PDA

View Full Version : "Biggest Loser" Experiment

Pages : [1] 2 3

kerry
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I remember seeing a thread a while back throwing around the idea of doing a "Biggest Loser" on here. I guess since everyone's in full swing we could do a miniature version of something like that. Just for fun of course, and to learn from other peoples routines, diets etc. See which routines work for who and get more ideas of diet, training etc etc

I'm goin to do a 4 week run consisting of a revamped diet and training regimen that has started today. You guys can do the same and start whenever if you'd like and I was thinking we could all post results somewhere in the start of Feb.

Or if we want, we could all start next monday on the 14th and run till Valentines day. Suggestions or feedback on the "start days" are welcome or everyone can just start whenever.

Alright, now on to what I'm doing...

First off diet.

Eating 5 smaller meals a day consisting of a pretty basic and easy to follow diet.

Removing or Moderating:
Sugary drinks or foods: Absolutely no chocolate bars, high sugar protein bars or fruit juice (fruit juice, even natural and not from concentrate has a tonne of sugar. They are good natural sugars but still way more than I need)

Starchy carbs: Minimal potato intake, bread intake (only whole grain and flax), whole wheat wraps whenever possible if I WANT bread. For cereal it'll basically be a small serving of Vector (still high sugar content) or museli

Fat where possible: Watch fat intake. That means no deep fried food (obviously), skim milk, and only good fats (small portions of natural peanut butter, flax seed, fish oil etc)

Foods that I have no clue what's in them: This is pretty simple. Anything that I may question (weird barbeque at restaurants for example) I'm going to stay away from. Unless it's clear that it's good for me, I'm going to pass.

High fat/sodium/sugar sauces: Explains itself... no heavy gravy, basically only italian dressing (low sodium), and calorie controlled low fat mayo if I'm desperate.

Keeping:
Lean meats: Poultry, fish and the occasional top sirloin if I want one.

Veggies: with the exception of excessive potato intake or yam intake.

Fruit: I'll still eat fruit, but in moderation. I need the vitamins and the sugars for energy... but will be much more "fuel efficient". The occasional smoothie with low fat yogurt will probably happen

Protein Powder: If I keep using my protein, I'll be on a low carb, low fat Iso Whey like the BioX brand. Very good tasting and only with skim milk.

Creatine: MIGHT go and do a small creatine cycle to try and build some more lean muscle. MIGHT... lol

Steroids:... just kidding ;) I'm fucking terrified of needles

Breads: As mentioned above, only flax seed bread once in a while and whole wheat wraps/pitas. Small portions of cereal and only low sugar cereal. Instant plain oatmeal may be a possibility as well.

Tea: Green tea as often as possible... I may sneak in a little bit of honey and lemon because that's how I love my green tea.

Water: Lots... nuff said.

Now on to the routine...

Each day will start with 30 minutes of mid-high to high intensity cardio whether it be elliptical or rowing machine. May end with 15 minutes of a mid intensity cardio depending on time of day or how tired I am (school might kick my ass and make me leave early)

Monday - Chest and Tri's
Tuesday - Core and Conditioning (more cardio)
Wednesday - Back and Bi's
Thursday - More Core and Conditioning (these days fucking suck)
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - Very light easy day with an exercise or two of each muscle group consisting of one set per group at about 50% 1RM

The main thing I do when I train is everything is against the clock. So timed sets and timed rest is how I train and what makes it tough for me. I plan on cutting my gym time down so I have to work even harder. I'll keep time at the end of each day for stretching. That's very very important. I want to push my limits even more, but will keep it safe. May start training martial arts again on the side a few days a week for a bit more fun in my workouts.

Now you may ask why I don't do a leg day... with the cardio and the core days including more running, it'd be absolute torture to try and fit in a leg day. My legs are very strong, and a lot more defined than I ever expected them to be without leg workout. This will give me more time to focus on other muscle groups as well. I know that my legs are big muscles, and will help burn calories and therefore fat... but again, my cardio makes throwing in a leg day overkill for them. I may be insane sometimes, but I know not to hurt myself too. :)

Current weight: 240lbs (as of earlier today)

Goals: I'd like to see a drop of 10 lbs of fat if possible, but at the same time I'd like to hopefully put on maybe 5 lbs of lean muscle as well. I don't really want to lose weight. Just lean out a bit more and get a bit more good mass on me. The MAIN goal though for me, aside from fat loss, is I want to see an increase in my endurance during training. I'd like to notice a difference in how long I can last during an intense workout and an overall increase in drive while working out. That's what's most important to me. There's no point of looking like a beast if you aren't one deep down (cough Tim Sylvia cough)

Alright guys... here we go!

JordanEG6
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Good luck! Keep up posted with updates! :thumbsup:

Jlude
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Interested to see what happens. Good luck!

403Gemini
01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Kerry, do you have any meal ideas (for the 5 spaced out meals) i need stuff that is easy to make / buy and I can bring to work. I'd be game for this including 3-4 trips to the gym for a solid month (work out a routine)

Dont have time to come up with one right now and i'll weigh myself when i get home. (roughly 190-200)

Final goals: Either tone up or slim down a bit (hopefully both!) i dont mind my weight but id rather it be muscle then... squishy haha

Ill edit this post tonight/tommorow :D

Mr_ET
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I am starting something similar. I am actually trying first to stop eating out completely except for once a month (something ensible and not junk food).

I used to eat junk food like 2-3 times a week and sometimes for lunch at work too.

I am greatly reducing portions and having small ones only when I'm really hungry so about 4-5 times a day.

Less carbs, no more pop, less bread, no frozen or pre packaged foods, as little suger as possible, less salty foods and no more sweet. I used to not eat fruits at all and few veggies so I'm including more salads now, fruits and veggies in every meal and of course I try to have at least 8 glasses a day of water now.

I have also bought an exercise bike, punching bag with gloves, skipping rope and some mats and plan to do some mid to high intensity exercise 5-6 times a week for about 30 minutes each.

I started eating well on the 1st and training on Sunday.

I can already say that I feel much less bloated and have a bit more energy. I have also not had a single headache since I started and I used to have them every other day.

Don't think I'll beat you but I can appreciate the effort you are putting into this and am looking forward to see what we can both achieve!

Starting weight for me was 201 pounds

403Gemini
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

Don't think I'll beat you but I can appreciate the effort you are putting into this and am looking forward to see what we can both achieve!

hey man, bottem line is being happy with YOUR results :thumbsup:

JordanEG6
01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, I just finished reading Kerry's Ephedrine Cycle thread. I think I'll give it a go with a similar diet.

However I started last winter, maybe I can speed things up this time around. I never maintained a strict diet at all last year and that hurt my progress a little bit.

Weight December 2006: 210 lbs.
Weight January 2008: 175 lbs.

Weight loss goal: 150 lbs.

Goodluck to all!

