PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Tea

Khyron
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
The tea you get in your avg Calgary Chinese restaurant - what kind of tea leaf is it? I've tried a few generic green teas and it's not the same. I also got some really big leafy stuff from China and while good it's also not the same thing. Anyone?

lint
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
typically it's jasmine tea

toyboy88
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
At alot of the chinese resturants I got to, it's called "Gook Bow" in Cantonese...at least the real stuff with the bunch of leaves in the pot.

Not sure if it's jasmine in english hahaha

Pihsiak
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
if you go to a viet restaurants and it is in a tea bag, it's jasmine tea you can get for like 3 bucks a box at superstore in a white/yellow packaging

If you go to china town dim sum place and they offer you some choices and there is no bag but a mess of leaves then go to a tea store. there's one in TNT and it;s a pretty nice place. the teas will come in a nice tin can with a sealed bag in it... a mess to clean up when trying to get it all out of the pot...

I think there are like 2 types of teas, dark teas and light teas
Teas like "Bo Lay" are dark and bitter while "Gook Bo" is a flower and very light.

98type_r
01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't think it's jasmine tea that you're after, jasmine isn't dark enough.

suen17
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
Teas like "Bo Lay" are dark and bitter while "Gook Bo" is a flower and very light.

Gook Bo is Bo Lay with chrysanthenum flowers in it. It's just "bo lay" with "gook fa."

The other popular dim sum type of teas is tit koon yum and Mo li fa (jasmine).

V6-BoI
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
if you go to a viet restaurants and it is in a tea bag, it's jasmine tea you can get for like 3 bucks a box at superstore in a white/yellow packaging

If you go to china town dim sum place and they offer you some choices and there is no bag but a mess of leaves then go to a tea store. there's one in TNT and it;s a pretty nice place. the teas will come in a nice tin can with a sealed bag in it... a mess to clean up when trying to get it all out of the pot...

The "Gook Bo" tea is actually a mix of chrysanthemum and the "bo lay" tea. Not sure what that is called in english. But pure chrysanthemum tea is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysanthemum_tea

250and3
01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
I don't think it's jasmine tea that you're after, jasmine isn't dark enough.

Jasmine tea is the type used in many chinese and vietnaese restaraunts, or at least the ones I've been going to.
some use plain "green tea," but there are a lot of different types.

Khyron
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking more american-ized - like the pot you get at the avg ginger beef/buffet palace. The pot usually has a few small leaves and sometimes twigs at the bottom, never bags. I will try the superstore jasmine and see how that is though. Most chinese restaurants I go to - it's the same tea.

Altezza
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by suen17

Gook Bo is Bo Lay with chrysanthenum flowers in it. It's just "bo lay" with "gook fa."

The other popular dim sum type of teas is tit koon yum and Mo li fa (jasmine).

I usually ask for teet koon yum when I'm at dim sum. A much better alternative than the typical gook bo.