PDA

View Full Version : Dealership vs Shop: Cost of maintenance

treg50
01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have an idea of what these 4 jobs would cost all together (before tax)?

New transmission fluid
New spark plugs
New brake fluid
Oil change

Using all stock/normal dealership-quality/ OEM-quality product.

Is it safe to say the dealership is more trustworthy than a shop? Are shops always cheaper? Are shops better?

G-ZUS
01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
You're shitting me right? You shouldn't be allowed to drive if you can't change your fluids and spark plugs unless you're a girl, and even then.

topmade
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
For stuff like that any joe blow shop should be able to do it cheaper then a dealer. Plus if you're in TO I don't think we'll be much help telling you which shop is better, unless you plan on driving here to get that done.

Originally posted by G-ZUS
You're shitting me right? You shouldn't be allowed to drive if you can't change your fluids and spark plugs unless you're a girl, and even then.
You shouldn't be able to post if you seriously can't think of one reason why someone wouldn't be able to do it themselves.

rc2002
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Does anyone have an idea of what these 4 jobs would cost all together (before tax)?

New transmission fluid
New spark plugs
New brake fluid
Oil change

Using all stock/normal dealership-quality/ OEM-quality product.

Is it safe to say the dealership is more trustworthy than a shop? Are shops always cheaper? Are shops better?

Call around and see. Some shop rates are just as high as dealer rates. Some are significantly lower. Depending on the shop, I could see it costing at least 2 hours in labour.

The spark plugs are a now brainer. Takes 5 minutes and will cost only a few dollars a piece. The fluids require getting your hands dirty. I did oil, transmission fluid, and brake fluid on my Integra using OEM fluids (I used Mobil 1 for motor oil) for under $100.

2EFNFAST
01-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

You do realize that not everybody here drives a 20yr old junker and that on some cars changing plugs isn't the easiest thing to do.

Sailz
01-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

You do realize that not everybody here drives a 20yr old junker and that on some cars changing plugs isn't the easiest thing to do.

Agreed!

Redlyne_mr2
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM
not everyone has a spot to do the work or even tools for that matter.
working at $100 hour
New transmission fluid 1 hour labor plus fluid about $140
New spark plugs 1 hour labor plus plugs $150
New brake fluid 1 hour labor plus fluid $130
Oil change .5 labor plus fluid, filter, gasket $58

Total $478, thats just a rough estimate, GTA has a ton of AAA Asian maintainance shops that charge like $60/hour shop rates. Some are better than others. Its a honda so its super easy to work on nonetheless.

Going to the dealership isnt necessary but I would recommend oem filters and parts.