Mr_ET
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Well, I just finished reading Kerry's Ephedrine Cycle thread. I think I'll give it a go with a similar diet.

However I started last winter, maybe I can speed things up this time around. I never maintained a strict diet at all last year and that hurt my progress a little bit.

Goodluck to all!

You're almost there man, just keep encouraging yourself like that.

If you don't mind me asking did you see a big difference losing the first 35 pounds cause thats about what I'd like to drop?

JordanEG6
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM

You're almost there man, just keep encouraging yourself like that.

If you don't mind me asking did you see a big difference losing the first 35 pounds cause thats about what I'd like to drop?

Noticed a big difference. I have a more defined neckline and I can see my colorbone LOL, I also felt more energy during the day and also my asthma wasn't as bad and I went from an XL-M in clothing and 36"-33/32" in belt/pant sizes.

I suggest to buy a new wardrobe when you reach your final weightloss goal, just to save money...I found myself constantly buying new clothes throughout last year and if I reach that 150 mark, I'm going to have to go shopping again.

403Gemini
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Noticed a big difference. I have a more defined neckline and I can see my colorbone LOL, I also felt more energy during the day and also my asthma wasn't as bad and I went from an XL-M in clothing and 36"-33/32" in belt/pant sizes.

I suggest to buy a new wardrobe when you reach your final weightloss goal, just to save money...I found myself constantly buying new clothes throughout last year and if I reach that 150 mark, I'm going to have to go shopping again.

thats the biggest thing i noticed was 6 months ago when i wasnt working out at all my asthma was kicking my ass, since ive been going to the gym 1-2 times a week for the last while, and eating a BIT more healthy my asthma is getting better, more endurance, more energy.

10 min on the treadmill doesnt kick my ass anymore ;)

buh_buh
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
just buy clothes that are too small.
More motivation to lose that weight to you don't waste that money :rofl:
That's the chinese in me talking.

kerry
01-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Alright I'll reply to some stuff on here...

I am starting something similar. I am actually trying first to stop eating out completely except for once a month (something ensible and not junk food).

I used to eat junk food like 2-3 times a week and sometimes for lunch at work too.

I am greatly reducing portions and having small ones only when I'm really hungry so about 4-5 times a day.

Less carbs, no more pop, less bread, no frozen or pre packaged foods, as little suger as possible, less salty foods and no more sweet. I used to not eat fruits at all and few veggies so I'm including more salads now, fruits and veggies in every meal and of course I try to have at least 8 glasses a day of water now.

I have also bought an exercise bike, punching bag with gloves, skipping rope and some mats and plan to do some mid to high intensity exercise 5-6 times a week for about 30 minutes each.

I started eating well on the 1st and training on Sunday.

I can already say that I feel much less bloated and have a bit more energy. I have also not had a single headache since I started and I used to have them every other day.

Well don't worry about "beating" me dude! It's awesome that you're taking the intiative to be healthier and that's what's most important. Sure it's nice to drop fat, but if you're healthy it doesn't really matter how you look. I hope ya feel great about what you're doing which is the key thing in fitness IMO.

Goodluck to all!

The Ephedrine cycle was pretty fucking intense in terms of how I lost weight. The diet I did while doing the cycle was similar to what I'm doing now with a lot more lenience. Christmas was upon us and many big Christmas dinners were happening :). If you stick to a decent diet I'm sure you'll notice results in the weight loss department. Just make sure to eat lots of protein to ensure you don't lose too much muscle mass.

I'll PM you back in a sec too!

Originally posted by 403Gemini
Kerry, do you have any meal ideas (for the 5 spaced out meals) i need stuff that is easy to make / buy and I can bring to work. I'd be game for this including 3-4 trips to the gym for a solid month (work out a routine)

Dont have time to come up with one right now and i'll weigh myself when i get home. (roughly 190-200)

Final goals: Either tone up or slim down a bit (hopefully both!) i dont mind my weight but id rather it be muscle then... squishy haha

Ill edit this post tonight/tommorow :D

Meal ideas are tough to come up with I agree so I'll throw you a couple of my favorites as well as basics I usually pick up for food. This will be a big ass post. Usually when eating, I'll either drink green tea, Coke zero (it's nice to cheat every now and again), milk, water or v8.

Breakfast:
Bowl of cereal with half vector and half muesli with half skim milk and half yogurt OR just skim milk. Usually have a green tea or coffee at school with either splenda or a bit of honey :) Apparently you can get a kraft "south beach" cereal though I've never tried it.

Instant oatmeal (plain) with a tiny tiny bit of sugar and skim milk with banana slices.

All-Bran bar (plain) with peanut butter (no salt/sugar added or natural) and a banana. Milk to drink

If you have time make a 2 egg omelette with low fat cheese, canadian back bacon and mushrooms. This with one piece of flax toast and http://www.becelcanada.com/product.asp?pid={480B35F4-6029-44C3-9851-61E938ABB3EB} is an awesome breakfast. I usually cook with cooking spray to keep down on the unnecessary fat.

I've had flax seed pancakes and waffles so you could give this recipe a try. I'd try it with skim milk instead of soy personally, but the pancakes and waffles I had were unreal. With some berries that you basically will mash up yourself into a jam, they taste fucking amazing! Had em in banff at a hippy cafe lol
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20030102favesip2.asp

Snack (these are good for after lunch too):
Full apple cut into slices with peanut butter (same stuff mentioned above)

Yogurt (Source is my fave fat free low-sugar) with berries and a handful of granola or hemp seeds if you can get em. With berries the general rule is the darker the berry, the better it is for you. Blackberries, blueberries etc etc

Celery sticks and light cheez whiz while controlling how much you eat.

Smoothie with frozen yogurt, bananas, low carb protein powder (biox is my fave), strawberries, handful of granola, flax seeds or oil, skim milk. These are super filling and they taste good if you've found good tasting fat free frozen yogurt... no shit haha.

Lunch time!
Sandwich with fresh deli turkey, calorie wise miracle whip, low fat mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, pepper and flax bread. Can also be a wrap if you'd like.

Get a bunch of those Campbells' Healthy Request soups. You can get microwave single servings now but you can just do the cans if you want. Tastes great and filling. You can even get the "Chunky" brand in healthy request now! These make for a great lunch at work since all you need is a microwave and a tupperware container.

Leftover pasta from dinner list below

Salads. Use Calorie Wise italian or ranch dressing and I usually throw in romaine lettuce, baby tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and baked chicken. Basically bake chicken breasts at 375F for about 30 minutes with a catch tray beneath so fat can drip off. Put a bit of salt, pepper, or Mrs Dash seasoning. Almost completely sodium free and have no sugar! Table blend and lemon pepper are my favorite.

Dinner:

Top Sirloin steak grilled with just a steak spice rub consisting of steak spice, onion powder, dry chilis (like the onces at BPs), savory and basil. Baby potatoes either boiled or cooked over bbq in tin foil. Use the low fat margarine from above if you want some flavor. Grilled green and red peppers are nice with this.

