PDA

View Full Version : need an electrician

Buster
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I have about a half a day's work for an electrician to install a pony panel alongside our main panel.

It's a bit of an emergency because we are moving and its part of the sale contract....

Thanks!

cidley69
01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
If you find one, can you let me know as i need one also.

When we moved into our house there was a room with unfinished wiring. We need a electricians letter stating that all the wiring in that room is safe (to code i guess).

Thanks!

Buster
01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
If you find one, can you let me know as i need one also.

When we moved into our house there was a room with unfinished wiring. We need a electricians letter stating that all the wiring in that room is safe (to code i guess).

Thanks!

This is basically what I need too.

Except that most electricians I have talked to feel it needs to be changed.

Heck, I would pay a pretty penny just to get an electrician to give me that letter.

pyro
01-06-2008, 06:27 PM
i doubt any electrician is just goin to sign knowing that the house isnt to code, just cause if something does go wrong they can track it back to that electrician and he loses his ticket.

buster- is ur main panel full, why the need for the pony panel? how big is the service? 70Amp?

Buster
01-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by pyro
i doubt any electrician is just goin to sign knowing that the house isnt to code, just cause if something does go wrong they can track it back to that electrician and he loses his ticket.

buster- is ur main panel full, why the need for the pony panel? how big is the service? 70Amp?

Thanks for the replies/interest/help.

I'm not sure what the amps are to it.

My complication is this:

I have a townhouse with no basement, so the panel is located upstairs where the power comes into our unit. It's located on a small wall right between two studs with no space on either side. It's upside-down. The electrician ran the circuits back up through the main disconnect (which is not on the top of the panel, rather than the bottom). Apparently this is not to code because you can't run circuits through the main disconnect area. It passed code (the inspection sticker is on), but apparently should not have passed.

I have been told that a simple pony panel with a disconnect in it would solve the problem by separating the main disconnect from the circuit wires.

It's also part of the contract for selling my house, so this is a real PITA.

Nufy
01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
So the electrician would have to disconnect the main service, route it to the new disconnect and then back to the existing panel ??