known as SD, XD etc. but what are the ones for the camera I just just bought known as (if there is another name for it)? I just found out my laptop has a card reader but I'm not sure if it'll support the card from the camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/DSCF1414.jpg

dragonone
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
ur camera need CF - compactflash
and those two letters aren't on the one on your laptop, so go buy a cheapo usb2.0 one with CF on it

Wakalimasu
01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
you can pick up a $10 multi card / usb readers at memory express.. it felt pretty flimsy but its only $10

Futureshop and other places charge you over $30 and it doesnt have CF

CF is pretty much dead for anything but an SLR cameras I think cuz they have high speed rates

frozenrice
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Crap. I was hoping it would have worked. I suppose I could just direct connect via the USB cord? I'd rather not buy more stuff to add to my clutter.
Thanks for the input.

frozenrice
01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
That spot above the built-in card reader comes out and is about the size of a credit card. Is this the PCMCIA slot? I came across some PCMCIA adaptor/readers that would seem to be less of a hassle than having a corded USB reader.
Sorry for the stupid questions. I'm an old dog so some of these things have been irrelevant to me until now.

dragonone
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
buy a usb2.0 card reader at dealextreme, ledshoppe, brando, or kaidomain. takes a while but mostly free shipping. if memx sells one for 10 bux do that instead

they cost way less than frickin BB/FS

i dont' see how a short corded card reader is more of a hassle than a pcima one. i bet a pcima one should cost way more as well

BokCh0y
01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a sandisk or kingston pcmcia CF card reader. You slide the cf card from ur camera into the pcmcia card adaptor then toss that into the laptop. Let me look for it, if i can find it you can have it for FREE. But ur driving to the NW to pick it up dude.

I'll look around tonight and pm u if i can find it. give me a day or so.

frozenrice
01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
^^Hey thanks.
It's not that the USB ones are bad, I'm presuming that I can leave the PCM card in the slot so it's sort of out of sight, out of mind. I have a tendancy to lose things like external devices and what not so if I can leave it in the slot it's sort of like a safe keeping spot.

BokCh0y
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
NP. I found the card reader, it's a kingston pcmcia adaptor. you have pm with contact info dude.

freakin
01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Mike, if that PCMCIA adapter doesn't pan out, make sure you get a USB 2.0 reader. The older ones are painfully slow, and so is the built in camera interface. On my setup, I can dump my 4GB card in about a minute.

Unknown303
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah if your not going the PCMCIA route a 2.0 usb card reader is the only way to go, downloading 10MB pictures off of a card with anything slower can become a really slow process.

I have the same camera BTW and its incredible, may want to find a better lense than the kit however i found it didn't perform the greatest.