Whole wheat pasta with home made sauce. I usually make my sauce with a can of unseasoned stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, savory, 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic, chilis again, chopped onion, carrot. Blend basically all ingredients and allow to simmer on low heat so flavours can absorb. Put a lid on to ensure the sauce doesn't reduce too much. This will make enough for 2-3 portions depending on size of your can of stewed tomatoes. I bake 2 chicken breasts like mentioned above minus seasoning. After baking I'll cut em up, and throw into the sauce while simmering. Usually when I make this I'll make 2 cans worth and let it cook for about an hour to 2 hours. This will bring out flavors and you can obviously change what's in it. Great for lunches and leftovers for dinner.

Broccoli cheddar soup with the recipe below but "healthy" alternatives for the ingredients
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-and-Cheddar-Soup/Detail.aspx
Tastes amazing and goes great with a nice wrap or a small salad and chicken breast.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy

Site has a lot of good recipes if you want some more ideas.

I wanna say thanks to everyone that's been super fucking supportive here. You guys are wicked and I really appreciate you reading my shit. I'm very flattered that you even think of my advice as good! Big ups to 1-bar and Darkane for giving wicked advice as well. Those guys know their shit!

I'll post some results after the first week.

Mr_ET
01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
There is one thing I would really like to keep as part of what I eat and that is white bread. I have never liked the taste of brown, flax or multi grain bread.

If it is taken in moderation and usually no more than the equivalent of 1 slice a day do you think that would be very taxing on a diet?

shadowz
01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
There is a Omega Three honey oat you could try, it does taste a lot better than most of the bland "brown" breads out there

Mr_ET
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Right now a I am eathing the "smart" bread which I believe is a combination of white and brown bread and it's not too bad so if I could leave it at that it would be great

kerry
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
It won't really HURT your diet, but if you can tough it out and switch over to a whole grain then I'd suggest you give it a shot.

I can't find the brand I usually buy on the internet because apparently google isn't my friend. It's a green bag, and it's flax seed. You can get it in many many different varieties and I've found they taste better than other whole grain brands. Almost any Safeway or Superstore.

Just stay away from the Ancient Grains brand. Tastes like shit and has a super stale texture.

Darkane
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice, just read through this thread. Good to keep a journal Kerry. Thanks for the kind words.

Couple things I've been experimenting with:

Avoiding all peanut butter. I've read some places where PB can contain invisible mold that causes cancer. Many sources on this.

http://deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/peanuts.htm

I've been avoiding all Milk. This seems to be working well for fat loss and immune system strength. Many articles on this. Milk is also said to contribute to acne as well.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/faq/260.html

Avoiding all processed foods and "quick" oats in favor of a lower GI steel cut version. It takes longer to cook but tastes better IMO, nutty earthy flavour. Avoid all packaged meats in favor of fresh whole meats like chicken breasts. Roast them, then make lunch. Packaged have many preservatives.

Breakfasts I like to use thin skinned berries, like blueberries for thier awesome anti-oxidant effects.

I've also read huge insulin spikes can rapidly increase aging. Not cool :)

I'm almost 26, many people have said in the last few years I've actually gotten younger which is great! My pic can vouch for that :rofl:

Good luck all, Maybe I'll start a food log on her too. Starting a new Recomposition routine right away.

4wheeldrift
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not really a body builder or anything, I just kind of stumbled on this post while wandering aimlessly through the forum. I thought I'd share what I've done to lose a whole whack of weight over the last year.

I've always known that I wasn't doing myself any favors hauling around a ton of extra weight, but I just kept lying to myself that it didn't matter. It DOES matter. That was the first thing to overcome, and once I managed that there was no looking back.

Over the last year I've lost 85 lbs, and I managed it just by being disciplined about what I've was eating. When I looked at things honestly, I realized that I was consuming 3500-4000 calories a day, and I was sitting on my ass behind a desk for a living. Small wonder my weight was spiraling out of control.

Taking a hard look at my diet, I realized a few things:

1. I was eating out WAY too much
2. I was drinking absurd amounts of pop and little else
3. Way too much fat, and all the worst kinds
4. Way too much sodium
5. Not nearly enough vegetables and fruits

Having realized that, things were already looking easier. Switching from regular pop to diet, and then just to water did wonders for cutting out a lot of empty calories every day. Cooking large quantities of food and portioning it out and freezing it for lunches helped eliminate the need for eating out so much and dramatically improved my nutrition. Rigorous portion control became my best friend, and adding salads to every meal did a lot to help fill me up with some healthy stuff. I started eating 5 much smaller meals a day instead of 3 massive ones.

And the weight started coming off. In the summer of 2006 I was 290lbs, in February of 2007 I was down to 260lbs. As of this morning I was 205lbs. In my case, the biggest problem was how much I was eating. I cut my portions back and I became a relentless label reader, using a program for my Palm to help track calories and nutrient. And the results became noticeable after only a couple months. I went from a 44" waist to a 36" and I'm still carrying 20lbs more than I probably should be.

But I look and feel so much better. I can actually run now, I can do martial arts, I can go hiking. I can exercise to keep the weight from coming back, and start putting on some muscle so I'm not such a wimp.

I guess the biggest thing is if you're in really bad shape and you look more like a marshmallow than steel, don't let it discourage you. You are ultimately in control of your own destiny, and losing weight doesn't need to be overly difficult or make you totally miserable. You can still eat things you enjoy, just control your portions and make smarter decisions.

I can't find a more recent photo of myself, this one is a few years old and I was probably a good 30lbs lighter than I was when I finally decided to do something about my weight.

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/Archsrei/DCP_1753.jpg

This photo was taken about a month ago.

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/Archsrei/me.jpg

lint
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/Archsrei/DCP_1753.jpg

This photo was taken about a month ago.

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/Archsrei/me.jpg

You look about 8 years younger too. Congrats man

403Gemini
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Day 1 guys , good luck!

190 lbs, 5'11. (Running first week with 0 supplements)

Breakfast: Had vector cereal with skim milk

Morning snack: 2 sticks of celery with peanut butter

Lunch: Can of tuna and a salad with low fat italian dressing

Afternoon snack: baby carrots (no ranch dressing :cry: )

Random munching throughout the day: trail mix.

And instead of my usual caramel macciato in the morning im getting a bottle of water (yes i can re-use one everyday but id rather go out and buy a new one everyday so i can GET OUT OF THE OFFICE! lol

kerry
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
You can get fat free Ranch dressing from Kraft. It tastes pretty damn good and last time I dieted I ate it. Still lost weight so I can't imagine it'll affect you too much.

Also I figured I'd throw an update.
Hovering between 238 and 240 now instead of 239 and 242.

Noticed that on Saturday at the gym. Also hit a few new milestones.

265lb Bench press for 12 reps
110lb tricep press also for 12
100lb bent over row for 12
Can finally do tricep dips with 25lb weight attached to me.

