PDA

View Full Version : How does Repeating a Course work at U of C?

Disoblige
01-08-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm a first year Engineering student and was wondering how I would go about repeating one course. I thought it would be easy to look it up but not much info is provided online. For example, if I wanted to repeat a course that's only available in the Fall (i.e. ENGG 205), how does this work?

I certainly hope I don't have to wait until the following year because I'd like to move onto 2nd year for Fall 08' with all my required courses, not the year after. :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
01-08-2008, 03:48 AM
If the course isn't offered, you have to wait until it is. In your case, it would be the following year. Check the spring/summer schedule and see if its offered then.

Disoblige
01-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Unfortunately I can only view up to Winter 08 schedule. But from the looks of the Spring 07 and Summer 07 list, I don't think my course is offered then. I really hope there is another alternative than waiting for next fall. Will call the office about it tomorrow.

I wonder why other courses are available, but one of the hardest Engg classes is only offered once.

LongCity
01-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Weeding out.

dimi
01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
As far as I remember 205 is offered in the spring. What course did you fail:dunno:

Disoblige
01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Great on the confirmation for 205. Thanks! I didn't fail it, I just got owned like never before and it killed my GPA.

dimi
01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Great on the confirmation for 205. Thanks! I didn't fail it, I just got owned like never before and it killed my GPA.

I certainly hope I don't have to wait until the following year because I'd like to move onto 2nd year for Fall 08' with all my required courses, not the year after.

The only reason why anyone would want to repeat 205 is because they failed it. If it wasn't offered in spring/summer then you said you want to take it next year when your GPA doesn't really matter anymore since you are already in your intended concentration. :dunno:

adidas
01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I certainly hope I don't have to wait until the following year because I'd like to move onto 2nd year for Fall 08' with all my required courses, not the year after. :thumbsdow

Dont lie to us, its noticeable.

BrknFngrs
01-08-2008, 11:57 PM
If you didn't fail don't retake it, if you did and its close see if you can "fight" for some marks to get you a passing grade.

Ajay
01-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
If you didn't fail don't retake it, if you did and its close see if you can "fight" for some marks to get you a passing grade.

:werd:

If you need some marks to make you pass just go talk to the prof. If you present yourself in a polite manner usually you can walk away with some marks. Not all profs are asses.

Another option you have is to see if it's offered by correspondence by an accepted school. If it is you have to apply for permission to take it and still get admission from the school you plan on taking it from via correspondence. Not entirely sure if this process would work for engineering classes but it's worth finding out about.

Disoblige
01-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by dimi

The only reason why anyone would want to repeat 205 is because they failed it. If it wasn't offered in spring/summer then you said you want to take it next year when your GPA doesn't really matter anymore since you are already in your intended concentration. :dunno:

Originally posted by adidas

Dont lie to us, its noticeable.

Interesting how you guys can judge that someone who didn't fail would not retake it? :thumbsdow

I never said I WANTED to take it next year if it wasn't available in Spring/Summer, but I would HAVE to. I said it would simply SUCK if I had to. This is because I would likely not make the competitive average to enter the type of Engg I want to go into.

kylejw
01-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Do courses taken in spring/summer even affect the GPA they use for choosing departments? I can't remember now, but it's definately something to look into especially if youre considering retaking a class you didnt fail...

boredengineer
01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Interesting how you guys can judge that someone who didn't fail would not retake it? :thumbsdow

It is true though. If you did not fail the class in ENGG there is absolutly no reason to retake the course. Your GPA already got nuked but as long as you have your D it is pointless to repeat the class. A D in ENGG can be used as a pre requisite for any other faculty(one of the magic little features of ENGG)...

This is because I would likely not make the competitive average to enter the type of Engg I want to go into.

It doesn't matter if you retake the class. You already lost your chance and redoing the class will not help to get into the type of ENGG you want... Read: http://wcmprod1.ucalgary.ca/schulich/node/365 Sorry to rain on your parade but if you take another year to finish your courses you end up in a lower priority bracket again since you are not taking a full course load. Might be the time to go down to the ENGG office and have a chat with the counsellors there... Retaking a course during the spring/summer does not count towards your GPA for admissions.

Priority for program placement is determined in May.

Sorry to bear bad news but ENGG in first year is all about weeding sadly... One slip up and you are in a world of hurt.

rc2002
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
If you do decide to retake it, you better pass because if you don't pass it the second time (C- or better), the faculty will ask you to withdraw from engineering.

I would try and apply anyway. You might get lucky and get your concentration of choice. I transferred into engineering from a different faculty so I was low on the priority list. I still got into the highest demand program though.

Weeding out is a cornerstone for the engineering faculty. A lot of people I knew from first year didn't make it through. There's only 653 spots available for second year students, but there's more first year students than that. Don't forget about students who didn't finish in their first year, transfer students from other universities and transfer students from other faculties within the U of C.

Chemical Engineering: 74
Civil Engineering: 76
Computer Engineering: 55
Electrical Engineering: 98
Geomatics Engineering: 50
Manufacturing Engineering: 44
Mechanical Engineering: 116
Oil & Gas Engineering: 40
Software Engineering: 43
Biomedical Engineering Specialization: 32
Energy & Environment Specialization: 25

dimi
01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

It is true though. If you did not fail the class in ENGG there is absolutly no reason to retake the course. Your GPA already got nuked but as long as you have your D it is pointless to repeat the class. A D in ENGG can be used as a pre requisite for any other faculty(one of the magic little features of ENGG)...

:werd:

ENGG 205 should be the last thing on your mind now with Physics (Magnetism) coming up in 2nd semester. Good Luck

Shift_Perform
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
where do u check information about summer/spring courses?

I want to know how long a summer course is, what class is available, what times are available...

anyone know the link to this?

Disoblige
01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

Retaking a course during the spring/summer does not count towards your GPA for admissions.

Priority for program placement is determined in May.

Ah, didn't know about that. I see now guys. No use in repeating then I suppose