PDA

View Full Version : importing rolling shell from the states???

ekguy
01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Here's a question I've been wondering for a while. What is the procedure to importing a rolling shell from the states...I will be done college in the near future and was wondering how hard it would be to import a decent fd rolling shell...It seems to me I would save alot of money by buying an fd with no engine and just having a fresh engine installed rather than finding one out here for 20ish....or paying 13ish for a piece of shit rhd. Thats a fad I refuse to buy into at any time ever.

Is it the same as importing a working car if the vehicle still has a clean title??

01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I would assume it would fall under the same guidlines as importing any other driving car, unless of course you plan on swapping vins/ID tags.

Regardless of you having a CDN engine put in, its still an american car.

ekguy
01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
i would never switch vins or id tags on a vehicle...I want to have an fd or another fc after college...I have missed my rotary powered car ever since I sold it. Live and learn...At least after college i'll be able to afford the maintenance on a rotary hehe. I was also thinking maybe importing an rx8 since they seem to be crazy cheap in the states at this point. Anyone on here actually mod an rx8 or do we just have a bunch of stockers rolling around???

finboy
01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
i made some calls about this when i found a good deal on an e36, apperantly as long as it has a clean title it can be brought in (and its on the riv admissable list), but you still have to get it through a provincial inspection w/i 45 days

403Gemini
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
i would never switch vins or id tags on a vehicle...I want to have an fd or another fc after college...I have missed my rotary powered car ever since I sold it. Live and learn...At least after college i'll be able to afford the maintenance on a rotary hehe. I was also thinking maybe importing an rx8 since they seem to be crazy cheap in the states at this point. Anyone on here actually mod an rx8 or do we just have a bunch of stockers rolling around???

dont beat yourself up too much man, you needed a reliable car and hondas were a good bet especially when you first moved here.

I remeber how much you kept praising your rx-7 haha :thumbsup:

ekguy
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
and i'll keep praising em they are great cars...I'm still going to keep the ek after college and have fun with it but keep it reliable. I want to have a weekend cruiser as a gift for all my hard work in school hehe. And I am pretty sure 45 days would be plenty of time to get an engine in as long as I would have everything setup before i bring it over. Won't be for another year yet just going to have to get the ball rolling within the year if I want this done. Either way it should be fun. So do I still have to do the send the forms and leave the car at the border thing for 2 days and all that??

Hakkola
01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 410440
I would assume it would fall under the same guidlines as importing any other driving car, unless of course you plan on swapping vins/ID tags.

Regardless of you having a CDN engine put in, its still an american car.

How disassembled does a vehicle have to be to be considered a kit car? That one guy brought up parts for an MR2 spyder which was on the inadmissable list, put it together himself and drives it legally in Canada.