Hopefully today I'll notice my cardio is a little better. I also found by Saturday I wasn't too tired still at the gym and I could've went yesterday. Body needs a day off though.

403Gemini
01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
265lb bench press? god damn! haha :thumbsup:

kerry
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Dude it's not that much. Keep in mind I'm 240lbs hahah!

What's impressive is when 170lb dudes bench almost 2 plates.
That's nuts.

But thanks!

Mr_ET
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm sitting at around 194 right now so almost 10 pounds lighter than 14 days ago.

This is on the same scale too. I am drinking a crap load of water and eating well doesn't seem that hard this time around. When I am hungry I also just have an apple or a couple carrot sticks now and I'm able to last till the next little meal.

I have also not had a single can of pop since the beginning of the month and have drastically reduced my carb intake.

Also exercising every day from home now :)

Darkane
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
236lbs.

Doing a Timed Carb diet with glycogen refill once every 8 days on leg day.

300G pro, 50G carb, 85G fat On non-workout days
325G pro, 200G carb, 100G fat on work out days.
325G pro, 300-350G carb, 100G fat for leg day every 8 day cycle.

This has worked well for me in the past. Good luck all. :thumbsup:

note: ALL Carbs from Oats, Fruit, whole wheat pasta, and Veggies. Trace carbs from ketchup etc. No sugars except Gatorade powder mixed with post-workout shake.

Supps: Beverly International SuperPAK multi's, Cod liver oil 15-20G/day, Whey. Lots of green tea about 1.5-2L/D

EDIT: Forgot to mention this will be a diet heavy cut. No time for Cardio working shift. Lots of walking at work however.

reiRei
01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
this sounds like a fun experiment, I'll be venturing on my own program starting tomorrow (I know tuesday, an odd day to start, but I want to start with my ice time on tuesday) I'll post my planned routine later..

403Gemini
01-16-2008, 11:16 AM
So supplementscanada.com ... rocks!

I bought some ephedrine and caffinee pills (100 of each) monday morning, it arrived yesterday in the mail (ONE DAY DELIVERY?! FREAKING SWEET!)

Now im just waiting to shake my head cold before i start taking them (Figure i want my immune system 100% before i start something new)

Also have been eating healthy and dropped from 196.7 to 194.4 in 2 days. Nothing big but a reasonable start from only hitting the gym twice and change of diet. (weighing myself at the gym every night at about 6:45 pm)

bulaian
01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
So supplementscanada.com ... rocks!

I bought some ephedrine and caffinee pills (100 of each) monday morning, it arrived yesterday in the mail (ONE DAY DELIVERY?! FREAKING SWEET!)

Now im just waiting to shake my head cold before i start taking them (Figure i want my immune system 100% before i start something new)

Also have been eating healthy and dropped from 196.7 to 194.4 in 2 days. Nothing big but a reasonable start from only hitting the gym twice and change of diet. (weighing myself at the gym every night at about 6:45 pm)

lol but the ephedrine you're buying is a "nasal decongestant" i mean that's what we all buy it for :D

yeah supplementscanada.com ships super fast... I should have just gone with them but bodybuilding.com is so much cheaper(depending on what you buy). I ordered my stuff on the 28th and it just arrived yesterday :rolleyes:

kerry
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Good work dude!

I found the first time I dieted I dropped the most in the first few weeks. It's a wicked thing to see. It'll be awesome when you start noticing little things like your rib line showing or more veins being apparent your arms.

Feels great.

Glad to see lots of people at least giving this a shot. Everyone should post updates weekly if they can.

I'll give mine on Friday.

EDIT: the first time I bought ephedrine I made the dudes at popeye's laugh.

I said, "I've been really stuffed up lately, having issues with a complete lack of energy and suffering from some brutal headaches. Can you guys help?"

They all lol'd

JordanEG6
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

lol but the ephedrine you're buying is a "nasal decongestant"

sorry, n00b question...can you still use that ephedrine for the ECA cycles ?

kerry
01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Yessir you can. It's just a smaller dosage per pill that's sold now. It's a "regulated" product. Hahahaha

So instead of taking 1-25mg pill you'll take 3-8mg pills.

bulaian
01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

sorry, n00b question...can you still use that ephedrine for the ECA cycles ?

yeah it pretty much works the same, some people say ephedra was more effective, others say they like the ephedrine hcl more.

403Gemini
01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

lol but the ephedrine you're buying is a "nasal decongestant" i mean that's what we all buy it for :D

To be honest i should use one for health reasons cause my nose is freaking congested!!!

kerry
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Alright, my weekly update I guess will be on Friday's because I have a super long break at SAIT and get very very fucking bored.

Starting weight: 239-241lbs
Current weight: 235-238lbs

I dropped only about 5lbs average. We all know our weight fluctuates during the day based on water content, food etc. I weigh myself before a workout, but also before dinner. So it's usually a good indication of my weight.

Actual important results:

When I was in Edmonton cardio was a breeze, but in Calgary it's way way way way way way harder. The high altitude makes breathing really tough and I'm an asthmatic, therefore I have a hard time breathing to begin with.

At the beginning of a workout I do a half hour of fairly intense cardio, but I had noticed I was feeling really gassed very quickly. Now this problem has subsided and I'm back to my normal "Edmonton" pace. This goes the same for all strength exercises.

Been seeing more definition in my arms, legs and back but mostly in arms. Forearms are showing more veins and lines in the muscle, as well as a more defined tricep and bicep. This means. I'm losing fat, and still putting on more muscle!

I don't really want to get bigger but a little more won't hurt ;)

Now on to weights.

I can now do more chinups and as mentioned above can do dips with a 25lb weight attached to myself via belt. Bench press is up to 135lbs for 12 reps, 275lbs for 8 reps, 245 for 12 reps, 225 for 12reps. Hopefully next week that 275 will be a full set of 12.

Also when doing negatives for biceps on preachers bench, I've noticed a difference. That set is with an EZ bar with 10lbs per side. 12 reps, then 3 negatives being pulled by my gym partner. Repeat that set 3 times. Usually I get him to help me lift after each negative, but now I can pull up the weight by myself after each one. So I guess that would mean I'm gaining a bit more strength and endurance in that department.

Core and Conditioning days are rough, but are getting much easier. At the end of the set I do a lap, then 15 pushups with elevated feet and hands on a bosu ball. Feet are higher than hands so I'm holding much more weight. Anyways it goes. Run a lap moderate pace, 15 "death" pushups, sprint a lap, 30 bicycle crunches then 15 full body crunches. Repeat 3 times. Usually I'm bagged as shit and can't even breathe after one set. Now I'm feeling as though I could push the limits of that set and probably will next week.

Anyways, for those of you that care... there's my update!

