PDA

View Full Version : Working at a Dealership

sgouki
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey guys.
I just wanted some input for career opps in the Car industry. I know that it varies from place to place, but if you guys could provide me with your takes on hows life, working at your job as a sales associate, car detailer, etc. That would be great.

I just got a call from Calgary BMW for lot attendant and just wanted some insight to the job and perhaps other peoples experiences in other dealers.

Thanks

TomcoPDR
01-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Detailing - Lot Attendant =

- It's pretty fun when you're under 21-23.5, get to tell people you've driven new vehicles
- Hang out with (USUALLY 420 friendly ppl)
- Low stress, don't have to worry about getting fired as most places are always hiring detailer/lot
- Sense of self-importance because you're the last person to touch the vehicle before given to customer (i.e. new vehicle delivery, free wash after service)
- Everyone at the dealership is always looking for "YOU/your group" making you feel important (i.e. sales, bodyshop, service trying to locate vehicles :rofl: )
- If the dealership you're going to work for stores their extra inventory off site, I've "heard" of cases where some of the guys take extra time tripping vehicles, do some visits, site seeing around the block, go back to their own high school and chill, etc... etc...
- Usually get to wash/detail your ride for free

Edit: I've only last 1 week in sales, so couldn't really tell you much.

drtoohotty1
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
the hailman has hit most of the points on the head in terms of +'s to the job but there is always a downside. Being a lot attendant you will be taking shit from everybody and i mean everybody from the managers to the sales guys to do everything from finding a car beacuse they are to lazy to getting them lunch! even the mechanics will hunt you down if they cant find a car... being a lot attendant this time of year also sucks because if you get lucky enough to drive a car for more then 5 minutes and it warms up you then get to get out freeze your ass off and start the process all over again with a different car, parking all the cars can be a pain in the ass especailly when you get a bunch of inventory and no place to put it. Doing the paperwork for new cars comming in also a pain in the ass so much repetitive writing. And all this for a hell of a lot less then you would get paid anywhere else! IMO stay away!

Redlyne_mr2
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
There are some bad dealerships in this city, but I guess it depends on what kind of person you are. People deal with certain attitudes and situations differently, you may be able to handle working at one dealer while not at another. If you decide to stick it out and get the the management level or even the sales level you'll start to see things that either really bother you or you're fine with at which point you can make your decision from there. As for a lot attendant, look for a laid back sales manager who is organized. That will make your job easier.

sgouki
01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I was looking at the lot attendant positions but noticed that country hills toyota had a sales position opened. I hope sales won't be too bad.