See ya'll next week hahaha. 2 more weeks to go

Ben
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Start - 261
Current - 208

6'0"

Oz-
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Start - ~325 lbs & 38% bf
Current - ~260 lbs & 16% bf

5' 11"

BenC
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
im down for this too

started christmas time @ 220
current 207

5'6

Mr_ET
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Started Jan 1st

Starting weight 199-203
Currentlu 190.5-192.5

kerry
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
Start - ~325 lbs & 38% bf
Current - ~260 lbs & 16% bf

5' 11"

Holy shit man!!!!

Good work!
When did you start?

Oz-
01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by kerry

Holy shit man!!!!

Good work!
When did you start?

Decided to "running" in Sept '06, ran up to the half-marathon distance (nothing too fast). This helped with a ton with the endurance side, but now I decided to get some strength back.

Starting lifting back in Nov, so I run to the gym in the morning and then run home. This is just under 5k and takes me about 20-24 minutes each way. Good way for me to keep my cardio maintenance during the winter, plan on doing a half and then full marathon by fall 08.

My BF% test makes me laugh, everywhere is around 5-8mm (whatever that unit is on the caliper). Then you get to my gut/kidney/back area and the numbers go up a metric ton haha.

If I do get to my 2008 goal of getting down to 5-7%, then I will most likely weigh around 215-220 lbs.

Dj_Stylz
01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I really have to start something for my self. Reading this thread will set me off into the proper direction.

Ben
01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
198! Booooyah! First time in probably 8 years I've been there!

kerry
01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Congrats dude! Feel great hey!

JRSC00LUDE
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

yeah supplementscanada.com ships super fast... I should have just gone with them but bodybuilding.com is so much cheaper(depending on what you buy). I ordered my stuff on the 28th and it just arrived yesterday :rolleyes:

Question to you or Kerry.

Is the ephedrine you buy from these guys drastically different than the pseudoephedrine that is in decongestants at shoppers?

kerry
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Pseudoephedrine and Ephedrine are said to have similar effects in terms of wakefulness and energy. Basically people abuse them in the same ways as each other, but in terms of the appetite suppression or thermogenic stimulation I really don't know. I don't believe that they have the same effects in those areas as there are slight differences in their chemistry. I tried looking up the differences in detail but came up short. Mostly found that when people use something to aid in fat loss or energy, they go straight for ephedrine. I haven't read an article yet that shows someone using pseudo.

The one thing I do know is that most pseudoephedrine products usually have more in them than just the eph. When you buy Ephedrine from popeye's it's basically just ephedrine hydrochloride. It can also come as Ephedrine Sulfate but I haven't seen that variety yet.

I don't even think anything I wrote helped you out! hahaha

If you want to try out the Ephedrine, read my eph cycle thread and it explains dosages etc.

If you do want to know anything else let me know by pm dude!

Oz-
01-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Ben
198! Booooyah! First time in probably 8 years I've been there!
Fantastic job!!

Was this your ultimate goal for weight loss?

Ben
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Oz-

Fantastic job!!

Was this your ultimate goal for weight loss?

Thanks a lot! Not too shabby yourself!

Initially my goal was 225, I dropped to that in about 3 months over last years winter, and it was not near as drastic of results as I thought it would be but was happy just the same. Strict workout and diet. Over the past summer it slowly weaned down to 215. This was going to the gym never and not following any sort of diet, just being overly more active and cutting out a few select foods. But looking back I should have gained weight, lol. Gave myself another goal of 200 two Thursdays ago, only took a week and a half to hit that LOL.

Now it's all about toning up. I don't want to be any lighter really.

Darkane
01-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Initially my goal was 225, I dropped to that in about 3 months over last years winter, and it was not near as drastic of results as I thought it would be but was happy just the same. Strict workout and diet. Over the past summer it slowly weaned down to 215. This was going to the gym never and not following any sort of diet, just being overly more active and cutting out a few select foods. But looking back I should have gained weight, lol. Gave myself another goal of 200 two Thursdays ago, only took a week and a half to hit that LOL.

Sounds like it's time for a clean bulk man!

What macro's are you eating right now for loss and what do you usually do for maint?

Ben
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Macros? I just worked my ass off at the gym, 1000+cal burned in Cardio per visit minimum, some swimming, 5 days a week, tons of vegetables, chicken and zero processed foods or fatty foods. Lots of flax lentils, wild long grain rice and fish. No breads and pastas either.

No supplements, protein powders, bars, stimulants, shakes (other than all fruit shakes with rice milk). Plain oldschool hard work with whole/organic foods only.

As for maintenance, I dunno, I actually lost weight over the holidays and I ate a TON. December was a write-off for sure lol. I have a pretty active day job however and I walk everywhere around town instead of driving so I guess that makes up for it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I do need to build a good routine now however to tone this beast, lol. I may enlist in the services of one of the trainers at the Banff Springs. She's apparently extremely good.

Darkane
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
^^ Macros are the percentages of Pro, carb, fat of your daily caloric intake.

But since you're unsure.. A clean bulk might turn ugly unless carefully monitored :)

My trainer is releasing an online program real soon, it's groundbreaking and will change A LOT of people I guarantee it. I get the trail version right quick. I suggest giving it a shot when it comes out.

Essentially you input what you want be it fat loss, muscle gain, Strength, Sporting or overall fitness. It will customize a routine AND tell you what macro's to eat along with a whack of tests for your body. Then a staff client will take the data and fill in the info and generate you a program.

JordanEG6
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
^^ Macros are the percentages of Pro, carb, fat of your daily caloric intake.

But since you're unsure.. A clean bulk might turn ugly unless carefully monitored :)

My trainer is releasing an online program real soon, it's groundbreaking and will change A LOT of people I guarantee it. I get the trail version right quick. I suggest giving it a shot when it comes out.

Essentially you input what you want be it fat loss, muscle gain, Strength, Sporting or overall fitness. It will customize a routine AND tell you what macro's to eat along with a whack of tests for your body. Then a staff client will take the data and fill in the info and generate you a program.

thats awesome...keep us posted on that! is it free?

Oz-
01-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Awesome. Sounds about the same boat that I am in, losing the weight was easy, but now looking to tone/tighten up. Hardest part for me has been removing foods that I know are bad for me and avoiding situations where I won't have the "strong" willpower to overcome the bad food.

Darkane
01-26-2008, 09:48 PM

thats awesome...keep us posted on that! is it free?

Not sure on price, but I believe it will be 10/mth. Will keep updated for sure

fast95pony
01-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Congrats on your weightloss , guys !

I'm joining in a tad late.
A few years ago I dropped from 310 lbs to 230 lbs. Over the last year I've gained a bit, up to 257 lbs.
Two weeks ago my wife joined WeightWatchers ,and asked me to join to help her. So far I'm down to 252 lbs. My wife has lost over 11 lbs. We are following the WW points system. I've started running again .Right now I'm running 3 times a week , about 20kms in total.I'm hoping to increase the distance as I get fitter,and run the Half Marathon at the Calgary Marathon in July.
My wife wants to lose 80lbs , and my goal is 50lbs.

I'll update next Thursday after our next WW weigh-in.

Mr_ET
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm sitting at around 194 right now so almost 10 pounds lighter than 14 days ago.

This is on the same scale too. I am drinking a crap load of water and eating well doesn't seem that hard this time around. When I am hungry I also just have an apple or a couple carrot sticks now and I'm able to last till the next little meal.

I have also not had a single can of pop since the beginning of the month and have drastically reduced my carb intake.

Also exercising every day from home now :)

As of tonight I am at 187lbs and the goal is still around 160-162.

So from start weight of 201 to 187 is 14 pounds since January 1st :)

I'm pretty happy with how this is going.

kerry
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM

As of tonight I am at 187lbs and the goal is still around 160-162.

So from start weight of 201 to 187 is 14 pounds since January 1st :)

I'm pretty happy with how this is going.

Dude that's killer!!! Congrats man, way to keep with it. Now show all of those chumps and haters that you'll keep with it. I remember how that felt at first so congrats again.

I actually had to take a week off unfortunately. Kept the diet the same but I had a pretty bad shoulder injury last Monday as well as a huge allergy flare up and semi-cold. Back to the grind today, so I'm going to restrict my diet a little more for the next two weeks to make up for my slump.

Mark_Nguyen
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
seeing this thread brings me back to last sept. I was doing all this then and it was not easy. You guys may not have thought i was big at all but at 5'3 and weighing in at 150 was pretty heavy. I consistently went to the gym for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night and doing cardio and light weights. Today Im at 118 lbs. Im working on now gaining muscle and would like to be around 125 of muscle. I too have asthma, like a lot of you guys. Started running for no more than 10 mins and couldnt do it from the start but now i can go for 1hr on the elytical and 1 hour on the threadmill no problems.

Congrats to everyone doing this. Hope you all reach your goals

kerry
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mark_Nguyen
seeing this thread brings me back to last sept. I was doing all this then and it was not easy. You guys may not have thought i was big at all but at 5'3 and weighing in at 150 was pretty heavy. I consistently went to the gym for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night and doing cardio and light weights. Today Im at 118 lbs. Im working on now gaining muscle and would like to be around 125 of muscle. I too have asthma, like a lot of you guys. Started running for no more than 10 mins and couldnt do it from the start but now i can go for 1hr on the elytical and 1 hour on the threadmill no problems.

Congrats to everyone doing this. Hope you all reach your goals

Hey dude, it's great to hear about other people's success on here.

I wanna say (at the risk of sounding super cheesy) thanks to everyone that's taken part in this thread. All of the good stories, advice and support is fucking amazing. It really makes me happy to see we still have a great community on here at beyond aside from all of the constant bickering, and that people still want to help each other.

You guys are fucking awesome!

Mark_Nguyen
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Hey dude, it's great to hear about other people's success on here.

I wanna say (at the risk of sounding super cheesy) thanks to everyone that's taken part in this thread. All of the good stories, advice and support is fucking amazing. It really makes me happy to see we still have a great community on here at beyond aside from all of the constant bickering, and that people still want to help each other.

You guys are fucking awesome!

I'm all for this thread. Good to see that people still do care about their health. :clap:

Darkane
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
236lbs.

Doing a Timed Carb diet with glycogen refill once every 8 days on leg day.

300G pro, 50G carb, 85G fat On non-workout days
325G pro, 200G carb, 100G fat on work out days.
325G pro, 300-350G carb, 100G fat for leg day every 8 day cycle.

This has worked well for me in the past. Good luck all. :thumbsup:

note: ALL Carbs from Oats, Fruit, whole wheat pasta, and Veggies. Trace carbs from ketchup etc. No sugars except Gatorade powder mixed with post-workout shake.

Supps: Beverly International SuperPAK multi's, Cod liver oil 15-20G/day, Whey. Lots of green tea about 1.5-2L/D

EDIT: Forgot to mention this will be a diet heavy cut. No time for Cardio working shift. Lots of walking at work however.

Start Date was Jan 9th, Today I'm down to 229.5lbs. Lets say 230 for good measure :D

19 days, 6 pounds. That's damn awesome for me for two reasons:

1) I've gotten stronger on my lifts
2) Because of 1 I've lost purely fat!

Keep it up guys.

01RedDX
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Darkane
01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Way to go fatties!

jk good luck

p.s. Did I mention that I want the guy in my avatar because he's give me bow legs like the chick in my avatar.

I'm not fat, I'm big boned and husky!

:rofl:

cornelius85
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I lost 50 lbs in late 2006. Took about 3 months of following the weight watchers diet points plan. 40lb was lost purely on watching what I eat, and the last 10 I had started running. I started running 10km runs and did 4 last year. I plan on doing a half marathon this year if all goes well. I Was 230 at start and right around 180 for the last year. I have been training for almost a year at the gym now 5 days a week, and now starting to do cardio 5 days a week as well. I am happy with my progress, but wanted to start seeing more results lately. I found a program called Fit Day that logs all of your activities and everything that you eat and drink and tells you just about everything. In the last 2 weeks of keeping my calories around 2000 per day. This program really helps me to keep on track and I thought that it might help others here. They also have a free online version of it if you want to try it out. www.fitday.com is the website for anyone wanting to try it out.

Greg West

Mr_ET
01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Good to know I'll check that out tonight!

congrats on the weight loss and keep it going.

kerry
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
So I checked the old weight last night at the gym after about a week off. Didn't gain any weight which is awesome.

I forgot to post my current weight etc from last "update" as well.

Strength and lifts are the same as before, but I'm down between 232-237.

That means I've lost about 5-10 lbs but have gotten stronger. I think, as per Darkane's last post, it'd be fair to say that I've lost only fat and probably even put a bit more lean muscle on! Wooo!!!

I don't want to drop below 230 personally. I'm a pretty big dude so I'd like to keep above 230lbs. Ideally 230lbs with 6-8%bf. Maybe even around 240lbs would be acceptable. My cardio is doing great as well so time to kick it in high gear now that I'm better again!

kerry
01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cornelius85
I lost 50 lbs in late 2006. Took about 3 months of following the weight watchers diet points plan. 40lb was lost purely on watching what I eat, and the last 10 I had started running. I started running 10km runs and did 4 last year. I plan on doing a half marathon this year if all goes well. I Was 230 at start and right around 180 for the last year. I have been training for almost a year at the gym now 5 days a week, and now starting to do cardio 5 days a week as well. I am happy with my progress, but wanted to start seeing more results lately. I found a program called Fit Day that logs all of your activities and everything that you eat and drink and tells you just about everything. In the last 2 weeks of keeping my calories around 2000 per day. This program really helps me to keep on track and I thought that it might help others here. They also have a free online version of it if you want to try it out. www.fitday.com is the website for anyone wanting to try it out.

Greg West

Just checked out the site. That's a good one! And good work too man. I try to keep my caloric intake to about 2500/day as well with minimal carbs. I think that site will help me track on top of everything else. Great link!

Darkane
01-30-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't want to drop below 230 personally. I'm a pretty big dude so I'd like to keep above 230lbs. Ideally 230lbs with 6-8%bf. Maybe even around 240lbs would be acceptable.

Fairly ambitious. Just a little heads up Arnie was 235pounds (roughly 5% BF) when he competed and won Mr. Olympia :)

Arnold's Top Form Measurements

* Arms: 22 inches
* Chest: 57 inches
* Waist: 34 inches
* Thighs: 28.5 inches
* Calves: 20 inches
* Weight: 235 pounds
* Height: 6 feet 2 inches

I wanted to be no less than 230-240 too, but now that i'm here I can see me at 205-210. Like the light heavy weights in the UFC.

kerry
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Fairly ambitious. Just a little heads up Arnie was 235pounds (roughly 5% BF) when he competed and won Mr. Olympia :)

Arnold's Top Form Measurements

* Arms: 22 inches
* Chest: 57 inches
* Waist: 34 inches
* Thighs: 28.5 inches
* Calves: 20 inches
* Weight: 235 pounds
* Height: 6 feet 2 inches

I wanted to be no less than 230-240 too, but now that i'm here I can see me at 205-210. Like the light heavy weights in the UFC.

Arnie ain't got shit on me. lol

I don't know if you remember but I have a HUGE torso. Long back, wide back etc. Big fucking legs too. If I start dropping too much for my goals, I'm going to go on a mass building cycle. High caloric protein intake etc. I have too big of a body structure to be below 230 without looking like a scrawny bitch. Hahaha. That sounds fucked up. Getting bf tested on Friday! Where in Calgary does this?

cornelius85
02-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I started losing weight again when I stated using that program. I was at 180 on the 22nd, and I am at 172.6 today. The weight is actually dropping faster than I thought. I think my goal now is 165lbs. Shouldnt be too hard I don't think.

fast95pony
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
WW weigh-in last night. Week 3 : down 6.8lbs . My wife is down 13.2 lbs ! .

I haven't ran in a week due to the cold,but I did dust off my weight bench and weights.

Cornelius : how's the running going ?? I hope to run my first Half Marathon this year too.I've been having pains in my right hip. I started physio yesterday,and it's helping.

My right hip is weak,and slipping and sliding in the snowwhile running has made it worse.I'm now doing strength exercises to improve things.

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
*******Disclaimer- This is not really safe and you may die but effective**********

Ephedrine + anorexia + tuna = nocarbobs sure weight loss formula.

Seriously just take ephedrine dont eat when you eat only eat tuna and protein shakes and you will just shed the fat. On a 2 month cycle in the summer I dropped 25 pounds. And since I have started again jan 1st im down 10 pounds all ready! (I gained some weight after summer cycle)

Started at 185 in the summer now 155

kerry
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Errrr... you should still try and eat well on Ephedrine cycle. Anorexia is pretty damn unhealthy hahaha.

That sounds super unsafe. *waits for onslaught of beyonders attacking noCARbob*

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I know what im doing...as I am doing just fine!! flame me all you want but but im skinny and healthy and not fat

Mitcheh
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Errrr... you should still try and eat well on Ephedrine cycle. Anorexia is pretty damn unhealthy hahaha.

That sounds super unsafe. *waits for onslaught of beyonders attacking noCARbob*

Mitcheh gives ephedrine 2 thumbs up!

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
plus the diet comes with a badass disclaimer how many of your non extreme diets have one of them. If you want to be cool and badass take no car bobs sure weight loss formula!

kerry
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not knocking Ephedrine. Read exactly 2 threads down and you'll see that I've done a full eph cycle! ;)

I'm simply saying not eating enough can be very bad for you. You can eat, just eat healthier food if you really wanna drop. Lots of veggies, the tuna is a great suggestion, protein shakes with either water or Skim Milk etc etc etc.

I'm not skinny but not fat either. I train 6 days a week martial arts and weight training. So I'd say I'm pretty damn healthy too :thumbsup:

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
veggies are carby carbs are for sinners jesus told me not to sin.

kerry
02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Are you for real? hahaha.

That last post is almost sig material.

Fast 95 pony, congrats so far man! Great results already and good to see you're keeping with it. Your autox times are going to be faster now too :rofl:

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
seriously man im not kidding all i eat is tuna pretty much try to eat nothing with carbs lol. Im sure it is not going to go over so well in the long run feel free to use the quote I wrote it just for you! 3 cycles of 3 8mg 1 200 mg of caffein? thats nuts I only do one a day and I dont have to eat for weeks

Ben
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
you're gonna fuck your liver with all the mercury you're ingesting. Other than that, sounds like a good diet to me. Good work, I guess.

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
If mercury was good for our parents its got to be good for us. I like to think it puts hair on my chest. I need all the help I can get

Darkane
02-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by noCARbob
seriously man im not kidding all i eat is tuna pretty much try to eat nothing with carbs lol. Im sure it is not going to go over so well in the long run feel free to use the quote I wrote it just for you! 3 cycles of 3 8mg 1 200 mg of caffein? thats nuts I only do one a day and I dont have to eat for weeks

Lol, enjoy your self inflicted hypothyroidism.

Why not cut properly for life? That weight can just as easily come right back.

Mitcheh
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM

LOL @ thyroidism

You're clueless

noCARbob
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM

considering I am speeding up my metabolism it would be hyper but thanks for coming out. And obviously the weight does not come back as I did it in the summer and stopped working out for a while and only gained 5 pounds of eating extremly un healthy. So please go read some books before you comment on anything you don't know

Darkane
02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitcheh

LOL @ thyroidism

You're clueless

Wow, If you only knew how ignorant you are.

From Ironaddicts: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12322&highlight=Body+temp

This is the cheap and easy (and generally accurate) way to check your basal metabolic rate without going to the doctor, but a trip to the doc is always the best way to know exactly whats going on, but this method is well established and accurate enough for most people to get an idea of what is going on:

Take morning body temp FIRST thing in the morning BEFORE getting out of bed as soon as you awake. Record numbers for 4-5 days.

97.4-98.3 normal metabolic rate.
96.5-97.1 metabolism reduced as much as 15-20%
95.5-96-5, you be fucked, thyroid pummeled into submission.
94.5-95-5. Your metabolism is shot, extremely lowered basal metabolism.

All but the first numbers are very bad indicators for the majority of the people. A few "burn" lower normally than most people and are always on the low side, but that is usually easy to diagnose with a few questions.

IA

Then this,

EAT, metabolism usually slows down in response to calories being too low. Of course you can have thyroid issues also. But in most cases it is slow simply because energy in vs energy out is too low on a consistent basis.

When I get a trainee that has low numbers I write a diet that is over maintentence and has as many carbs as I think we can get away with and within 3 weeks to as long as three months (months for the guys/girls with REALLY hammered metabolisms) the numbers go back up in the normal range. THEN we can start a productive diet without working on a deficient system.

IA

IN SHORT:

Low cal's WILL crash the thyroid, leading to hypothyroidism. It can be fixed just like naturally occuring cases of hypothyroidism. The problem with that is most people take meds.

Also, of course I know taking ephedrine will put you into Hyperthyroidism, but honestly are you "informed" going to take it for the rest of your life? What happens when you're off it only eating minimal calories?

scortracer
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
umm Im pretty sure nobody on here would would take ephedrine for the rest of their lives. Its called cutting which is like crash dieting nobody plans on doing it for very long.

Darkane
02-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by scortracer
umm Im pretty sure nobody on here would would take ephedrine for the rest of their lives. Its called cutting which is like crash dieting nobody plans on doing it for very long.

Why crash diet when you can recomp and live a healthy lifestyle and never cut?

The point I was making is clearly this: If you go on a super low cal diet with a stimulant, your Thyroid will plummet so much that when you go back to your normal diet, your body will be in for lack of a better term Starvation mode (Hypothyroidism).

It's better to Limit certain macros of calories, and WHEN You ingest them to get the body you want for LIFE.

Why not look good at 40?

scortracer
02-04-2008, 05:53 PM
because some people need to look good in florida in a bathing suit in one month. then go back to regular healthy eating patterns after.

JWL
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Just a suggestion, but I think it would be really cool if you guys posted before, during and after pictures. That usually motivates people more when they can visually see the changes. I know it motivates me when you see those before/after pics when someone loses some weight.

kerry
02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JWL
Just a suggestion, but I think it would be really cool if you guys posted before, during and after pictures. That usually motivates people more when they can visually see the changes. I know it motivates me when you see those before/after pics when someone loses some weight.

I think she's e-macking. jk ;)

I'll try and find some old fat pics of me and take some new ones tonight if I have time.

JAYMEZ
02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow didnt even notice this thread lol!!

I guess I'll start today..

Current Weight 210.7 (Morning) , Body Fat just hovering about 10%.

Diet - Liquid Diet for 14 days (With a few bananas to help poop haha)

- Basic Weight training routine
- 30mins Cardio Mon/Wed/Fri
- 1hr Cardio Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat
(Tredmill , 15 incline , 3.5 speed) (Swimming laps after workout)

Dave P
02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Diet - Liquid Diet for 14 days (With a few bananas to help poop haha)

What does your liquid diet consist of?

brucebanner
02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Started last week.

Starting weight was 239lbs, i'm 6'4 and had 17% body fat.

Goal is to drop about 25lbs and become overall just in better shape while gaining a bit of muscle along the way.

Hey Kerry. give me a couple weeks to get into the swing of things and then maybe i'll finally take you up on that offer so you can kick my ass at the gym haha.

kerry
02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey bruceod,

Whenever you wanna come out man! I'm always looking for new gym partners!

Archea
02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I am working on this as well right now....

I have been going to the gym now for...almost 3 months....a min of 3 times a week...first month I just was walking/jogging...

Then I had my trainer to help me with core strength...

Now I have added high rep low weight things focused on my legs and arms...

Its been pretty good for me so far....I wont post my starting weight :P

So far I was at a BMI of 27....now I am down to 22...

I am still not completely satisfied though...My weight has plateaued......and I cant seem to get it moving regardless of how much cardio I do...I have been putting on more muscle...but at the same time, I still would like to lose about 15lbs more...

Any suggestions for diet that would help?

I eat 3 small meals a day...and have one snack...I drink a lot of water...I just seem to have plateaued again...and I cant get off this one very easily

:banghead: :banghead:

kerry
02-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Alright I'll do a quick post followed by a long ass one.

First off BMI's are bullshit. Worry about your body fat percentage. My BMI says I should be like 185lbs. No way I'd be healthy at that weight.

When you do workout, the more muscle you work the more calories you burn therefore the more fat you can essentially lose. Chest, Back, Legs are obviously the biggest. Take some fairly easy compound workouts and keep with those on set days. Cardio every day for a half hour. You don't have to go super hard on everything. If you do lower intensity cardio and lower weights, you'll still see results as long as you work the right muscle groups and give yourself rest.

Post your weight! Get over the insecurity and be proud of what you've done man! If anyone on here is a dick about your weight I'll ban them ;)

If you've plateaued, try changing your routine or times of day you work out. Start in the morning (I'll explain more into this later if no one beats me to it). Eat 5 times a day but smaller meals. That'll jump start your metabolism. Keep drinking lots of water to help keep you satiated but don't over do it and be bloated all day.

Diet that would help? See my diet ideas at the start of this thread. They worked for me fairly well and continue to!

Hope that helps a little. I'll post more later.

Archea
02-05-2008, 02:04 PM
LOL
well we women tend to be shy about the whole weight thing

lets just say I was 230 when I started :S

I am down to 185 now...

I am a tall girl....I dont want to use the cliche "big bone structure" but hey....When I was 230 most people guessed I was 180....so....I guess sturdy is a good use of the word...

I am supposed to be 150 for 5"10-11 which I think is kinda b/s because I dont have rolls, lumps, saggyness or any of the common "fat" lol...Hell I never even did the whole muffin top thing...

I watch my diet VERY closely...but my metabolism is super slow..I havent ever been able to speed it up....If I were to eat when I was hungry....I would eat maybe once every day...and even then a small meal....

If someone could like...can a metabolism booster that actually works....Things would have been a lot easier....

I would love to be at 160. But a lean 160 not a muscle-y 160....

I did the body fat percentage thing as well....I started at 32% now I am down to 26.5% (As of a few days ago)

So instead of working out at night you think I should try working out in the morning?? I work 3 jobs...so evenings are kinda the only time I really have....(8pm) Plus where I am right now...Its at least an hour each time, and I work at 7:30 haha...Plus all the time to shower, dry my hair, and get dressed....I would have to get to the gym at 4:30 am!! :eek:

Darkane
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
^^ It sounds like your metabolism is tired. It needs a break.

Do this simple test:

Use an oral thermometer in the morning. Record the temp BEFORE you even get out of bed. That will give a good indication of where your body temp is. Also try to do it on a "Normal" day :D

To get your thyroid functions back to normal levels, you will need to eat more. Eating clean foods can maintain where you are now and then when you're reset cut again properly and you'll be golden!

Darkane
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by scortracer
because some people need to look good in florida in a bathing suit in one month. then go back to regular healthy eating patterns after.

I was unaware "Regular healthy eating" as you put it made you fat.

There is a difference between what people THINK healthy eating is and what it actually is.

Eating low fat yogurt with tons of added sugar is NOT healthy eating. But it comes with added vitamin A and it's low in fat! HA.

scortracer
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I know what regular healthy eating is. I'm not a retard so if you don't want to say anything productive then stop typing